User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default The evolution of the workplace...

We do this to livestock...

and this to the workforce...

How long before they converge? Workers are already considered and expendable commodity. Will we yet see a Soylent Green world?

(Yes, I'm being very cynical this morning.)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

At my workplace, they have these 'mini-cubes' throughout the 2nd floor which are about the size of 2-3 regular cubes, but hold 8 tiny spaces. They were installed because we had a surge of contractor help in the past year or 2. I feel sorry for those who have to sit in there.

Although I must admit, it's convenient for people who are really temporary, such as vendor technicians or professional services folks who are stopping by for a day or 2.

Enneagram
    1w2

I'm turning into a quite tasty piece of veal in my cube.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, we are called long pork for a reason I guess.

MBTI
    ISTP

Most of the differences in the world can be expressed to different degrees with just one concept;

MBTI
    istp

People might not taste that bad.
    Scuse me, gotta run, some 'feeling type' is walking towards me trying to make something called conversation

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by HanoverFist View Post
    People might not taste that bad.
    I've heard that we are exceptionally greasy, much more so than any other critter.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I've heard that we are exceptionally greasy, much more so than any other critter.
    and we get worse by the year...

MBTI
    ISTP

I see nothing really wrong with this. People want their space and privacy and a cubicle/partition board provides that. If you see the big picture, it does look like it sucks as it makes work an inhumane process. Work is pretty inhumane. Most of us would rather take up art (based on your own expression not like Pixar or some oil painting mill) or travel around the world if we didn't have to work.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by sdalek View Post
    How long before they converge? Workers are already considered and expendable commodity. Will we yet see a Soylent Green world?
    Unknown.
    True.
    We will if you fools keep breeding. They claim the population will quit/slow increasing sometime this century at 10B, but that is silly - human population growth appears to be exponential.

Then again, one screw-up in forcing the environment back to maintain our ever growing numbers could result in billions dying of massive plagues... There should be only a fraction as many of us as there are, and we were relatively stable in number for quite some time before we came up with methods to increase our longevity and numbers.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.