First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That is a misleading statistic. The UN's "one in three" initiative is about worldwide abuse against women. So, two things: it's worldwide, and it's all abuse, not just rape. So it's not like if you have three female friends in a developed nation, one of them is likely to have been raped. What it does mean is that at least one third of the world's female population has been abused in some way, be it sexual coercion, beating, rape, or otherwise. It's still awful and it needs to be changed.
    Oh ok, well I know that the statistic specifically applied to rape here in my hometown. I've heard to same statistic used internationally, but didn't realize they meant all abuse by this.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    That is a misleading statistic. The UN's "one in three" initiative is about worldwide abuse against women. So, two things: it's worldwide, and it's all abuse, not just rape. So it's not like if you have three female friends in a developed nation, one of them is likely to have been raped. What it does mean is that at least one third of the world's female population has been abused in some way, be it sexual coercion, beating, rape, or otherwise. It's still awful and it needs to be changed.
    Hear, hear.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Oh ok, well I know that the statistic specifically applied to rape here in my hometown. I've heard to same statistic used internationally, but didn't realize they meant all abuse by this.
    The statistic is widely misused, so I'm not surprised you've heard it applied to your hometown. But I have a hard time believing that 1 in 3 women report having been raped in Antwerp, Belgium. If you really think about that, it rivals what you would expect from a war zone in a developing nation. Make no mistake, I don't mean to minimize the suffering experienced by anyone or any demographic, but I do want to use information accurately.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Hey, I have no problem to be corrected, I know facts aren't my strong suit
    I also know several rapevictims myself and whether this is only 10 percent or 30 percent of all women..it doesn't change the horrendousness of those facts
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I've heard the 1/3 figure in relation to American women reporting sexual assault in the military. I think my old US Politics teacher was who told me this.

Seems like a very high ratio.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hey, I have no problem to be corrected, I know facts aren't my strong suit
    I also know several rapevictims myself and whether this is only 10 percent or 30 percent of all women..it doesn't change the horrendousness of those facts
    Very true.

I was just sort of appalled when I looked at your original post and you said, "1 out of 3 women are raped" as pretty much your entire statement. That's really a bad, sloppy twisting of fact and it minimizes anything you're trying to promote; people will feel like they can't trust you when you generalize into something so horribly erroneous.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Very true.

I was just sort of appalled when I looked at your original post and you said, "1 out of 3 women are raped" as pretty much your entire statement. That's really a bad, sloppy twisting of fact and it minimizes anything you're trying to promote; people will feel like they can't trust you when you generalize into something so horribly erroneous.
    Well, 1 in 3 women aren't raped in this country... but I bet 1 in 20 are. I've known two... no, three of them myself. One was date-raped.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

The only mistake I made was not double checking it, as this is how it is portrayed in the news here Jennifer, and I'm sorry if that somehow makes you feel like you cannot trust me. I made it clear that that's what I had heared.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

Oberon

The only mistake I made was not double checking it, as this is how it is portrayed in the news here Jennifer, and I'm sorry if that somehow makes you feel like you cannot trust me. I made it clear that that's what I had heared.
    Jen's on your side. She's just trying to give helpful advice so you don't accidentally undermine your common cause in the future.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I see your type is an INTJ. I read over the thread again and it was interesting to me that the female posters who expressed joy at being a woman talked about feeling free to express feelings or act silly without disappointing anyone. It might be worth starting another thread, but there is a noticeable overlap between men = T-ness and women = F-ness in society. Those women who are seeking to fit in because of their minds and ability to analyze and solve problem are expressing some frustration. The second area of frustration is related to expectations of outward appearance. I think that interplay of women being expected to be emotional and not objective and analytical is at the core of a number of these posts here.
    Offering a cross-link to a different forum only because it's relevant, it's a thread about Female INTPs discussing these sorts of issues.

I do find it liberating to be able to express feelings openly, but I still feel a need to be perceived as smart since that's part of me, and when I approach things intellectually, I feel like it reduces interest from some other people who are looking for less heady, less intellectual women. Men seem to respond more easily to less intimidating or more "warm" women, even if they also claim not to like "drama."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft