User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

I change my avatar almost weekly and I'll stick with a theme for about a month.

I like seeing different avatars, I usually remember a member by their style anyways.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Good question. I do identify the user with aspects of their name or avatar. For example, there is some commonality between your current and previous avatars: organic materials, rather baroque presentation, antiquarian illustrations of anthropomorphic vegetable figures. I do find myself wondering if this corresponds with some aspect of your character or personality. I do believe your avatar selection says something about you, but this would depend on any individual's interpretation.
    Your assertion is well-taken.

I agree that avatars serve to represent elements of personality the user wishes to implicitly convey. Avatars (along with pseudonym) form a collective vision of an idealized sensibility people wish to give off...

To this end, I wonder how honestly we offer ourselves to this community; how clearly our identity is served by avatars/monikers.

Conversely, what is to be said by people who offer simple avatars/nicknames? Or people who haven't avatars at all?

We hide so well. We're less than we suppose, aren't we?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I change my avatar almost weekly and I'll stick with a theme for about a month.

I like seeing different avatars, I usually remember a member by their style anyways.
    See, until I really thought about your name I forgot who you were because your avatar is so different. I must be way more visual than everyone else.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    To this end, I wonder how honestly we offer ourselves to this community; how clearly our identity is served by avatars/monikers.

Conversely, what is to be said by people who offer simple avatars/nicknames? Or people who haven't avatars at all?

We hide so well. We're less than we suppose, aren't we?
    My avatar is a commentary on these hidden selves. I chose this avatar to represent my hidden self, my reality. You will only know me through my words.

MBTI
    INTP

Avatars is how I tell whose posts to read... having an unfamiliar avatar means I am about twice as likely to ignore your post.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    My avatar is a commentary on these hidden selves. I chose this avatar to represent my hidden self, my reality. You will only know me through my words.
    What does this mean to the rest of your ostensible identity? We see only the tips of otherwise-submerged personalities....

Your words...what do they mean? What does it mean to "know you", Synarch?

It throws me a bit too. Funny how you build your impression of someone from their avatar.
    I like to change mine now and again. In fact I feel the urge building now.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    What does this mean to the rest of your ostensible identity? We see only the tips of otherwise-submerged personalities....

Your words...what do they mean? What does it mean to "know you", Synarch?
    1. It does not mean anything about the rest of my identity. It means you can only see what I present. It does mean you only see one aspect of the larger complexity. No one here is able to present themselves in their real aspect. We are strangers even to ourselves.

2. My words are the only data you have to go on. Judge them on their own merits and no further or you risk error.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Yes - that's what I was hoping to find.

If we only present a protected version of our "real" selves, what is the purpose of applying any judgment at all?

As we see only fragments, is it ever possible to connect to the "real person" behind the avatar?

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

This is a nice Thread.
    And actually I DO find it annoying when People change their Avas all the Time. It's okay to change it sometimes, but I have seen People change it like 5 Times a Day.
    It's like "Make up your Mind already!" X__x
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O