• SJ Vegetarian/Vegan

1 0.96%
  • SP Vegetarian/Vegan

3 2.88%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think if we've proved anything, it's that there isn't an optimal human diet. Some posters have said they feel healthier and more energetic when eating meat, and some when eating a vegetarian diet. Our bodies don't all work the same. Hence my live and let live viewpoint.

I would still be curious to see a vegan explain the reasoning behind a vegan diet. As I've said, I understand the reasoning for a vegetarian diet, but I've never heard a vegan explain their point of view.
    "The most common reasons for becoming a vegan are an ethical commitment or moral conviction concerning animal rights, the environment, human health, and spiritual or religious concerns."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    "The most common reasons for becoming a vegan are an ethical commitment or moral conviction concerning animal rights, the environment, human health, and spiritual or religious concerns."

That sounds like some politician wrote it. I don't know if that really says anything. I swear I'm not being argumentative. I shall do some internet searching.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

That sounds like some politician wrote it. I don't know if that really says anything. I swear I'm not being argumentative. I shall do some internet searching.
    You said you knew the vegetarian reasoning, so why would you think the vegan motivation would be any less values-oriented?
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    You said you knew the vegetarian reasoning, so why would you think the vegan motivation would be any less values-oriented?
    Well, I think it's common sense that it would be values-oriented. I just don't know what the specific values are. They aren't the same as vegetarian values, because vegetarians don't see a problem with eating dairy or eggs. Vegans are more restrictive in their diets, and so they must have additional values that vegetarians lack and that I am unfamiliar with. For example, I don't think vegans have a problem with wearing wool, but harvesting eggs from chickens, milk from cows and wool from sheep all seem about the same to me. That's why I was asking what vegans believe.

With no intended disrespect to Wedekit, that definition simply listed the relevant topics, not the vegan perspective on those topics. It's akin to asking someone what they based their vote on and getting "Gun control, abortion and the economy" for an answer. You don't learn anything about what they believe from that answer.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

What I don't understand about vegetarianism/veganism is, if it's for moral reasons, how do you logically reconcile that morality with the fact that if you were in any other time period you wouldn't have anywhere near the technology or agriculture to sustain your current level of health. Vegetarians have existed in the past, sure, but they weren't nearly as comfortable.
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    What I don't understand about vegetarianism/veganism is, if it's for moral reasons, how do you logically reconcile that morality with the fact that if you were in any other time period you wouldn't have anywhere near the technology or agriculture to sustain your current level of health. Vegetarians have existed in the past, sure, but they weren't nearly as comfortable.
    I think the answer to that would be that with greater technology/intelligence/awareness comes greater responsibility. For instance, bears eat fish, but bears aren't as intelligent as we are and aren't expected to have moral frameworks. Even if we're designed to eat both animals and plants (and yes, I understand that is in dispute here), we should be able to act on our moral complexity and use our intelligence to find an alternative to eating animals if one is available. By the same logic, people would not be as culpable for eating animals in times when technology did not provide the opportunity for a well-balanced and nutritious vegetarian diet to be widely available.

Of course, I like hamburgers, so I'm just speculating

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Actually many vegans don't wear wool, or leather, or eat honey. I was briefly a vegan for health reasons (I hoped it would cure my lust for junk food; it didn't, although I felt healthier, but also my family complained) but I still wore wool and ate honey. A vegan who is vegan for philosophical reasons probably wouldn't. There are a bunch at my daughter's school, every year she has had at least one vegan kid in her class. This year the vegan is an evangelist which my daughter thinks is annoying.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    Zhang Bob posted THIS at INTPcentral.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    If you click on my link to a post by Zhang Bob on INTPc, that will explain the anatomy thing in detail.

Well, I think it's common sense that it would be values-oriented. I just don't know what the specific values are. They aren't the same as vegetarian values, because vegetarians don't see a problem with eating dairy or eggs. Vegans are more restrictive in their diets, and so they must have additional values that vegetarians lack and that I am unfamiliar with. For example, I don't think vegans have a problem with wearing wool, but harvesting eggs from chickens, milk from cows and wool from sheep all seem about the same to me. That's why I was asking what vegans believe.
    I am not a Vegan, but I assure you most Vegans (ethical ones anyway) would have a problem with wool, after all they don't tend to wear silk nor do they eat honey for god's sake.

The reason vegans don't drink milk is because it's an necessity for the cow to give birth in order to lactate just like any other mammals, meaning that dairy consumption supports the meat industry by increasing the population of animals that cannot be sustained for any other purpose, as well as the sealing the calf's natural source of milk.

The reason vegans don't eat eggs is the same sort of reasons people who are against abortion tend to have. They consider eating eggs tantamount to the killing of an animal.

As for wool, Vegans would argue modern sheep are 'Frankenstein Sheep' in that scientists have bred and modified sheep over many years to generate unnatural amounts of wool entirely for human needs, which often means sheep have enough wool to equal its very own body weight. Also, they would say the wool shearing process causes quite a lot of suffering for the sheep. When wool is sheared the wool is cut so fine to the sheepís skin that skin is in fact torn off as well.

I could explain the other things vegans are against like yeast, honey, and silk, but I need to really go to sleep now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Poll Conclusion: SJ's Obviously do not like taking polls
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

if you think about it, nothing we eat wasn't alive at one time. its the natural cycle of life, eating what once had life to continue your own.

besides, who says plants don't have feelings too? :P

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"