User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Getting Old

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default Getting Old

At what age it starts feeling like I am getting old and it's bad? You know, people have their mid-life crisis, getting-out-of-college crisis, teenage crisis, retirement crisis, biological clock crisis and some more crises I can't remember now. Do you feel it's bad thing to grow old?

MBTI
    INFP

Heeheehee. I did until I started getting there!

Don't trust anyone over thirty? What the heck were we thinking?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

At what point did you "surrender"?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Heeheehee. I did until I started getting there!

Don't trust anyone over thirty? What the heck were we thinking?
    I had my get out of WTF am I doing ZOMG I will never get to travel europe because I graduated and am getting too old crisis already. Still, never trust anyone over thirty maaaaaannnnn

MBTI
    INFP

I do it just like you all do - a little bit every day!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

For me the thought of getting older was a positive thing (I don't mean like getting all wrinkled and stuff, that's prolly not fun ) and not until recently I have had some mixed emotions about it. When graduated I had this episode of "what the hell I'm gonna do now, I have wasted my best years", but got over it, and now I have had some chronic pain, so I have for the first time in my life started thinking about my health in long term.

Sniffles

Yeah I feel really old, and I'm barely 25.

I've always felt much older than what I really am, and by extension so does everybody else. IRL people think I'm 10 years older than what I really am, and online people commonly mistake me for 50+, including many here.

Is getting old a bad thing? Absolutely not. We have this perverted view that being old is somehow a bad thing, and being young is automatically better. Each stage of life has its purpose, and one of the keys to life is better understanding that with the wisdom that comes with age.

This is beautifully expressed in Ecclesiastes 3:1-8:

There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under heaven:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I've always felt much older than what I really am, and by extension so does everybody else. IRL people think I'm 10 years older than what I really am, and online people commonly mistake me for 50+, including many here.
    Yeah, I thought you were a lot older too. You have the kind of stability in your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Is getting old a bad thing? Absolutely not. We have this perverted view that being old is somehow a bad thing, and being young is automatically better. Each stage of life has its purpose, and one of the keys to life is better understanding that with the wisdom that comes with age.

I like it mostly because I feel more and more in control of myself (not my life, but myself).

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Ayrab View Post
    I had my get out of WTF am I doing ZOMG I will never get to travel europe because I graduated and am getting too old crisis already.
    Yeah I know that feeling. But here's some good insights into that issue:

"The globe-trotter lives in a smaller world than the peasant. He is always breathing, an air of locality...The man in the saloon steamer has seen all the races of men, and he is thinking of the things that divide men diet, dress, decorum, rings in the nose as in Africa, or in the ears as in Europe, blue paint among the ancients, or red paint among the modern Britons...It is inspiriting without doubt to whizz in a motor-car round the earth, to feel Arabia as a whirl of sand or China as a flash of rice-fields. But Arabia is not a whirl of sand and China is not a flash of rice-fields. They are ancient civilizations with strange virtues buried like treasures. If we wish to understand them it must not be as tourists or inquirers, it must be with the loyalty of children and the great patience of poets. To conquer these places is to lose them. The man standing in his own kitchen-garden, with fairyland opening at the gate, is the man with large ideas. His mind creates distance; the motor-car stupidly destroys it."
    --GK Chesterton, Heretics

MBTI
    enfp

lol

i gave in this year

im 31.

i was okay at 30 tho. 30's not bad... lol

i remember when i was 21ish, if i met somoene whose 30, i was like... wtf... how the hell did i meet someone like THAT???

lolz

i get mistaken for 26 all the time tho... haha