Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

Default I must quit smoking

Anybody here deal with this before? Any suggestions?

It's difficult. But I refuse to be held back by a bad habit. It's tough though. The cravings. The headaches after a few days of not smoking.

But I must quit. I want to quit. It's a waste of money. Its hurt my stamina and performance in sports.

No better time than now. It's getting cold outside. I want to compete professionally and can't let opponents have any advantage on me. I got one more pack, and then I'm done. I will miss my smoke buddies at work, but I will gain a lot more.

MBTI
    ENTP

I have quitted after like 2 1/2 years of smoking which wansn't too bad of a time period.
    But i have some concern about this method since you are an extrovert.

Regardless, here is how i did it.

Before you Begin

* Find out your smoking habits. For me, i had a habit of smoking when i woke up. If such habit exists, cut it out immediately, as this will come as psychological temptations -> hindering your quitting process.
    If going out friends lead to smoking, you MUST not go out.
    * Find an addicting entertainment. Be it drama, games, etc. And apply them during the time period you often smoke. For eg. i smoke alot during the night so i played games alot near that time and slept early.
    * Nicotine takes 3-4 days to leave the body. speed up the process with some green tea. After those days its all psychological battle.

Process
    1. Every 3 days, reduce the cigarette by 1 (if this is too fast, extend it, but you need to cut at least 1 every week)
    2. You can start to slow down as you come near the "3 cigarettes-a-day" stage. Instead of cutting off 1, smoke half of it and throw it away after 1 week, so in 2 weeks you will be down to one.
    3. When you get down to 1, smoke 1 every two days.
    4. when #3 seems relative comfotable, every three days. and repeat and lengthen the gap. Soon the gap will be large enough and you will be freed from the chain.

* Cold turkey never works. Mentality of "I'm-never-gonna-smoke-again" never works. Always think i will smoke once in a blue moon, but i'm not going to buy anymore.
    That leads to -> actually quitting, b/c psychological temptation otherwise becomes too overwhelming.

Don't forget

What's truely important is not smoking ever again, but not being enslaved by it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

Thank you.

I always smoke when I wake up and right after I eat.

I used to go for walks in the middle of the night (2am-4am and smoke) but I've recently cut that out since it's become much colder here recently.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

I will quit cold turkey. I can do it. I've done that with drinking and smoking weed. Right now I have the house to myself and the rare allowance of being allowed to smoke in the comfort of my own house. So I will enjoy it for now. When this is over, I am done.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
    I will quit cold turkey. I can do it. I've done that with drinking and smoking weed. Right now I have the house to myself and the rare allowance of being allowed to smoke in the comfort of my own house. So I will enjoy it for now. When this is over, I am done.
    Don't mean to be a downer here, but alcohol and marijuana do not even have a remote fraction of the addictive property that nicotine has. Nicotine actually competes with opiates like heroine in that regard.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    (y)
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTP

Nicotine takes 3-4 days to leave the body. After those days its all psychological battle.
    If what he says is true (and Ive heard it elsewhere too), than the addictive property will not matter.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
    If what he says is true (and Ive heard it elsewhere too), than the addictive property will not matter.
    Bullshit. It takes 45 days to break an addiction.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Bullshit. It takes 45 days to break an addiction.
    45 sorta seems like an arbitrary number, but I can assure you if you've been a long time smoker it is not something that is just done in a week. Heck, for a while I had a bad habit of smoking cigars pretty frequently(10 a week) and I abruptly stopped and I got the headaches and felt like shit for a while, and that was only after smoking for like 2-3 weeks. I think you have to be prepared for a longer more arduous process if you want to be realistic about it.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

you can do it...just get past the first few days...and it becomes easier...and don't drink coffee or cocktails or anything else that will make you wanna a smoke worse...refrain from going out...for a bit...then yeah after a month or two you should be able to add that back in...from my experience anyway...you will most likely always crave them to some degree but...as long as it's just a mental/habitual thing and not a physical thing...it's much easier...the thing that keeps me from smoking when i want one...besides those dreadful tracheotomies commercials...is the fact that...i know it will taste like licking an ashtray and make me nauseous...(for me it does anyway when you're not use to it and not cocktailed)

i've had the easiest time quitting after i catch a cold or something...because...you don't really want to anyway when you don't feel well...and then it's easier just not to after a few days...

i still wish i smoked...and still want to if i drink....but i usually don't...because of the whole tracheotomies thing...haha...and it's really good to not HAVE to...hated that...when it was inconvenient and you wanted/needed to...really annoying.
    good luck!

MBTI
    enfp

hahaha wat do u compete in can i ask?

anyways, quitting cold turkey isn't that hard.

one time i had acl surgery, so i was at my parents house for two weeks after the surgery. pretty much at that time, i couldn't smoke obviously bc i couldn't move to go outside, and my parents don't allow smoking in the house. after those two weeks, i was fine. i didn't even wanna smoke. it was strange now that i think about it how it didn't even seem that hard.