• SJ Vegetarian/Vegan

1 0.96%
  • SP Vegetarian/Vegan

3 2.88%
First 210111213 Last

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I really struggle with this sort of stuff. I had vegetarianism forced on me as a child, and began eating meat after careful deliberation when I was 18. I've been called "the worst sort of hypocrite" and even "apostate" by veggies and vegans galore for "turning my back". I've known many a meat-eating parent who has respected and supported a child's expressed wits to be veggie (granted, a few who haven't), but never once the other way round.

I've often thought it'd be a deal breaker for me, for a date to say they were veggie/vegan. I don't know really that I could live with somebody who believes that something as fundamental as the food I choose to eat (not out of lazy habit, but philosophical conviction) is "wrong". How could they possibly reconcile that with their own beliefs, without judging me, implicitly, unless it was some condescending "I forgive you for you know not what you do" type gig?

I'm not being snarky here, honestly, this is something I genuinely struggle with, and I'm interested in your point of view if you've found a way to deal with it.
    It is a very sensitive issue. In any case where a person thinks that a being has rights, it's gonna be a touchy issue. I know a lot of vegans whose parents refused to let them be vegan for a while but finally gave up. The only case of the other I know of is in my own family, where my brother started eating meat for a while after being raised in a vegetarian family, although I am sure there are plenty of cases like yours. Although my parents were fine with it.

I'm guilty of being a militant vegan and I really regret being like that to some awesome people . I'm a lot better these days. I still sometimes point things out to people if they say something that is off or if they seem interested. Mind you, I probably come across as a militant vegan on TC cuz I feel like whenever I post it's always about veganism haha. I used to think I could never date a meat-eater just because it's something I feel so strongly about, and thought it would be hard to share a life with someone who didn't view animal suffering in the same light. Then I met the most amazing person who eats meat and found out that there is in fact something that transcends veganhood, and while I normally connect better with vegans than other people, I've never connected with anyone like I do with him. It definitely would be easier if we were both meat-eaters or both vegan, because I can't stomach the smell or sight of meat due to growing up without it. I know some vegans in relationships with meat-eaters, but most vegans I know would only date vegans or strict vegetarians. Just like a Christian having a partner preference for another Christian.

I apologise though, on behalf of all militant vegans/veges for the suffering that we gave you. Being like that has helped me understand and be much more sympathetic towards more radical groups tho.

I would be okay if my (future) kids started eating meat, but I wouldn't be the one cooking it for them.

Yeah I totally understand that a vegan doesn't want to buy or cook meat, and even wouldn't really want it in their house or car. That's all totally understandable.

What I don't get is how some of them totally indoctrinate their kids from day one... If I were a vegan, I'd have said to my kids "You can eat what you like when you're out and about. If you're at a party or barbecue, don't avoid the hotdogs on my account. If you wanna buy a burger with your pocket money, feel free. Just don't expect to get any meat at home."

I also totally get the "not wanting a partner with incompatible daily habits" thing, which is what your examples boil down to. That's totally understandable. You're not saying you think they're evil, or that you won't be friends with them. You just don't want to live with them and taste the meat every time you kiss them - fair enough!
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

I've been a vegetarian since I was 14-ish? So over a decade. My reasoning is that I just don't really like meat or the concept of it. Could I, gromit, kill an animal for food when I have plenty of other food available to me? No. Would I eat it rather than starve? Probably. Do I think people who eat meat are amoral? No. In most areas of my life I have standards for myself and try not to judge how others make their decisions because I cannot possibly know their context. I actually really admire people who will kill the food they eat (like my grandpa used to), because it shows that they really acknowledge and respect the fact that they are taking a life to sustain their own.

I looooove cheese though, and I like eggs and milk okay. I used to love milk and prefer it over water, but I've been moving to water mostly and the occasional almond milk or soy milk lately. I prefer to get local/humane eggs if possible, and purchase vegetarian (rennet-free) cheese when it's an option.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I do know a guy who's a veggie, and I suspect quite strongly that, although he started off for sincere reasons of principle, it's now mainly a "force of habit" thing, combined with just a sense of pride each time he can rack up another year and be able to say "I've been a veggie for X years now".

I've known him since his teens, when he made the decision, and I'm pretty sure his opinions about animal rights have changed. For example, back then, he wouldn't have come into a house, drunk, and kicked a puppy across the room that came up to greet him (like he did the other day), and I can't see how he reconciles his vegetarianism with the way he kicks people's pets and tells them to fuck off whenever they come near him.

I know some "lifestyle vegans" (as they call themselves), who say their objection to eating eggs is based on the cruel conditions of even free range farms. Yet, when offered an egg from hens keps in a friend's garden, in the most luxurious and caring conditions, they still refused it, and wouldn't let their daughter have one either. This, again, suggests to me that for many of them, it becomes more a matter of habit and sheer stubbornness, than a matter of principle or whatever...
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

militant vegitarians and vegans who lecture me on my meat eating habits often get stuck with me ordering ribs or a bacon cheeseburger vengefully in their presence next time they go to a restraunt with me... I don't lecture them on their food choices, so I don't think it's right for them to lecture me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

NF, meat eater. Vegetarianism and veganism are cardinal sins in the Church of the Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    I know some "lifestyle vegans" (as they call themselves), who say their objection to eating eggs is based on the cruel conditions of even free range farms. Yet, when offered an egg from hens keps in a friend's garden, in the most luxurious and caring conditions, they still refused it, and wouldn't let their daughter have one either. This, again, suggests to me that for many of them, it becomes more a matter of habit and sheer stubbornness, than a matter of principle or whatever...
    How long have they been vegan for tho? Because they might not like the taste anymore. On the times i've accidentally eaten eggs in something I thought the food tasted awful, and felt sick afterwards. I'm not used to it anymore and my body can't handle it.

I consider anyone who abstains from animal products but keeps hens in their backyards and eats their eggs still vegan. Same with honey and same with the freegans who eat dumpstered animal products but won't personally buy animal products themselves.

MBTI
    INFP
    Socionics
    IEI

I couldn't be a true vegan as I keep quite a few animals that require meat in their diets and I refuse to try feed them vegan diets. I selected NF Vegetarian but have no problem handling, cooking and offering ethically farmed/sourced animal products. I am a horrible, horrible person when people go on about not eating meat because of the ethical aspect and then they continue to eat fish/dairy products without considering where they come from/how they support the industries they don't want to support. It's one of the few issues i'll actually make a fuss about
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion.
    That is just being "in love" which any of us can convince ourselves we are.
    Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I eat meat because I'm a god-damned animal.