1 0.96%
  • SP Vegetarian/Vegan

3 2.88%
First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I am a meat eater who eats less meat than is normal for the culture I grew up in.
    This is me too. I was a vegan for awhile but my family rebelled. We only eat meat (any kind, fish/chicken/pork/beef) maybe once a week though.

Also, I'd like to use this opportunity to put in a pitch for bison. That stuff is bad ass. Less fat than chicken, more flavor than beef.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESTJ

I'm a vegetarian and I have thought about this topic as well. I realized that I cannot change the world by not eating meat. In fact if everyone decided to become vegeterian or vegan a lot of animals would cease to exist. Domestic chickens, pigs, cows, and other species would die off. We wouldn't have a need for them and they can't very well survive on their own...

Meh...I wonder how I should feel about that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to eat vegetarian dishes more often than not. Why? Meat makes me feel worse, and it's generally more expensive.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Mice are omnivores, although veggie, fruit and grain is high on the menu.

Vegetarian. I preferred vegetarian food over meat before becoming one, and at some point.. I just didn't see any point in eating meat so I stopped. Also there are some ecological convictions behind the decision. I still do eat dairy and eggs though, I don't see aything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Actually, I admire that. The vegetarian I respect the most tells me his reasoning is that he wouldn't be able to bring himself to kill an animal for food, so he won't eat animals others have killed on his behalf.
    Strange, this is what I use as a reasoning also. Except that I have killed animals before (damn fishing) and could do it again, yet don't want to use my so-called 'right'.

And lastly, a question for vegetarians. I just thought of this now, so it might be stupid. Would you eat an animal that had died of natural causes? I know nothing about farming or animal husbandry, so I don't know if such animals would be safe for human consumption. But do you think there would be a market for "Vegetarian-Safe" meat, where dairy cows, chickens kept for egg production, and other animals live out their lives instead of being slaughtered?
    As an idea it's okay to me, but in reality.. Bad idea. For sanitary reasons, the growth of bacteria and so on.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Are you a vegetarian?

Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, could you repeat that question . . .

What is your reasoning?
    Yup. My answer if I wasnít would be pretty boring to so itís prolly a good thing.

My reason initially was simple, as far back as I (and my mother) can remember I never liked the taste of red meat or seafood, the only exception was white meat. When I was about 13 I got really bad food-poisoning from chicken and that was it for me.

My family didnít support this so my diet was un-balanced and unhealthy as a result, for health reasons I wanted to go back to eating meat again and on my 21st birthday I tried to eat some chicken (was a stupid dare I had with a friend who didnít like seafood, I won btw ) I realised mentally/morally I canít eat it now either.

I donít care if those around me eat meat but for 1. taste and 2. mental/moral reasons I donít and never will again.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Mice are omnivores, although veggie, fruit and grain is high on the menu.
    I'm not keen on what mice eat. I do believe that it's best to consider animals that eat 90% plant food as herbivores instead of having an eats-nothing-but-plants view (same thing with carnivores). Sometimes when herbivores are desperate they start to expand their diets to include insects/animals because it sure beats going hungry or starving to death. Sometimes the herbivore doesn't mind an occasional snack from the animal kingdom.

MBTI
    INtP

Mine is odd, but I only eat meat if I killed it. Sounds horrible doesn't it?
    I'm with FMW - I consider this an admirable thing. Not only does it (I'm assuming) get you out of the factory-meat industry, it keeps you more in touch with a thorough understanding of where meat comes from. It's not something that I follow myself, but it's certainly not horrible - quite the contrary.

Are you a vegetarian?
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, could you repeat that question . . .
    What is your reasoning?
    I'm not a vegetarian, so I answered "meat eater" - although I really eat very little meat - here are some main reasons:

1. I'm a very picky eater when it comes to most meat. No fat/gristle, very well done, no bones, no pre-packaged sandwich "meat". I'd much rather eat vegetable-centric dishes, where I'm really not very picky at all, than risk a meat dish that I won't like.
    2. Meat's expensive (especially with how picky I am). Veggies/Fruits/Grains are cheaper.
    3. Meat takes time to prepare - usually I'm eating alone, and I don't particularly care enough to want to spend a lot of time cooking.
    4. Beans, rice, etc. don't go bad easily, and they're easy to store in the pantry.
    5. Smaller environmental footprint - I'm not so environmentally conscious that I'd consider this a major reason - but I like the idea. Eating plants is simply more efficient.
    6. I don't find meat particularly tasty, in itself. Most of what I like about its taste, in almost all cases, are the spices and stuff that goes with it. I really like chicken marinaded in citrus, for example... but I like the citrus by itself too.

Having said that, I do eat meat occasionally. I'll order turkey/chicken at sandwich shops, I eat sausage pizza occasionally, and I make a GOOD slow-cooked pot roast (my one exception to not liking meat's taste itself ). It's just something I do in moderation.

But I could never go vegan... I LOVE cheese.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Answered 'meat-eater' as well, although I'm not really huge on the meat products. When I was a kid, my mom used to make a lot of red meat and pork products [steak, burgers, pork chops, things like that..] and I eventually grew pretty tired of the redundancy. Go figure that she makes chicken more often than anything now- when I don't live with them.
    In any case, I don't agree that animals should be treated as cruelly as they are in some places. I can't understand the necessity behind beating a slaughter-house cow to death before just killing it. People are insanely out of hand when it comes to animal violence, especially in meat houses. Even so, it isn't something that I find myself thinking about...I sort of just go by what I'm craving at the time. It might sound horrible, but...I'm an omnivore, that's how people were made...there is a food chain to follow. I respect vegetarians in their choices, so I would never encourage or push a vegetarian to eat meat just because it is human nature. However, I do think it is natural for us to consume both- just as it's natural for any animal to eat what they eat- whether they are herbivores, carnivores, or both. It's the food chain, it's how it works and how we function and so I accept it.

I would think supplementing would become pretty harrowing...I don't eat a lot of red meat because it certainly isn't my favorite, and too much of it makes me feel pretty blah. I prefer turkey, chicken, and sometimes ham [Pork- the other white meat *lol*]. Though on occasion, I totally want/crave a juicy burger o.o ..

Oh-- on the vegetarian side of things, to vouch for some- there are some people who are vegetarian/vegan NOT by choice. I haven't seen this posted yet, but certain health issues due to liver malfunctions can call for a person to be on a strict diet which often times means no meat/protein consumption. My youngest cousin was diagnosed with a disease called 'ASA' [Argininosuccinic Acidemia-- a Urea Cycle disorder] when the doctors caught it during his newborn blood screenings. It's similar in ways to PKU, more commonly known, and it means his liver is missing most of an essential enzyme needed to break down meat/animal and most other proteins. He'll be a vegetarian probably for his whole life in order to remain at his healthiest. So..sometimes it's not even an active choice, but a necessity.
    Don't hate me because you're beautiful.
    4w5

http://www.mangabullet.com/visitme/ImaginAries.png

MBTI
    ENTP

I want to suggest some additional poll options

1. NF meat eater who guiltily cries himself to sleep at night with visions of adorable cows dancing in his head

2. NT vegetarian, secretly an NF on a mission to prove that vegetarians can be logical too! "Achieves" that by messing with poll results.
    I don't wanna!