User Tag List

First 456

Thread: Getting Old

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, dumb kids we were, INTJMom!

"If it feels good, do it." Good grief, that was a fine bit of advice and probably responsible for some of those little aches and pains.

I don't even like the word "surrender" used in that context. I prefer "accept." I'm sure if I surrender I'll be in that wheelchair way too soon.

A friend I graduated with told me recently that "Sixty is the new forty." I think with modern medicine and more information we aren't aging as severely as people did when I was young.

When I was a kid people in their sixties were grey, some toothless, walking with canes and bent over. My peers hike, travel, play golf. Are pretty vital and active.

(Oh no. I just had a thought about a lawsuit a few years back. Willy Nelson hurt his back badly in bed with a woman. LOL!)
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by amorali View Post
    I don't care about getting old and I wouldn't lie about it either when I start approaching the age people usually start lying about it.
    I have never had a desire to lie about my age.

28 hit me hard
    38 hit me harder... 3 years of depression
    48 not so much
    I'm looking forward to 50 in January.

MBTI
    INFP

Fifty is wonderful! Well, was for me. It was sort of like the thirties but less pulled in so many directions, more sure of who I was and what I wanted/needed.

On my thirtieth birthday I called in sick, stayed home, got drunk and cried! (No wonder - setting myself up like that!)

My sixtieth birthday I celebrated with great flourish and pride. Hey! Lookit me! I'm a survivor!. Like that.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    At what age it starts feeling like I am getting old and it's bad? You know, people have their mid-life crisis, getting-out-of-college crisis, teenage crisis, retirement crisis, biological clock crisis and some more crises I can't remember now. Do you feel it's bad thing to grow old?
    No I don't but I know plenty of people who do. Poor health is to be more feared than growing older.

The better use one makes of time and good health the less regrets I'd think they will feel as they get older. But then I know people who start lamenting about how old they are when they are only 30.
    Last edited by heart; 10-25-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: oops, some of them are here!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    No I don't but I know plenty of people who do. Poor health is to be more feared than growing older.

The better use one makes of time and good health the less regrets I'd think they will feel as they get older. But then I know people who start lamenting about how old they are when they are only 30.
    Some of us just get down on how poorly we ended up spending our 20's. For all the fun many have had they look at their lives and see nothing but a gaping empty hole. I deal with that some, without the benefit of having nearly as much fun, though.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    istp

for many people it is hard to truly appreciate something until you have lost it.

when i think about getting old, i realize that youth is what i can appreciate now, a lifetime of experience is what i can appreciate later.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    for many people it is hard to truly appreciate something until you have lost it.

when i think about getting old, i realize that youth is what i can appreciate now, a lifetime of experience is what i can appreciate later.
    Assuming you have the resources to enjoy it.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]