User Tag List

123 Last

Dali

Default Have you successfully gotten rid of a lisp?

I've had one my whole life which my family attributes to an unfortunate incident that occurred when I was 2 involving a hot iron, an inattentive uncle and my tongue. I got flak from all through primary schooling (6 - 14yrs) (and a bit in high school) where most classmates poked fun at me even making up songs about my lisp. I think, even now, it's part of the reason of my intense quietness as I do believe people unfavourably judge me believing me to be mentally slow when I speak.

I'm curious as to whether anyone with a lisp has managed to get rid of or it and what steps they took to do that? Or do you know anyone that's successfully done this?

p.s. And whoever in Hollywood decides that lisp = gay? Every movie with a flamboyant character has them speaking with a lisp. That has repercussions on my dating life, you know.

MBTI
    INTP

I've never had one, but I do think it's something that can be overcome--I think you'd have to work with a speech therapist or a vocal coach like actors use for learning accents. PRobably a speech therapist would be better, though. I think it's probably just a matter of retraining the way your form your words, tongue placement, etc.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I've never had one, but I do think it's something that can be overcome--I think you'd have to work with a speech therapist or a vocal coach like actors use for learning accents. PRobably a speech therapist would be better, though. I think it's probably just a matter of retraining the way your form your words, tongue placement, etc.
    Yes--it would also involve retraining your nervous system to some extent, too.

I always tell people that because I knew piano, it took me about 3 minutes to learn basic chording in guitar, but about 3 months to get my nervous system to adapt and be able to control my fingers so they could play adequately.

I'd imagine the same would go for you, Operalover, except that you have always been talking so you can fall into bad habits. Disciplined training + months and months of repetition.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that. Perhaps if there were some DIY 'fixes' or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Yes--it would also involve retraining your nervous system to some extent, too... Disciplined training + months and months of repetition.
    So I basically have to retrain my neuromuscular memory? Months you say? I need to borrow someone's J.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to that. Perhaps if there were some DIY 'fixes' or something of the sort.

So I basically have to retrain my neuromuscular memory? Months you say? I need to borrow someone's J.
    This is essentially waht the speech therapist will help you do, but they'll be qualified to help you do it very effectively with proper technique.

And I'm pretty sure. But please take this with a grain of salt, because you're talking to a 22-year-old hwo lives with her parents and is still in undergrad.

(Oou! Did I tell people I have a 3 year Psych degree that I didn't know about! I just spent so much time in class I completed a degree!)
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Dali

This is essentially waht the speech therapist will help you do, but they'll be qualified to help you do it very effectively with proper technique.

And I'm pretty sure. But please take this with a grain of salt, because you're talking to a 22-year-old hwo lives with her parents and is still in undergrad
    I was hoping for DIY 'fixes' as I'm not sure how much speech therapists charge but I'm pretty sure it's out of the purchasing power of this certain 22yr old undergrad.

(Oou! Did I tell people I have a 3 year Psych degree that I didn't know about! I just spent so much time in class I completed a degree!)
    Congrats! I'll be finishing my degree in 2 weeks. Feels like a weight lifting off my shoulders.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    Congrats! I'll be finishing my degree in 2 weeks. Feels like a weight lifting off my shoulders.
    That's great. I'm still hangin' around doing a 4 year in Rhetoric (to be completed in April '10).

What's your degree?
    C.S. Lewis

Dali

That's great. I'm still hangin' around doing a 4 year in Rhetoric (to be completed in April '10).

What's your degree?
    That sounds like a very interesting course. I had a friend studying a similar degree and, like him, I'm pretty sure you're tired of questions along the line of "what exactly can you do with that degree?"

I'm studying Hotel Management and the first thing most people ask me is what hotel do I plan to manage/have managed.

MBTI
    INTP

Actually, Mo, I think being a student might be a good thing--you might find out if your university has a speech therapy department, and if there's any sort of program where they need the hours of "practicing" on volunteer subjects. It wouldn't hurt to ask if there's anything like that in place.

I think you will need to talk to an actual human being, though--the DIY thing will probably not work for something like this. You need someone to show you what you're doing wrong, and to guide you as you try to correct it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

One of my neices had a terrible lithp when she was little. She simply didn't seem able to hear or appreciate the difference between certain letters, particularly "f" and soft "th", sometimes "s" too -and would tend to use them more or less indiscriminately, and usually incorrectly. She was getting quite behind with her reading at the age of 7 and was receiving a lot of special help at school. This was a lot less helpful than the salary of the person who provided said assistance would lead one to hope; she ended up making no progress over a period of six months or so and was losing confidence and interest rapidly. The ability to distinguish said phonemes and read them aloud was one of the main criteria on which her progress in reading was being tested at that stage, unfortunately, and whatever her teacher was doing with her was clearly having not the slightest effect.

I was more or less her main caregiver at the time, so I had plenty of opportunity to tackle the lisp issue in a contstructive way as it was clearly just holding her back.

I began by drawing a picture of a comical fish, and asked her to read out what I had written underneath:

"The fat fish was thick, with thin fins." *=Very evil uncle*

It took her literally weeks of trying pretty much every day before she managed to pronounce the whole sentence correctly for the first time. She was so proud of herself! I tried to avoid negative comments and make it into something that was simultaneously an amusing game and a challenge for her to set herself, otherwise I doubt her enthusiasm would have continued for so long. I also gave her the opportunity to relax and laugh at me by making sure than when I pronounced it correctly I did so with comically exaggerated emphasis (this also helped her to focus more on HEARING the difference without pushing it on her).

It was months more before she could say the silly phrase correctly every time. Once she actually could she liked to wind me up by coming out with it at random inappropriate moments, which I suppose served me right for inflicting it on her in the first place. But I do believe it worked if anything did. Her lisp was almost completely gone within a year and has never returned that I've noticed. She's now in her teens and so far from needing special help is one of those annoying perfect "A-Grade" students who is always right about everything... I'm tempted occasionally to ask if she remembers, but I just don't know if I could take hearing it again!

I hope something in my story helped, anyway....