User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, I would have thought that the question, "What is the good life?", is the question asked in the liberal arts.

In other words, "What should we desire?".

It seems like a good place to start.

But perhaps you should tell me why you are laughing out loud - yes?
    I don't know how to explain how it was funny. It was just funny.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

If I become understood, my being liked and loved will follow, logically, so I must choose "Understood."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Someone once, very sincerely, said that he understood me, and it was so wonderful a moment I nearly fainted and fell off my chair. (It was platonic and he wasn't trying to get me to shag him)
    Up till now, his words have had more impact on me than "I love you" or "I like you"

"I love you" - meh - mothers can love without liking or understanding, and what's the use in that? (For me at least)

"I like you" - it's not too bad I suppose, I'm still deciding if it's better than 'understand', but I doubt it.

I think if you're understood by someone, you'll most likely be liked anyway. In my humble opinion.

So which one of the three do you/would you prefer to hear. You can pick one or you can arrange them in order of importance.
    (And I suppose someone will say that they'll want to hear different things depending on whether it's a platonic or romantic relationship - go ahead.)
    I can't say I'd want to hear any of those things. Words are insipid things. If someone feels the need to tell me they understand me, they almost certainly don't. In fact, there are few things more annoying than being told you are understood by someone who doesn't - at all.

I don't think it is possible to completely understand another human being. I have a hard enough time understanding myself.

Like/love - yeah, they're the easy ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I don't think it is possible to completely understand another human being. I have a hard enough time understanding myself.
    It's easier for me to understand other people than myself, because I can be detached, objective. If I put myself into the situation, whether we're talking about me, or someone I'm interacting with, some of that is lost.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    It's easier for me to understand other people than myself, because I can be detached, objective. If I put myself into the situation, whether we're talking about me, or someone I'm interacting with, some of that is lost.
    For this reason it is much easier for me to understand others, but a little unsettling when someone actually puts in the effort to understand me. It really doesn't happen often, most people are content with superficially knowledge.

There are lots of layers to me and I wear a mask in social situations often so I make it hard to understand me. I don't want everyone to understand me, only those I'm close to, so for me it is a progression, like then love then understanding.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I'll take understood.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    For this reason it is much easier for me to understand others, but a little unsettling when someone actually puts in the effort to understand me. It really doesn't happen often, most people are content with superficially knowledge.

There are lots of layers to me and I wear a mask in social situations often so I make it hard to understand me. I don't want everyone to understand me, only those I'm close to, so for me it is a progression, like then love then understanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    [YOUTUBE="kGauF7ihJFI"]Let's start a band![/YOUTUBE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I would choose love.

Understanding does not automatically = acceptance, and I'm not sure why so many people think this is the case.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    Understanding does not automatically = acceptance, and I'm not sure why so many people think this is the case.
    In my case, it pretty much does. In order to "understand" me, it takes spending a lot of time with me, and also me being comfortable enough with someone to open up a bit. By that point, it can be pretty sure that they accept me anyway.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I would choose love.

Because deep down we all think we are the shit and that it is others who just don't get it.