User Tag List

12 Last

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default Constructive rants on products

Following are a couple rants about consumer products. But this isn't just empty griping. No, this griping is bursting at the seams with constructive feedback that, if heeded, will give those manufacturers/retailers a decided edge over their competition when it comes to selling stuff to me. And since it's all about me, the smart ones will pay attention.

First up, we have cotton. I like cotton. Wearing cotton says, I don't care what you have to look at, 'cause I'm comfortable, dammit. And I like saying that. Sometimes I say it out loud. Then, I'm not only comfortable, but I also get plenty of personal space.

As much as I like cotton, it doesn't like me. I'm talking about variable shrinkage here. You know that first time you pull it out of the drier, it'll have shrunk. How much, is anyone's guess. Just tonight I bought two pairs of pants. I got them too loose and too long, as preemptive shrinkage compensation. Will it be too much? Not enough? Who knows? They're manifesting their destiny in the drier as I type.

Why don't they just preshrink everything, charge a couple bucks more, and slap a big "preshrunk" label on it? It can't cost that much to wet stuff down then heat dry it. To me, $30 for something I know I can wear more than once is a better investment than $25 for something that's a gamble. As an aside, I was looking at the care label on one of these. Who actually irons jeans? Isn't the whole point of jeans to not be in that uncomfortable formal dress clothes zone?

Next up, we've got ketchup packaging. Specifically, the foil packets. When I run through the drive through at Mickey D's/Burger King/Tasty In 'n' Out/Big Al's House-O-Ground Beef, and order fries, they give me ketchup in those flat little packets. What am I supposed to do with this? Squirt it on the dashboard, and dip my fries there?

If one of these places had ketchup in the same little plastic tubs with the peel-off lids that they put pancake syrup in, it could very well be the deciding factor in which place I go. Ironically, I don't need a free-standing container for syrup, which I'm just going to dump on pancakes. A flat foil packet would be fine.

Finally, pancake/waffle mix. Anyone who knows me well knows my special relationship to waffles (and yes, I'm getting help). The mix requires you to measure it. The box it comes in isn't quite big enough to comfortably fit a measuring cup down into, to scoop. But pancake mix doesn't pour. It's tenacious in its determination to stay in the box, and when it does relent, it all comes out.

Again, put it in a different container. One that accommodates a cup measure. I often end up transferring it to a different container myself. If the manufacturer did this for me, it could be the deciding factor in which brand I buy.

Okay. I'm done now.

Anyone else with any constructive rants?
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INTP

It might interest you to know that the Texas chain What-A-Burger has those little ketchup packages like the syrup ones. And it's also delicious ketchup. It's worth moving to Texas for.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Why do they make "women's specific" products when the only physical difference is feminized graphics? For instance: When you buy cross-country skis, it's irrelevant whether you choose the women's or the men's version (the boots and bindings matter, but not the skis). On skis, physics is physics.
    It makes genuine "women's specific" products (such as a road bike, which accounts for the different body proportions between genders in frame geometry) look equally as stupid, and then I have to spend time explaining that a women's bike is not simply a paint job difference.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Why don't they just preshrink everything, charge a couple bucks more, and slap a big "preshrunk" label on it? It can't cost that much to wet stuff down then heat dry it. To me, $30 for something I know I can wear more than once is a better investment than $25 for something that's a gamble. As an aside, I was looking at the care label on one of these. Who actually irons jeans? Isn't the whole point of jeans to not be in that uncomfortable formal dress clothes zone?
    They already do! Cotton clothes are frequently advertised as "preshrunk". It's not as popular as you think it would be though, because these clothes still shrink. Every time.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

LOL! You and your "preemptive shrinkage compensation".

Where does one post the deconstructive rants?

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Why do they make "women's specific" products when the only physical difference is feminized graphics? For instance: When you buy cross-country skis, it's irrelevant whether you choose the women's or the men's version (the boots and bindings matter, but not the skis). On skis, physics is physics.
    It makes genuine "women's specific" products (such as a road bike, which accounts for the different body proportions between genders in frame geometry) look equally as stupid, and then I have to spend time explaining that a women's bike is not simply a paint job difference.
    I always buy men's bikes - I just assume they are better.
    You must enlighten me sometime.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Why must some shops wrap their comics in that dratted plastic wrap? I understand it's to keep younger children from looking at "graphic" things, but why not just put them higher on the shelf where they can't reach? Why not have parents address what was seen in the comic when their kid inevitably ran off to explore? It just irritates me because when I want to go buy a book and I haven't researched the book beforehand, I like to look through it and read a page or two here and there to get an idea of how the book sounds. Generally, if I'm still standing there five minutes later, actively reading the story, it's good enough to buy. With those wrapped up comics I can't do that. I can't go flip through it before I buy it to see if it looks or reads horribly. It's just ridiculous to me to require one to buy a book just to see what's in it.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    STUF

Finally, pancake/waffle mix. Anyone who knows me well knows my special relationship to waffles (and yes, I'm getting help). The mix requires you to measure it. The box it comes in isn't quite big enough to comfortably fit a measuring cup down into, to scoop. But pancake mix doesn't pour. It's tenacious in its determination to stay in the box, and when it does relent, it all comes out.
    Organic Batter Blaster
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    It's like Squeezy Cheez, but for pancakes!

MBTI
    INTJ

Rant on the toaster from Kate and Leopold

"Well, insertion of bread into that so-called toaster produces no toast at all,
    merely warm bread!
    Inserting the bread twice produces charcoal.
    So, clearly, to make proper toast it requires one and a half insertions,
    which is something for which the apparatus doesn't begin to allow!

One assumes that when the General of Electric built it, he might have tried using it!
    One assumes the General might take pride in his creations instead of just foisting them on an unsuspecting public!"

Now I have to go watch the movie again!

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Just tonight I bought two pairs of pants. I got them too loose and too long, as preemptive shrinkage compensation. Will it be too much? Not enough? Who knows? They're manifesting their destiny in the drier as I type.
    Score! One pair, at least, are a perfect fit, post-shrinkage. And I have high hopes for the other pair. It would appear that 34 x 32, then shrunk, is my thing. I think they're something like 32 x 30 at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It might interest you to know that the Texas chain What-A-Burger has those little ketchup packages like the syrup ones.
    Seriously? This makes me happy, just knowing such a thing is out there. In addition to the name What-A-Burger making me giggle for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.
    And it's also delicious ketchup. It's worth moving to Texas for.
    Okay, now, that might be overstating it just a tiny bit, don'tcha think?

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    The only difference I was aware of between men's and women's bikes is that men's bikes are designed to irreversibly alter the men riding them, should they become dismounted from the seat in a sudden and unfortunate way, while women's bikes don't carry this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    They already do! Cotton clothes are frequently advertised as "preshrunk". It's not as popular as you think it would be though, because these clothes still shrink. Every time.
    I bought a preshrunk shirt once, and it actually didn't shrink. I've just not encountered any others. My rant is, why don't they all do this? But it sounds like they don't do it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Where does one post the deconstructive rants?
    *sigh* You already know there's a thread for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    This intrigues and frightens me. I might actually order it, if it didn't say "organic". There's gotta be tofu, or hemp, or something in there.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.