User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Getting Old

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was NOT fond of turning 25... I haven't acheived anything yet and I'm a quarter the way to 100 and probably half way to dead...

... on the bright side, most people still think I look like I'm 18 years old, so at least I get by feeling young when I get carded to watch R rated movies and such
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    IN??
    Enneagram
    IDK

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I was NOT fond of turning 25... I haven't acheived anything yet and I'm a quarter the way to 100 and probably half way to dead...

... on the bright side, most people still think I look like I'm 18 years old, so at least I get by feeling young when I get carded to watch R rated movies and such
    My wife is like that. She's 34 and get's carded for smokes all the time.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm enjoying getting older. My childhood and teens and early twenties were tumultious to say the least, so getting older is nice because I'm calming down.
    I look younger than I am too. As long as I have my one tablespoon of olive oil a day I'm going to be sha-na-na for years to come. Heck, yes!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFP

I encourage young to be careful how they define old age because whatever they create is what they'll be living in if they survive.

I visit Mom at her care center and see vibrant, contented oldsters and others who sit in grim silence muttering to themselves. And I think, "Keep working on it, Girl. You don't want to end up stuck in bed or a wheelchair and miserable." Talk about a living hell!

The wheelchair and the bed may not be optional but the state of mind is.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    The wheelchair and the bed may not be optional but the state of mind is.
    Yes that's an important point to make.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

When your knees start snaping like your mother's do, or you wince in pain when standing from a seated position the way your father does. There's also when you suddenly realize you've experienced more than what most of the people around you have. When you hang out with people of your parent's or grandparent's generations just to keep from feeling out dated...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Do you feel it's bad thing to grow old?
    No. I don't fear getting old. Because the older I get, the more I will know, and seeing as it's a goal of mine to "learn and see everything" it's good to know I've probably got 60+ years left to cram more information into my head and travel.

[silly]I'm actually a little excited to be an old lady (in 60 years). Because then, I can be the "eccentric old woman who all the children think is a witch because she still has long hair and it's white like cobwebs and what does she do in her basement at night I swear I saw her flying on a broom once".[/silly]

What I don't look forward to is chronic pains, arthritis, dementia, and the myriad of other potential end-of-your-life problems.

As for now. I'm still quite young and wet behind the ears. I don't feel old yet. Hell, I don't even feel old enough yet. I suspect in a couple of years I'll be thinking differently. Mostly, I want to get out of this last year of the major "book learnin" stage of my life and into a completely other realm of learning.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INFP

So. Now I've been thinking.

Cons:

Constant physical maintenance
    Slower to learn
    Slower at everything!
    Wincing at derogatory remarks about age
    Aches and pains
    Caution about sounding like an "old f**t"
    Forgetfulness - this one is really irritating
    Multiple losses/grief
    Some periodic confusion

Pros:

More comfortable in my skin
    No hormonal mood changes
    Less anxiety/fear
    Know a lot of stuff you can't learn from a book
    Permission to let my eccentric side show
    Need less sleep
    Increased contentment
    Enough self-esteem/confidence
    People offer me so many more courtesies than I've been accustomed to earlier in life.

Okay. Those came quickly off the top of my head. So I've got a 50/50 deal going here.

Is the glass half full or is it half empty?

Boils down to attitude. And that's what it's always been about, anyway.

Another - I've been doing it long enough to know what works for me!

The most difficult part of being old? When I see younger folks making major mistakes and knowing that nothing I say will make much difference. Learning from my mistakes was how I learned. Why would it be any different for anyone else?

But I don't like it. Always want it to be easier for my kids and people I like than it was for me.

That's a toughie.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

whatever said that she(?) is estimating time. That's something strange I've noticed about time. It's gotten very elastic. I just don't experience time in the same way that I did when I was younger.

MBTI
    INtP

I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to get old, but there are parts of it that aren't so fun. I'm 37, and just starting to get the "sigh, I'm old" thoughts every now and then. That's really just started happening in the last few years - 30 was no problem, 35 was no big deal, but now, it bothers me on occasion. I was always so focused on school when I was younger, I never really did the "just have fun" thing - and sort of wish I'd done things differently.

On the other hand, it's not all bad. I'm closer to retirement than I used to be .