29 54.72%
  • No

24 45.28%
First 101819202122 Last

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Here you support my claim that the reason why we lack knowledge of the universe is other than the lack of clear communication between the scientists.
    Yes. True. They're clearly communicating the wrong answer.

Hahahahaha.

Fine buddy.
    You can have this one.

After some clear thinking on the matter, I realized that it doesn't matter whether one explains himself in a believable and understandable way.

It doesn't matter because you can still be way fucking wrong.

I'd rather confuse every every idiot reader than on the planet than have the wrong answer and give to to them via the malediction that is clear concise writing.

If I can offer an answer that I'm sure is correct and I can deliver it clearly, then how wonderful for them. They have increased knowledge. All writing well has done for me is to gain their respect.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    ^ He means that arrogance has nothing to do with the message, and it only complicates matters if you let it.
    Don't worry dis. BW probably knew that.
    He just gets a big kick out of correcting people.
    The stronger their opinion, the more fun it is.

It's why he so frequently targets me -- if you remember, this isn't the first time I've been used as an example in one of his 'lessons'.
    we fukin won boys

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

I comprehend what Nocapszy says, but that doesn't mean that I agree with much of what he says.

MBTI
    ENTP

You can express ideas that you do not have a clear understanding of, as you can simply state 'I do not understand X, or only have a fuzzy idea of what X is'.
    And people will buy it too!

The problem with this is, no matter how clear you think you are, it's still fuzzy.

Generally mathematicians tend not to express ideas on topics they do not understand clearly.
    Mathematicians routinely express ideas on topics they do not understand clearly.
    BlueWing, you're just going to have to trust me on this: You don't have any fucking clue what you're talking about.
    Do you know the intimate details of magnetism? Do you know the wave habits of light? How about induction? Ever even heard of that?
    Of course not.
    I bring these up just as a prelude to the overwhelming vat of knowledge that you don't have, but do need to complete your point.

In most cases they have a very detailed proof in favor of the thesis they are arguing, and it is expressed in terms all other mathematicians understand.
    Many mathematicians do.
    Many. Not most, many.
    Newton was particularly adroit -- remember him?
    Oh! He was the BEST!

Guess what. He was wrong.
    He got every single one of his equations wrong.
    But it was all clear. It was all clear.

BlueWing are you seeing my point here?
    Can ya see where I'm going with this? I figure it ought to be rather clear.
    I've moved on: outside this shell.
    So from here on out, everything I say will be irrelevant to whether or not I post clearly.

As you can see, you were wrong -- the majority of the people here do not find me unintelligible. I did say I would concede to your point if I didn't get a 66% approval rating, and I'm a man of my word.
    You wing BlueWing. Congratulations.

That is not relevant. Whatever mathematicians covered, they have expressed to each other in clear terms. For this reason, they do understand each other.
    And you're more concerned with the discourse than with the correct answer?

Also irrelevant. Only the claims in themselves matter, the claim maker's biography is not relevant. In other words, in itself it tells us nothing about the integrity of the claims made by the claim maker.
    It's clear you don't know what you're talking about -- doesn't that matter?
    So what if I used your biography to envelop a quip about how you're clueless?

I'm right -- doesn't that matter?

I have had exposure to both by virtue of my inquiry into philosophy of mathematics and philosophy of science. (Not relevant but an interesting fact)
    Not enough. You really ought to be embarrassed.

Philosophy of science...
    My God!

The fogginess consists in the lack of information, not in obscurity of their communication. So much of the universe is unknown not because the scientists cannot discuss ideas with each other effectively, but simply because they have not done enough research on the matter.
    Seriously dude? You don't see how this is bad?

We're wasting time if we're talking about things we have the wrong answer to.
    The only constructive thing that can come from it is criticism -- someone else noticing that, while someone's ideas are clear, they're still wrong, and he ought to get his ass back in the field and do more research.

Seems to me we ought to just cut the middle man out and stay in the fucking field.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

^OK, that was perfectly clear and well-elaborated. I don't regret my "yes" vote at all.

This is more entertaining than I thought it would be. I'm curious to see BW's reply.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    And people will buy it too!

The problem with this is, no matter how clear you think you are, it's still fuzzy.

Mathematicians routinely express ideas on topics they do not understand clearly.
    BlueWing, you're just going to have to trust me on this: You don't have any fucking clue what you're talking about.
    Do you know the intimate details of magnetism? Do you know the wave habits of light? How about induction? Ever even heard of that?
    Of course not.
    I bring these up just as a prelude to the overwhelming vat of knowledge that you don't have, but do need to complete your point.

