User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Getting Old

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't care about getting old and I wouldn't lie about it either when I start approaching the age people usually start lieing about it.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I felt old at 22. After every "stage" of my life, I feel like if I could start it over with hindsight, I'd ace it. I would imagine this feeling is nearly universal among human-kind.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I felt old at 22. After every "stage" of my life, I feel like if I could start it over with hindsight, I'd ace it. I would imagine this feeling is nearly universal among human-kind.
    I guess so. But the things you would change and the things I would change might differ a lot.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm 26 and smack in the middle of this one:

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    getting-out-of-college crisis
    Last year around this time I was smack in the middle of an identity crisis. Since then I've become more comfortable in my own skin but somewhere along the way I seem to have lost my purposefulness and my ability to carry through. For the first time in my life I can identify with all of those "where do you get motivation?" threads over at INTPc... - I really hope that I get next year off from crises!

---

Regarding age, I've always been considered older than I was except when I was an awkward teenager. Before then I was a precocious child; since then I've had black hair, a grown-up wardrobe and apparently the attitude of an Enneagram 8. When people see me and my blonde, delicate, unassuming ISFP sister, who is four years my senior, together, they never fail to assume that I'm the older one. I like to think it's not because I look 30 but because she looks 25. An ENTP who was meeting me for the first time guessed I was 26 three weeks before I turned 26, so I guess I pretty much look my age now (he warned me that he was going to be brutally honest and I want to believe him ). - As yet I haven't really felt that I am aging, so I'm focusing on others' perception of my age. Although I just might be starting to need less sleep, but that's a very welcome change.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

It just occurred to me that here in MBTIc we have some sort of a dream world. People are comfortable with their age and freakin hot also (--> http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...e-current.html). Come on, this can't be true... somethings not right with this...

MBTI
    INXP

There was a point at which I felt like I'd lived my life through film. Something like Scenes From A Marriage is so realistic that it feels like it was my own experience; that I'd done it, and gotten it out of the way.

And being a very lethargic teenager at 15/16 had me needing quiet and solitude. I got used to the lifestyle, and now I'm just an old lesbian who likes vintage jazz records. There's a surprising amount of pleasure in that.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Wow. That was incredibly poetic. After reading that I feel empty in a good way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd say I started to feel older physically at about 38. So I did something about that and I feel pretty great at 40. I've never looked my age though. 8-10 years younger (my mom and grandmother also look younger than they are). I have never felt "old" and I doubt I ever will.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I am 39 and feel better physically than I did when I was in my 20's. I also don't act or feel my age at all which I think is weird. I spent my 20's worrying about everything and feel much better in my skin now.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I am 39 and feel better physically than I did when I was in my 20's. I also don't act or feel my age at all which I think is weird. I spent my 20's worrying about everything and feel much better in my skin now.
    I started feeling physical changes in my early/mid 30's (I turn 40 next month).

However, I actually am a lot happier as who I am now, happier with myself, and acting a lot younger (I usually pass for around 30).

So while yes, there are more limitations -- more aches and pains, more things you have to look out in terms of not hurting yourself, more time needed to heal, more sleep, etc. -- I think at the same time psychologically one is finally starting to meld with who they are, what they want, what is important to them, what they need to do in their life to feel content, etc.

Old age really to me is not as big an issue until your body is falling apart and severely hindering your capabilities, leading to depressed and a sense of lack of potency. My mom just told me she has a cataract (she's in her 60's); that sort of thing is scary to me. And I watched my grandfather in his 80's be blind for all practical purposes, not very mobile, and just unable to do much for himself; I don't like the thought of that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft