First 23456 Last

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm not thrown off too much when other people change their avatars. It requires a moment for me to stop and think, and then I just keep chugging along.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Yes - that's what I was hoping to find.

If we only present a protected version of our "real" selves, what is the purpose of applying any judgment at all?

As we see only fragments, is it ever possible to connect to the "real person" behind the avatar?
    1. We can make judgments based on the "protected" version of the real self. The purpose is to try to understand another person, even if only their 2-dimensional representation.

2. We can connect to some aspect of the real person behind the avatar. And this connection can lead to fuller connection. I am confident I would like many of the members here in a real world context.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    As we see only fragments, is it ever possible to connect to the "real person" behind the avatar?
    Perhaps it's nice to associate the "fragment" an individual displays with a visual identifier... their avatar.

We all hold parts of ourselves back in real life, for example. But that doesn't stop us from associating people with their faces.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I like this.

In summary, avatars then as way to bridge disparities. As a means to embody cooperation. To find progress. Avatars as the engine that helps solidify purpose behind interaction.

Nicely said, Synarch.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    Perhaps it's nice to associate the "fragment" an individual displays with a visual identifier... their avatar.

We all hold parts of ourselves back in real life, for example. But that doesn't stop us from associating people with their faces.
    You are correct. Most of what people view as meaningful data is really a cultivation of stimuli gleaned from subconscious recognition of nonverbal behavior.

MBTI
    ENTP

You said it.

I do like this discussion. Now move this mother out of the damn Fluff Zone.

MBTI
    ENTP

I wonder if changing avatars affects the more social types more so than the more asocial types?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I wonder if changing avatars affects the more social types more so than the more asocial types?
    I would assume that people who are more expressive of their values and ideals would chose to represent that in their avatars. Maybe one corollary that could depict that would be sociability.

It seems like the introverted intuitives and feelers generally display the most interesting and memorable avatars, and ones that also have a close connection with their personalities.

In terms of association from an outside perspective I think that might be a harder thing to draw conclusions from. How much do you think the actual content of posts bleeds into the perception of avatars, It would seem like that combination would have an even larger affect on social v asocial types.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I find myself unexpectedly discombobulated by members changing their avatars, especially if they do so frequently. After a while I come to associate an avatar with its user and when they change, it just throws me off. Does this annoy you? Do you associate the avatar with the user?
    I don't give a damn about the avatar, but I like when signatures keep their signature picture, as long as it's good. I'm throwing stones in an extremely small greenhouse right now, because I change both my avatar and sigpic quite often... But I think i'll keep my current ones for a few months at least. I'm happy now.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTP

For anyone who has already commenced this thread, let me clear the air here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post398595

MBTI
    ENTP

In a related thread there was some mention of how different types manifest different avatars. I have noticed INFP's have very florid, pre-Raphaelite avatars, for example.