Many mathematicians do.
    Many. Not most, many.
    Newton was particularly adroit -- remember him?
    Oh! He was the BEST!

Guess what. He was wrong.
    He got every single one of his equations wrong.
    But it was all clear. It was all clear.

BlueWing are you seeing my point here?
    Can ya see where I'm going with this? I figure it ought to be rather clear.
    I've moved on: outside this shell.
    So from here on out, everything I say will be irrelevant to whether or not I post clearly.

As you can see, you were wrong -- the majority of the people here do not find me unintelligible. I did say I would concede to your point if I didn't get a 66% approval rating, and I'm a man of my word.
    You wing BlueWing. Congratulations.

And you're more concerned with the discourse than with the correct answer?

It's clear you don't know what you're talking about -- doesn't that matter?
    So what if I used your biography to envelop a quip about how you're clueless?

I'm right -- doesn't that matter?

Not enough. You really ought to be embarrassed.

Philosophy of science...
    My God!

Seriously dude? You don't see how this is bad?

We're wasting time if we're talking about things we have the wrong answer to.
    The only constructive thing that can come from it is criticism -- someone else noticing that, while someone's ideas are clear, they're still wrong, and he ought to get his ass back in the field and do more research.

Seems to me we ought to just cut the middle man out and stay in the fucking field.

Did you ever wonder if you have ADD?

Is it in your power to stay on one topic, specifically the topic I mentioned in the post you were responding to?

I am not talking about whether or not people buy into ideas that are not worthwhile, nor am I talking about whether or not mathematicians have reliable knowledge of mathematics.

Nor am I talking about whether or not people find you intelligible, I am only talking about whether or not mathematicians express their thoughts to one another clearly. Whether or not such thoughts are truth preserving is besides the point.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Did you ever wonder if you have ADD?
    INTPs don't ask other people questions like that. FYI.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

^ What a silly thing to say...

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Jack, there are many kinds of INTP personalities. Temperament is merely an unconscious cognitive tendency.

Consider the INTP psychiatrist, the INTP philosopher and the INTP politician. I guarantee you, they will all be very different from each other. Their minds will work in similar patterns simply because they all tend to critically analyze ideas their minds incept first and foremost.

Earlier you were mentioning the INTP is a primary Intuitive type and that the closest match you can find is Ne-Ti to the INTP.

This is a very interesting observation as many conventional MBTI profiles depict the INTP as a primary intuitive, flighty, unstructured, etc.

This is merely a result of a very superficial set of observations. Those who wrote such profiles meant to depict the type of primary Ti and auxiliary Ne. They did not study the psyche of this type in great depth and merely recorded their superficial observations. Namely they only noticed the Extroverted Intuition which is palpable simply because it is extroverted, but did not see that Thinking holds primacy over Intuition.

That is the MBTI notation for an INTP. It makes no sense at all to call this type primary Intuitive. It would make more sense if you were saying the INTP is an Ni-Te type, exactly the notations that socionics have employed. However, your earlier remark that Ne-Ti appears to be most descriptive of the INTP is completely puzzling.

I suspect you're getting this notion as a result of the many profiles you read where the Ne of the INTP is mistakenly emphasized more than Ti of the INTP.

If you wish to call the INTP a dominant Intuitive type, you must claim that the functions of this type are as follows and in this order, Ni-Te.

INTP-Ne-Ti notation is self-contradictory. I denotes that the primary attitude of the type is Introverted, yet the primacy of the Extroverted function over the Introverted claims the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    So in recapitulation, to directly address your claim, one may say INTPs tend to have ADD tendencies themselves, at least this is what our reading of many INTP profiles leads us to believe. That is not the case because those profiles mistakenly emphasized the auxiliary function to a more significant extent than they have emphasized the primary. The INTP is a dominant Thinking type, this type tends to be highly focused, not scattered. Even David Keirsey acknowledged that the INTP has the ability to focus 'harder' than any other type.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't know how descriptive to get, as I don't want to be too abrasive, but it's all becoming more and more clear as time goes on. To only give one example: Your insistence on defining my functions in terms of the more traditional Jungian functions, but the systems don't match up directly. You have to drop one, and pick up the other, but you refuse. This is the tendency of the ISTJ.