1 0.96%
  • SP Vegetarian/Vegan

3 2.88%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    *frowns* That's not how humans define vegetarians... Eating meat only once a week is enough to be called a "meat eater". What horrid double standard people keep.
    Actually, that's how most people think with animals. As soon as a chicken eat's one insect, it's no longer an herbivore. The herbivore, omnivore, carnivore decision should be made based on the digestive systems, and the typical behavior of the animal.

Zhang Bob posted THIS at INTPcentral. When participating there, I realized that humans only eat meat because it's generally drenched in or covered in plant substances and salt is involved to. Do you know how unappealing meat would be if you couldn't use salt or herbs and spices to make it taste good? Also, technically, humans are the only organisms I know of that cook and prepare meat rather than just eating it raw off the bones or with the bones. It makes wonder if carnivores such as lions and tigers and bears (OH MY!) find raw meat to be rather delicious and rewarding.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    Actually, that's how most people think with animals. As soon as a chicken eat's one insect, it's no longer an herbivore. The herbivore, omnivore, carnivore decision should be made based on the digestive systems, and the typical behavior of the animal.

Zhang Bob posted THIS at INTPcentral. When participating there, I realized that humans only eat meat because it's generally drenched in or covered in plant substances and salt is involved to. Do you know how unappealing meat would be if you couldn't use salt or herbs and spices to make it taste good? Also, technically, humans are the only organisms I know of that cook and prepare meat rather than just eating it raw off the bones or with the bones. It makes wonder if carnivores such as lions and tigers and bears (OH MY!) find raw meat to be rather delicious and rewarding.
    Actually, I'm not too fond of vegetables without herbs and spices either. Just sayin'.

Fruit gets a pass.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Most people seem to like nuts, grains, and some fruits and vegetables.

I hate carrots, green peas, and many other green vegetables.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    I don't think primitive man had any Mrs. Dash handy, and yet he ate meat. It puzzles me that you think meat would be unappealing without seasoning. What would be the motivation for using spices to fool ourselves into enjoying meat if it really wasn't that tasty? Meat is harder to produce and more expensive than plant foods, yet is still extremely popular around the world. I don't think those things could both be true if it wasn't satisfying and tasty.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Try eating plain meat everyday and see what happens.

I'm sure primitive people have salt, and I doubt it was uncommon for them to make stews where everything in it sorta tastes like the salty juice. Also, if you're starving, you'll eat just about anything.

MBTI
    INFJ

I've been a vegetarian since about my sophomore/junior year of high school. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat.

1) I think the way we mass produce animals for the sake of slaughtering them "efficiently" is in sum: fucked up. The conditions most of these animals are grown in are totally unacceptable. It is disrespectful to all life on this planet. I have a deep respect for the Islamic "code of conduct" (halal) when it comes to eating meat: The animal has to be raised, fed, and killed in humane/natural ways or you cannot eat it.

2) I feel healthier now that I quit eating it. A couple of my friends quit eating meat temporarily just to see if they could do it, and they both admitted to feeling physically "cleaner." I believe they are both back to eating meat, but I commend them for giving it a shot. I have had my blood tested several times to make sure I was getting all the things I need. I am sometimes annoyed by the "myths" of becoming a vegetarian. Protein is not something you need to worry about unless you do not eat vegetables either.

3) Most of my family members hunt, and I don't really have a problem with it. They kill the deer, they cut all the meat off of it themselves, they take the remains out into the woods. If you leave the remains out overnight and go back into the woods the next morning, all but some of the bones will be gone. It seems a little more "natural" that way.

4) My mom became a vegetarian since she was 5 years old. She grew up on a farm. Her mom (my Granny) asked her to come into the kitchen one day and to hold down a chicken on the counter for her. The next thing she knows is that my Granny hacked the chicken's head off right in front of her. My mom refused to eat meat ever since then, but she never tried to force it on me or any of my brothers. Eating meat actually gives her hives. So I think it was easier for my to become a vegetarian because I had support from my mom.

5) Many biologists and anthropologists that study our anatomy will argue that we are not natural carnivores. This is more of a random fact I'm throwing out there, not a reason why people should be vegetarians.

Edit: Please do not assume I am a prominent member of PETA. I don't agree with the way they go about advertising their cause.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    5) Many biologists and anthropologists that study our anatomy will argue that we are not natural carnivores. This is more of a random fact I'm throwing out there, not a reason why people should be vegetarians.
    If you click on my link to a post by Zhang Bob on INTPc, that will explain the anatomy thing in detail.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't eat much meat, unless I'm in a situation where meat-based dishes are all that's offered. I'm not a huge fan of meat other than seafood, and I love vegetables. But I tried going vegetarian for a few months, and found that I just didn't have the energy I had as a person that eats meat sparingly.

I don't really get the vegan thing either, but sometimes quitting dairy can make you feel less sluggish.

I really hate the idea of killing animals for food, though I know humans were designed to be omnivores.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I really hate the idea of killing animals for food, though I know humans were designed to be omnivores.
    Well, as we mentioned above, we weren't necessarily designed to eat meat; we seem to be more like herbivores. However, I don't think that's a strong argument for why people shouldn't eat meat. Obviously our bodies weren't meant to smoke either, but people know that and consciously still do it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

I think if we've proved anything, it's that there isn't an optimal human diet. Some posters have said they feel healthier and more energetic when eating meat, and some when eating a vegetarian diet. Our bodies don't all work the same. Hence my live and let live viewpoint.

I would still be curious to see a vegan explain the reasoning behind a vegan diet. As I've said, I understand the reasoning for a vegetarian diet, but I've never heard a vegan explain their point of view.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari