User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Getting Old

MBTI
    ISTJ

At 48, I smile a bit and ask, "do I fear aging?" In a word, yes.

I just don't equate aging with how many months (576), weeks (2,304), days 55,296), hours (1,327,104) or minutes (76,626,240) I've gone through on this planet.

I'm sure when I get old, it'll most likely (what's that word......? oh yes...) suck.
    ...doesn't work or play well with others...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    When your knees start snaping like your mother's do, or you wince in pain when standing from a seated position the way your father does. There's also when you suddenly realize you've experienced more than what most of the people around you have. When you hang out with people of your parent's or grandparent's generations just to keep from feeling out dated...
    *yowls set to make the hound of the Baskervilles proud*

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Then I'm old- my left knee is shit and I can't stand well with it AND it occasionally locks on me.

I hate you runvardh... you've made me feel old
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INxJ

Almost, 25. I feel strange about that, but I imagine I will be better off in my 30's.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I was always so focused on school when I was younger, I never really did the "just have fun" thing - and sort of wish I'd done things differently.
    Thank you for reminding this INT why she has spent her university years socializing and introspecting instead of achieving academically. I need that reminder every once in a while these days...

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I'd say I started to feel older physically at about 38. So I did something about that and I feel pretty great at 40. I've never looked my age though. 8-10 years younger (my mom and grandmother also look younger than they are). I have never felt "old" and I doubt I ever will.
    If that is you on your avatar, you look very much younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I visit Mom at her care center and see vibrant, contented oldsters and others who sit in grim silence muttering to themselves. And I think, "Keep working on it, Girl. You don't want to end up stuck in bed or a wheelchair and miserable." Talk about a living hell!
    Yeah, whenever there's a bunch of old people who are treated in the same place, there are the ones who are enjoying their lives even if they cant move much or see, and then there are the ones who have made a decision to give up and not even try. I guess in that point it very much comes down to "have you lived your life as you wished" and the one's who haven't are in a horrible place.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, nolla. In my day we didn't go around asking how people felt about being old. We were working too hard for that sort of foolishness.

People just got old.

Damn straight they did! They got damn old and that was good enough for us.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, the kids these days, so demanding, they expect to be happy and all that shit...

MBTI
    INFP

Oh lookit!

Little nolla grew horns. Charming. May I add her to my bottled baby collection?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    At what point did you "surrender"?
    I surrendered at 41.

I have always thought of age and wisdom going together, and since I'm very fond of wisdom, I have, sort of in the back of my mind, been looking forward to mentally aging, but I can't say I'm enjoying physically aging. As a matter of fact, in the last couple of years it has begun to significantly concern me.

You're not really old until you're 80.
    I am really shocked at how many active happy people I know who are in their 70's.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Don't trust anyone over thirty? What the heck were we thinking?
    I've been wondering the very same thing!!