• SJ Vegetarian/Vegan

1 0.96%
  • SP Vegetarian/Vegan

3 2.88%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Vegetarian? Why?

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I eat meat because I'm a god-damned animal.
    by @magpie

Senior Member Array burymecloser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I've often thought it'd be a deal breaker for me, for a date to say they were veggie/vegan. I don't know really that I could live with somebody who believes that something as fundamental as the food I choose to eat (not out of lazy habit, but philosophical conviction) is "wrong". How could they possibly reconcile that with their own beliefs, without judging me, implicitly, unless it was some condescending "I forgive you for you know not what you do" type gig?
    I feel the same way, kind of. I have dated, and would again, people who eat meat. Just realize I'm not going to let you kiss me on the mouth until you've brushed your teeth. I couldn't, however, see myself in a long-term relationship with someone who consumed animal products. For the relationship to have any long-term potential, the other party would have to at least be open to the idea of eventually cutting them out.

Quote Originally Posted by proximo
    Incidentally, I read recently that tofu is actually worse for the environment than meat - Google it
    I don't want to comb through search results. Surely you can provide a link?

What I don't get is how some of them totally indoctrinate their kids from day one... If I were a vegan, I'd have said to my kids "You can eat what you like when you're out and about. If you're at a party or barbecue, don't avoid the hotdogs on my account. If you wanna buy a burger with your pocket money, feel free. Just don't expect to get any meat at home."
    Would you have the same attitude about your kid beating up their younger siblings, or torturing your pet dog?

Maybe it depends what age the child in question is -- when they're old enough to think critically and make their own decisions, I think you have to respect those decisions -- but how can it be acceptable to you for your children to make a habit of something you believe is wrong? If you believe hurting people is immoral, wouldn't you teach your children not to do it? If you believe hurting animals is immoral, wouldn't you teach your children that, too?

I'm not saying you interrogate them about their eating habits, but I can't imagine you'd raise them to be omnivorous. If I believe killing animals constitutes murder, I'm going to teach the kids from day one that it's wrong to eat meat. Same goes with other motives for avoiding meat (health, etc.). If I believe my child is more likely to be obese or diabetic or whatever, hell no I'm not going to play around with their health. Same thing as prohibiting sugary cereal, isn't it?

I know some "lifestyle vegans" (as they call themselves), who say their objection to eating eggs is based on the cruel conditions of even free range farms. Yet, when offered an egg from hens keps in a friend's garden, in the most luxurious and caring conditions, they still refused it, and wouldn't let their daughter have one either. This, again, suggests to me that for many of them, it becomes more a matter of habit and sheer stubbornness, than a matter of principle or whatever...
    I get the sense you may be attributing to a very large group of people the characteristics of a relatively small number of people with whom you have interacted. That's not logically sound, nor is it fair. Generalisations and assumptions are seldom productive.

I won't presume to speak for anyone other than myself, but I stopped eating certain foods because I believed the treatment of the animals involved was cruel. One of my favorite things about the changes to my diet is that it's made me so aware of what I'm putting in my body. At this point, I know how to manage my diet responsibly, and for health reasons alone -- which were once merely incidental -- I wouldn't touch most animal products. I've no doubt I'm healthier now because of what I do and don't eat.

At this point, the idea of most of these products grosses me out anyway, and I wouldn't go near them regardless of the source. But I've also heard a lot of protests from people who assure you that their uncle/cousin/neighbor has a farm and is perfectly wonderful to the animals. And I've learned that most people have a different definition of what constitutes humane treatment than I do. I've no way of knowing if this was actually the case, but it seems plausible to me that your acquaintances were trying to decline as politely as possible, perhaps on the grounds that they didn't believe the hens really were kept "in the most luxurious and caring conditions".

Rather than doing a detailed inspection of the facility, and applying case-by-case exceptions, it's much easier to always follow the same rules. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. It's not like I sit at the table wishing I could eat what the person next to me is having, and I think it would be extraordinarily rude of someone who knows about my diet to deliberately offer me a chicken wing or something and assure me that the conditions were humane.

Ultimately, I don't see any reason to make exceptions for myself, but I see several reasons not to.
    i just want to be a sweetheart

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I eat meat because I'm a god-damned animal.
    The cows and pandas resent your implications.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

I'm not a vegetarian.....i've tried a couple of times, but i haven't fully abstained from meat. i just don't like meals with a lot of it. meat is a bit overrated, i think.