User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I need to get gifts for 2 x 37 year old male INTPs. One's my partner, the other is a friend. D.i.f.f.i.c.u.l.t.

They're both computer geeks but their geekitude is based on obscure stuff that most other computer geeks don't seem to have heard of.

I might get a DVD of Flight of the Conchords or Black Books for the INTP friend. No idea what to get my partner yet.

*waits hopefully for other suggestions for geeky older male INTPs*
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, this is the kind of stuff that ends up in random boxes around my apartment, out of sight. I continually tell my extended family to please stop giving me gifts. Actually, it's only my grandmother and a couple of aunts, but still.

What's worse is if they make you something, like a big, fluffy knitted blanket that's too tacky to be displayed and too badly knitted to be useful .
    Lol, I have no shame as long as it makes a family member/friend happy. It can be the biggest ugliest gayest sweater on earth for example, and I will parade it around town for all to see. I will lie through my teeth about how awsome it is and expect me to visit you wearing it. I abuse this so much that they would ask me to stop using it so much. Only issue is I forget about it by the next day or two.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

ENFP or ENTP, I am still undecided, but I love anything that shows you know something about me, that most others don't.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    x 10^1 000 000

My ESFP aunt keeps buying me those motivational quotes etched into an artsy inch-thick piece of slab to hang on my wall or figurines that need dusting. I've told her for years to stop buying me presents because I'm too old to get a gift from an aunt, but she says she loves to do it. And it would break her heart to find out I actually loathe that I have to figure out what to do with these things I'm both embarrassed and weighed on in terms of useless to own.
    Two ideas:

Freecycle

Nursing homes
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    I need to get gifts for 2 x 37 year old male INTPs. One's my partner, the other is a friend. D.i.f.f.i.c.u.l.t.

They're both computer geeks but their geekitude is based on obscure stuff that most other computer geeks don't seem to have heard of.

I might get a DVD of Flight of the Conchords or Black Books for the INTP friend. No idea what to get my partner yet.

Gift certificate to a computer store (esp. friend). Then bake/buy his favorite cookies to go with the g.c.

Ask what they would like. No shame in doing this if it's obscure stuff.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    yupp

I hate being asked what I want cuz I can never think of it when asked so I just did an amazon wishlist so I can just tell people to look at that. I mean they aren't tied to what's on the list but if they really are stumped their's a bout 20 items I'll probably get about 5 of the things on their so It's big enough that I'll be suprised. I also hate asking other's what they want, so through out the year I listen for clues in conversations of things they might be interested put that in the back of my mind and then go to store and hopefully find something for them. Almost everyone I get gifts for say my gifts are one of their favorites or amazed at how cool looking it is. The trick is to know what they like and then buy with that in mind but would you buy this gift for yourself, and are you slightly jealous that they're receiving that gift and not you? It works for me, so know what the other person likes but also would you be happy receiving it from someone else or them. (of course this is harder when the person's tastes are the exact opposite of yours or their interests are in something you know nothing about)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

My dad is an INTJ. For his birthday, I spent a couple of hours on Amazon.com pretending I had the same taste in books that he does. (He likes fantasy with tough guy protagonists or Tom Clancy-type novels.) He actually enjoyed the ones I bought him, which is an improvement over the time I was nine and got him a romance novel just because the author had the same first name as my mom. This year, I wanted to get him a wireless headset for computer gaming. I've only seen two, and they look a little cheap. :sad:

My mom (ESFJ) is happy with anything we give her, but my sister (ESFP) is harder now that she's older. She wants me to tell her what I'm getting her so she can decide if she wants it or not. It's hard for me to tell if she really enjoys a gift or not.

I ask for gift cards to Borders or Amazon because I can just buy the books and CDs I've had in my wish list. I hate getting bath products and little figurines/display pieces. I get those a lot.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I am an INFJ and my tastes for gifts are all over the place.
    I have things that I like collecting- like Hello Kitty Crappola for example so that is always a safe bet. But then I also have out of nowhere who would have thought present wishes like The Art of War book on CD and Magic The Gathering cards.

I love things that are novelties too. Two of my favorite gifts I have ever gotten was a tiny tiny like 2 and a half inch bottle of Tabasco sauce and a Yiddish Dictionary,lol.

I love both cutesy and geeky,lol.

I prefer to exchange wish lists with people first and that way you know you will get something they will definately want and vice versa and it is still a surprise because you don't know which thing you are getting. If a person wants to give something that I would never see coming I prefer them to do so either if they know me really well, or if it is a bonus gift and vice versa from me to them- the idea that you know one gift will be a sure pleasing thing and you still get to give an adventurous sure surprise gift.

My mom is an ISFP and she loves mushy cards and pictures to hang up.

My hubby, ENTP, most often has movies, music cd's and video games on his christmas lists.
    I love buying him gifts because I love his taste in things- I end up always loving the stuff he asks for too,lol. He has gotten me into They Might Be Giants and Final Fantasy games for example. I always know that his gifts will be awesome!
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post

Well as far as romanticism and INTP's go, my INTP, is quite sentimental with me in a romantic relationship despite himself. The best gifts he's ever gotten from me were things I'd picked up about him that he felt he'd lost... for instance, he had these all black all stars as a teenager and he loved them, they identified him, he didn't have any his originals anymore.

the greatest thing about INTP's is that they are usually so lazy that they never get things like this again for themselves in a reasonable amount of time. INTP's are so stoic with everyone else, but deep down they are hopeless romantics. (for instance, my husband loves pride and prejudice as much as I do, mainly because we identify so much with both characters)

Have a romantic get away, to somewhere they'd enjoy, like take a trip down to vegas, they have great deals going in the winter at all those really really nice hotels. And the rest of it is really cheap if you don't gamble, everything is open all night... so it could be like a get to your hotel, have sex, go around, eat, go back to room and well, have sex, then go walk around, play some slot,s get gillato, go back to your room for sex, go on a gondola ride in the venitian...etc
    A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

For myself, I prefer video games or cycling equipment/gears/wheels etc
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp