User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Thumbs up November Self-Improvement Project

There are only two things that actually make me improve who I am. One is crying (it's subtle, but my eyes get a little wet) and the second is making pacts with people to do something.

Rather than having a big cry-fest, I was thinking it'd be cool if we pick something we want to improve about ourselves and agree to work on it over the upcoming month. We could post our progress or difficulties in this thread if we want. Of course, I'm going to include some rules, because I'm a closet J.

The Rules:
    1. You must state what it is you want to improve in your life.
    2. You must state in a very specific way how you will go about changing that thing. You can't leave it too vague because that lends itself to abuse, procrastination, and surrender.
    3. At the end of the month, you have to say whether you consider your attempt a success or failure (it has to be one or the other -- no intervals).

Good luck everyone!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

1. There's a lot of stuff I want to change about myself, my opinion about myself, my relationship to my flaws, my self-doubt...but I'm choosing an area of my life that I think needs more attention: my relationship with my mom. It's complicated as a motherfuck, but I don't treat her right and she can't -- she just can't.
    2. I want to make an effort to let my mom know that I actually care about her, but I don't want her to become needy because I'm not comfortable with that. My plan is to try and have a good conversation with her at least three times a week. If I feel an urge to argue or get upset, I'm just going to deal with it wisely and try to remember this thread.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    1. There's a lot of stuff I want to change about myself, my opinion about myself, my relationship to my flaws, my self-doubt...but I'm choosing an area of my life that I think needs more attention: my relationship with my mom. It's complicated as a motherfuck, but I don't treat her right and she can't -- she just can't.
    2. I want to make an effort to let my mom know that I actually care about her, but I don't want her to become needy because I'm not comfortable with that. My plan is to try and have a good conversation with her at least three times a week. If I feel an urge to argue or get upset, I'm just going to deal with it wisely and try to remember this thread.
    That's really honest.

Three a week is quite a lot to start off with if it's already not going so well.
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFP

Mine isn't very personal (although I would like to improve my relationship with my step-mom. That will be next month's project.), but it's important to me.

1. I want to improve my flexibility. I used to be extremely flexible, but I haven't bothered for quite some time. I would like to get back to my optimum flexibility.
    2. This requires about an hour of stretching per day (split into 30 minutes morning/night usually). Lots of pain! But it feels so goood.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't need to improve myself. I'm good as is. It's the rest of the world that is not. I should fix them.

MBTI
    xxxx

Ok I'm in, good idea, no reason to wait until the New Year for a resolution. I've procrastinated enough, time to actually do some stuff. Last week I put holds on half a dozen books that had been recommended to me and I just picked them up this weekend from the library. I've also been meaning to actually start back using the exercise bike this fall and haven't ridden it once in October.

So to kill two birds with one stone I will read the books while riding the bike. My goal is to spend half an hour a day doing that, which will make it a habit, and a good one. Cheers, here's to 15 hours of reading and riding in November.

(note: if for some reason I have to miss a day then I will make it up by doing an hour the next day)

Day 1: half hour in the books, yay me!
    Last edited by pippi; 10-27-2008 at 12:44 PM. Reason: I actually did my half hour

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    Three a week is quite a lot to start off with if it's already not going so well.
    It's not in terrible terrible shape, but I also want to push myself out of my comfort zone.

So Bella, what's your project for the month?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'll work on improving my work ethic. God knows that's the thing that causes me the most trouble...

I'm expected by my school to put in a *minimum* of 18hrs/week towards my honours project, which I'm already not doing so far...so I want to start putting 20hrs/week (not including class) towards school in general, which is still not what's expected, but should be enough, or at least a start, since it's well over what I'm doing now...

I'd like to do these every month, but I never think of it. That's the point, I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    There are only two things that actually make me improve who I am. One is crying (it's subtle, but my eyes get a little wet) and the second is making pacts with people to do something.

Rather than having a big cry-fest, I was thinking it'd be cool if we pick something we want to improve about ourselves and agree to work on it over the upcoming month. We could post our progress or difficulties in this thread if we want. Of course, I'm going to include some rules, because I'm a closet J.

The Rules:
    1. You must state what it is you want to improve in your life.
    2. You must state in a very specific way how you will go about changing that thing. You can't leave it too vague because that lends itself to abuse, procrastination, and surrender.
    3. At the end of the month, you have to say whether you consider your attempt a success or failure (it has to be one or the other -- no intervals).

Good luck everyone!
    1. I want to stop biting my nails.
    2. I will cease to place my nails in my mouth and chew them till they are severed.
    3. Aye aye cap'n.

(If it doesn't sound hard, trust me IT IS.)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

1.) I want to combine creativity, enjoyment of free time, and other open-ended pursuits with planning, hard work and determination in a more functional and enjoyable way.

2.) When I have free time, I will start consciously choosing creative, truly open-ended activities and not waste my time with comforting routine that brings little of anything new. I won't do half performance at my work by dreaming about rest and relaxation in there; rather, I'll learn to effectively engage either in routine or in creative activities at will by the end of the period.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]