User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Would you choose to be born?

Given the state of the world, your life, relationships, childhood, career, finances, whatever do you think you would've have better off never having graced the earth's surface?

Do you wish your parents would've done more planning when it came to your birth?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ

As often as I lemented the fact as a teenager, I am glad I was born, now. I wouldn't want to have been born later, though, not now. I have a bad feeling about the future

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    type

I often reconsider, but I feel that I am needed here.

Not here on the forum, but here in the space I inhabit, with those whose lives have entwined mine.

From that perspective, the decision to be or cease to be is not mine to make.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I am so thankful I was born. Sometimes when I consider the greater possibility of my never being born, it's a little frightening. I feel a really strong drive to live and appreciate it with all its pain and suffering.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I was subject to a general recall some years back, to be replaced factory refurbished; so the matter no longer concerns me.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I was subject to a general recall some years back, to be replaced factory refurbished; so the matter no longer concerns me.

Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Given the state of the world, your life, relationships, childhood, career, finances, whatever do you think you would've have better off never having graced the earth's surface?
    Honestly, sometimes I'm not sure.

And sometimes the thought of living eternally in some state (spirit?) scares me more than eventual dissolution.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

It depends on what other options I have. Life or eternal unconscious?
    If that was the case then I'd choose life. I do wish some circumstances could have been different, but I'm working through them alright, for now.

MBTI
    INTJ

Nope, I would not choose to be born. But I am in an existensial crisis... I don't know if I will say the same in 5 years time, although I suspect it, but I hope not.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Campbell
    In Rome, suicide was a noble act. When one was about to be captured, which would mean living a disgraceful like, there was suicide, a practice that went on among the Celts too. There is a Hellenistic picture of a Celt killing himself and his wife as they're about to be capture.

In Japan, the highest example of ceremonial suicide is hara-kiri, an interesting and subtle ritual act. A man who has conspicuously failed in the performance of his duty, which he places above is personal wish, commits hara-kiri, for it is the only thing that can redeem him from the disgrace. The man who is to commit hara-kiri kneels in the center of a tatami mat, the four corners of which are marked off by objects -- like Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John around Christ; the motif of the center and the four points. He inserts his sword, the symbol of his nobility and honor, into the right side of his belly, and carries it across and down. He must fall face forward. It is an extremely painful way to kill yourself. You can't just stab and go out. It is a deliberate act, and a matter of honor that you experience the whole thing. Th the woman's counter-part of hara-kiri, she cuts her jugular vein -- a different act, but the sense is the same.

And Indian aristocrat, whose sword is his honor, can behead himself. You can't practice this one either. The way it's done, according to the illustrations, is you bend down a pliant sapling, attach a rope to it, put the rope around your head, bend over, take your sword, and cut off your head. The farther the tree pitches your head, the greater the merit you've gained by the act. You are immediately translated to wherever the merit has brought you, and your friends 'round about know what has happened. This type of suicide has high dignity and belongs to the ritual practice of the community.