First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

"Intelligible" is different from "up to my stylistic standards."

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I understand them just fine enough...

Then again, Nocapszy is almost exactly what I was like at his age
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastMohican View Post
    "Intelligible" is different from "up to my stylistic standards."
    Intelligible means possible to understand.

Some of his statements are impossible to understand without obvious modifications of our techniques of communication. Therefore some of his statements are unintelligible.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    And Poriferan, this is not a Nocapszy bash thread.

The question is, are my posts -- any of them -- intelligible.
    If you can't see the distinction then you ought not vote.
    I'm entirely aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    To put a lot of this in a more compact form, I'd say that Nocapszy:

Seldom ever defines his terms.
    Does not cite any authoratitive source of information or provide any evidence of his own authority.
    Does not respect the propper place of the burden of proof.
    Will not consistently address claims, questions, or responses.
    Tends to put implicit premises in the mouth of his opponent.
    And Has never in any instance I've seen, stated his purpose.
    That was essentially a detailed way of saying that yes, your posts are unitelligible. However, I went on to make this specification.

[As a direct response to the thread title, I will say that Nocapszy's posts are intelligible as long as they are not part of an argument.
    As such, it so happen that I have not voted in this poll, because the generality of the poll answers is not accurate.

I said something about defining terms, so I should say more about how I'm applying "unintelligible" in this case (regardless of what BlueWing means by it).

Official definition:
    adjective 1. capable of being understood; comprehensible; clear: an intelligible response.

Synonyms 1. distinct, lucid, coherent.

I can understand the words, and I can even understand the sentences, but the whole paragraphs, and the collection of paragraphs, fail to make an intelligible argument. Since whole posts, especially when debating, are usually one or more paragraphs that are also a part of a multi-post argument, I feel that I can say Nocapszy's posts are unintelligible, or incoherent, etc...

As I said, this does not seem to be so much of a problem when Nocapszy is not arguing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm considering making a poll on whether the MBTIc public thinks he has a crush on me.

You mean you're NOT sleeping together?

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    I think Nocapszy purposely tries to elicit certain reactions out of people....
    Oh, YOU two are sleeping together. Got it!

I think the whole point with Nocaps is that he doesn't feel compelled to explain himself. He also purposefully structures his posts in a way that befuddles those who try to apply particular methodical standards of reasoning.

IOW, he's just screwing with your head with his presentation, although he's got his reasons internally.

Of course, personally, I consider Nocaps a genius. The proof is obvious and right here on this very forum:

I sincerely suggest that everyone else listen to these five this woman more than they already do.
    Jennifer
    Victor
    BlueWing
    wildcat
    Night -- go back and read his posts
    <<Jennifer's note: Edited for clarity>>

Of those, I recommend both Jennifer and BlueWing listen to themselves herself more often too. <<Jennifer's note: Edited for typos>>
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It has never occurred to me to consider them anything but intelligible. This doesn't necessarily mean I'm understanding the message he intends to convey, I guess. But I'm understanding something.
    Interesting. I see what you're saying, but from the scholarly stand point (and I know that's not the end all, be all) a person's argument should not be a verbal Rorschach test. You shouldn't just happen to pick out various things of interest to you, with no idea what's actually supposed to be said. That might have some value, but it is not what one calls an intelligible argument.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Interesting. I see what you're saying, but from the scholarly stand point (and I know that's not the end all, be all) a person's argument should not be a verbal Rorschach test. You shouldn't just happen to pick out various things of interest to you, with no idea what's actually supposed to be said. That might have some value, but it is not what one calls an intelligible argument.
    That is not what I mean. I think I understand him, but there's always the chance that I don't. I don't have a problem following his arguments, unless I do and don't realize it. I get him, unless I don't. That's true of everyone, whether they admit it or not.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

And yet, Poriferan, you failed to address the question.
    I ought to turn a complaint to the mods, who, have represented themselves in my favor here as retaliation.

Ivy, what responses you've made in the past indicate that you did in fact understand what I meant. Not that it really matters -- as long as you walked away with something then surely I'm a good force, am I right?
    Granted, that's not the subject at hand, and I'm willing to give the forum some more time to agree with BlueWing.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Also, out of good sportsmanship and as failsafe against arguments like "people just didn't want to hurt your feelings," I will concede to BWs assertion if I don't get at least 66% in my favor.

That is not to say I have any intention of changing, I'll just let him be the winner.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Ivy, what responses you've made in the past indicate that you did in fact understand what I meant. Not that it really matters -- as long as you walked away with something then surely I'm a good force, am I right?
    Granted, that's not the subject at hand, and I'm willing to give the forum some more time to agree with BlueWing.
    Probably in a meta sense, sure, insofar as this is just a forum and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day, but I do like to know that I am picking up what a person is laying down, rather than just interpreting it in a way that pleases me and going with that.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii