User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Only alone.
    It's lovely to dance alone - as you can become one with the music, and finally, one with the dance.

And dancing with someone you like is magic - you can become, not only one with the music, but one with your partner - and finally, you both become one with the dance.

The burden of self becomes dissolved in the music - and finally the dance.

And how magical that two selves can leave themselves behind for a while, as two become one then disappear entirely into the dance, leaving both relaxed and refreshed.

Who could ask for more?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I like dancing too..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

It pisses me off when guys go all crappy and "Ohh, I can't dance. " when you ask them to. They know I'm just going to pull them onto the floor anyway...and besides, nobody cares if you can't dance. =__= It's not like it takes away from your manliness! In fact, facing your fears and being confident in yourself makes you more of a man!

Okay unrelated but
    <-- LOL WHY
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Okay unrelated but
    <-- LOL WHY
    Because it's better than your m0m.

*does the macarena*

Oh, it's on.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It's lovely to dance alone - as you can become one with the music, and finally, one with the dance.

And dancing with someone you like is magic - you can become, not only one with the music, but one with your partner - and finally, you both become one with the dance.

And how magical that two selves can leave themselves behind for a while, as two become one then disappear entirely into the dance, leaving both relaxed and refreshed.

Who could ask for more?
    I do dance with my husband, but only horizontally.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP

I quit reading at page five because I'm fairly bursting with a desire to express myself!

What's with this judgementalism about OTHER people's dancing? I'm an INFP. I was created with two left feet. No changing that. Sumpin in the wiring. If I worried about what other people thought about my dancing, as though it actually mattered, I wouldn't ever dance in public. Such a loss.

People who make negative statements about my or anyone else's dancing need to be ignored if I'm going to let myself go and have a good time. And I do. If people enjoy it, good for them. If they dislike it, too bad for them. Not my problem.

When I dance I'm not there for anyone else's entertainment or appraisal although that may be a coincidental fact.

Several NFPs said it here. Dancing is a connection to something other than myself. For me music is the language of the human spirit so moving my body creates a deep sense of connection with something eternal and joyful inside of me. The growth force. It becomes very loose and free with physical motion.

Yes, that can be sexual, creative. Yeah. I think that's it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Who could ask for more?
    Words of wisdom from Victor?

I'm marking my calendar, Guy.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Catchin' up on the reading now, Victor. Off subject:

The minister's son used to follow me home from school flinging clods of dirt in my general direction.

(And I couldn't dance worth a poop either. All arms and legs like a joyous stork!)

Ah young love!

MBTI
    intp

Let's face reality. She like a stereotypical man because the stereotypical man will provide for her.

And dancing men are not stereotypical so she is afraid they won't provide for her.

No, the right thing is for her to provide for herself and allow the man to dance for joy to his heart's content.

And let's really face reality - she wants joy for herself but not for her man.

Where's the joy in that?
    Let's face reality: you felt insulted because you perceived an attack on your masculinity. It is the mark of emotional maturity to exercise restraint in the face of perceived attack, but you found it much easier to lash out like a wounded beast to label and vilify that which hurt you. Your labeling is an attempt to externalize the bitter taste of an opinion that it pains you too much to examine more deeply. Having expressed your venom, you then prance about the thread like a ninny.

There are two kinds of dancing - dancing for performance and dancing for joy.

Most dancing we see is dancing for performance so we get a very strange impression of dance.

Performance dancing is for other people and only rarely, if ever, dancing for joy.

Performance dancing is essentially a commodity - it can be bought and sold - and is.

While joy can only be experienced.

But most of all, joy can be shared.

It is a shame that you lacked the grace to extend the art of making distinctions to others as you do to yourself, even though Hmm's post gives you the seeds of possible distinctions.
    First we can distinguish between dance as practicing an art as FDG does (at a recital or a ballroom competition, for example ), and dance for personal entertainment, as at a party. We can all appreciate that if we appreciate the art form, but I thought that was not what was being discussed.
    Now if we look at dance as personal entertainment at a party or whatever other function, we can distinguish between dance for performance, as you put it, and dance "because you feel like it". I can't speak for Hmm (though you dared to), but some women while they enjoy dancing with men who are skilled dancers can at the same time be turned off by the peacocking performance involved. That and the ones who do it well are often a bit too smooth. Not everybody likes performers/exhibitionists/slick dudes. I think if you were concerned with the truth of what Hmm thinks rather than with massaging your sore ego, you could have looked at what Hmm said when she mentioned liking guys who look silly but still dance for the hell of it and seen that she was not about stomping on whatever joy *some* men get from dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Wrong. Some dudes can dance. Some look dorky dancing. It has to do with coordination and awareness of your body. It factors into attractiveness, like it or not. We're not sitting around waiting to crush your joy with our stillettos. If you dance like a dork and you LIKE to dance like a dork, by all means, do it. But you can't control whether people will find it attractive or not.

So . . . tell me about your insecurities regarding your femininity.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I am amazed at the wild assumptions thrown around and antagonizing that came out of a simple thread about dancing.
    I wish I were. :rolli:
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I love to dance. You feel the music and you can't help it, it makes you move. For me, it's always either an emotional or sexual expression.

And, oddly enough, I actually prefer guys who can't or don't dance.
    hey...hows it going
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1