User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Hi 12-year-old Usehername,

By late October, you've just begun to settle into a private school in the city that you love for its challenging classes and great environment. I'm sure you've been quite enamoured by your grade 7 English teacher--she was the first "grown up" you've met that's been able to be responsible, on top of things, and perfectly on time and scheduled without losing her imagination. These traits are called xNxJ and you'll learn more about them when you're 19. (19, and in Africa living in a hut with creepy bugs, where you can read to your heart's content and run past the cattle to go take a surfboard down to the gorgeous beach. Yeah, you'll do some cool things when you're older.)

You should know that though your piano teacher is extremely kind and competent, her brain is a lot different than yours. It will truly only help you to look for all the "hidden patterns" you asked her about--it won't "confuse you" like she argues. Go on the Wilderness Trip sooner; these people you'll befriend later are going to be way better and more interesting friends than the jocks you hang out with now.

Things are pretty sweet in your life right now; they'll get progressively harder as you get older. You'll definitely have plenty of fantastic moments, but you'll deal with completely incompetent and irresponsible coaches and various other adults who break the law or otherwise do more harm than good to the teens they're responsible for. When you're just out of High School, you'll be watching 2 loved ones die too young (one slowly and painfully and one suddenly and tragically). You'll learn to value your relationships first and foremost, but you should learn this earlier and make more of an effort to connect with those that are around you.

22-year-old Usehername
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

Although 10 years ago would still be too late:

Dead Ed

Believe it or not, this is future Ed.

Relax, don't worry, everything will be alright... as long as you quit now (you know what I'm talking about)! If you don't... everything may still be alright, but it's going to be a tough journey and you'll often wonder if you're losing your mind.

By the way, contrary to what you're thinking at the moment, you will get laid again. Don't worry the pain will subside over time.

Your best friend,

Ed.

ps. sorry I haven't given you any share / racing tips

MBTI
    INXP

I liked these last two a lot.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Can I steal mippus's message? Pretty much sums. If I could change one minor detail, however...

To 10 and a half years ago:

Dear Mi,

This summer or the next (no, turns out there's no magical adult-memory juice you'll get access to anytime soon, so you'd better start writing things down now), you'll go on camping trip with all the scouting troops. You must prevent anyone from going to the river. Feel free to lie about seeing strange people or alligators or leeches or sneaking laxatives into the blackberry jam you make or faking a seizure. It's really important.

Sincerely, Mi-from-2008.

P.S. Also, you'll figure this out in a few years, so it can't hurt too much: Learn to talk fast. Somehow this makes people think you're "smart" instead of just "weird". I don't know why, but it works. I haven't figured out yet how to change the actual words, but maybe you will.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Can I steal mippus's message? Pretty much sums. If I could change one minor detail, however...

To 10 and a half years ago:

Dear Mi,

This summer or the next (no, turns out there's no magical adult-memory juice you'll get access to anytime soon, so you'd better start writing things down now), you'll go on camping trip with all the scouting troops. You must prevent anyone from going to the river. Feel free to lie about seeing strange people or alligators or leeches or sneaking laxatives into the blackberry jam you make or faking a seizure. It's really important.

Sincerely, Mi-from-2008.

P.S. Also, you'll figure this out in a few years, so it can't hurt too much: Learn to talk fast. Somehow this makes people think you're "smart" instead of just "weird". I don't know why, but it works. I haven't figured out yet how to change the actual words, but maybe you will.
    What happens at the river? Does someone drown?
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Yes.

This hypothetical question does bring up a moral dilemna. Do you change the past? Or only push it in the direction you already know it will move? How do you know the difference?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Dear 9 year old Evan,

Quit looking up to your parents for support, look to your grandparents.

You're gonna make it through life no matter what, you're too god damned smart not to, but take more caution in the decisions you make. And quit complaining about the small shit when you very well know there's more to life than the here and now.

Dont do anything I wouldn't do :P

-Evan

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Yes.

This hypothetical question does bring up a moral dilemna. Do you change the past? Or only push it in the direction you already know it will move? How do you know the difference?
    I voted for not telling myself a 16-year-old cousin was murdered by a drunk teen holding a knife and raging. I think knowing info like that and trying to stop it is messed up, because if no one believes you and it happens anyway, imagine the guilt.
    C.S. Lewis

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

"Invest in Google!.... otherwise, keep it up, you're awesome"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Dear me,

Heh. You feel like a cow, don't you? That baby feels like it's going to drop right out any minute. Don't worry, though, it will be an easy delivery. Very easy. He'll have some breathing problems, but not as bad as his brother and he'll be okay in a day or two.

Do not let your mother-in-law buy that house for you guys. I know you want out of that nasty apartment, that you want something better for the kids, but there aren't really any shortcuts. Don't do it. You'll regret it and it will make your relationship with your mother-in-law worse than it already is.

You are on a heck of a trip, but you'll make it. In ten years, you will have enough money to get by, a home of your own, and your kids will be doing better than you dare hope.

Everybody is going to tell you the boys are fine, that they are talking late because they are boys or because the girls do the talking for them. The boys are wonderful and smart as whips, but they do need some help. They'll be happier sooner with some help. The label is nothing. Don't let is scare you. Listen to your instincts.

Love,
    Me
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers