• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beta NF vs Delta NF

berenj

MBTI Type
INFJ
What are the major differences between Beta NFs and Delta NFs?

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've struggled to define the difference between the two myself and I'll try to explain what I've learnt.

Beta NFs use Fe which gives them an access to emotional atmosphere of the surroundings, not only one is aware of how others around them feel, beta NFs can easily transform these feelings. Since Fe is mostly concerned with the positive aspects of feelings, they will try to eliminate negativism and gloom and change it to more light and pleasant atmosphere. Fe in combination with valued Se adds a special intensity to one's feelings and therefor expresion of these types can seem dramatic and theatrical, their feelings are very vibrant and present in a concrete enviroment. They value people who can express themselves openly and visibly, they like to laugh loud, talk loud and enjoy passion in their lives.
Delta NFs on the other hand value Fi, feelings of these types are also very intense, but are rather kept inside or shared with selected individuals. Even though delta NFs are also very aware of the emotional atmosphere around them, they chose to rather concentrate on their own feelings or intimate relationship than on the feelings of the whole group. Deltas also value Si which adds an extra tenderness to their emotional life and forces them to seek harmony and peace rather than drama and fire.

Betas value Ni, that means evaluation of situation throughout time. They can easily spot trends and sequences that repeat themselves and calculate the most possible outcomes or future happenings. Ni works as a calculator of events. That makes them an excellent troubleshooters who can eliminate issues before they even happen. Ni however is a highly subjective introverted function and because it is a percieving function it gives them a special "outwordly" vibe. They do not see situations that happen around them, but live in their percieved visions of future as their brain automatically calculates effects of the present/past at the future. This is the reason why many poeople can see them as visionares and seers. Beta NFs however miss Te, wihich in socionics means valuation of productivity, work and quality of products. The groundings force of gamma quadra (Ni+Te) is missing in beta which makes beta NFs especially idealistic about the visions of their introverted preception. They can get easily lost in their dreams and ideas forgeting about actual activity in physical world. This is the reason why they are often called the most idealistic types of all. Along with low but valued Se they might waist time with meaningless activities and spontanues outbursts of energy followed by times of escapism and high introspection.Betas also value Ti. Ti works best in settled and organized system, they dislike chaos and anarchy and want to find structure and order where it misses.
Delta NFs value Ne, in socionis that means an evaluation of all possibilities that might or might not take a place in a physical reality. Ne understands the Ni's calculation of events, but sees it as limited and onesided. Ne hates to be constrained with just one outcome, it seeks many different options. Stratiyevskaya (one of the socionics psychologist) described delta quadra as a complex of clipped wings, which perfectly describes delta's dislike for limitations. Extroverted intuition is not concerned with seeking one concrete answer, it loves to ask questions and blooms when it can analyze the new, unusual and orginal without limiting itself with one idea or opinion.
Deltas are freespirited and open-minded people, but they value hard work and progress. They hate to waste their time feeling unproductive and lazy, they want concrete results in a concrete world, which means they are loyal and idealistic employees. Delta NFs also have low and unvalued Ti which means they can struggles with strict rules and organization. They feel at their best when they can work in open and creative environment.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I can easily see why people get confused between Beta and Delta NF. They will share similar values (both value self-discovery/expression and the human/societal condition in general). And they really can look similar in their mentalities.

I already like the post [MENTION=18559]Fay[/MENTION] wrote, so I won't add anything to that in this post (maybe in another), but I really wanted to say that it's really easy to not fit into the delta/beta quadras as an NF.

For deltas, the focus is heavy on practicality/hard work ...BOTH of which I am bad at; so the focus is more on Delta ST values. However, there are descriptions that say that deltas (the NFs) care about their personal feelings about life and enjoy new experiences to help them grow as an individual and take on projects that excite them. So I identify as Delta NF because although I am not practical, it's fun to focus on personal projects that only help me in a subjective way.

Beta (ST) is about Hierarchy and social structure and working within those structures. I can't see how a Beta NF would relate to that (maybe it's because I am not a beta NF), but focusing on social order/rules doesn't seem to be something they're natural at. Fortunately, the description for Beta (NF) will make it much easier for them to see that they do belong to the Beta quadra because emotional expression is emphasized. Feeling doesn't exist for its own sake like it does for Delta NFs, feelings matter in a social context (stimulating others to "feel" along with you (EIE ...Oprah) or picking up on how everyone else is feeling and analyzing that (IEI). Wanting to be admired by the masses, making a "personal" statement or wanting to be a part of or start something that impacts those around you is very Beta NF. Feeling is focused on other people, even as it relates to the self... it's about an image in some cases.

Feeling for delta NF is independent of what's going on outside of them (they don't desire to be the in the spotlight/public eye/have an influence on the masses). Even if they do end up in the spotlight and end up a champion of values, they will do it stubbornly. Anger is a great sign that you've touched on a value that they won't budge on. They can appear uptight for that reason.

Feeling for beta NF is about influencing people's perceptions/outlook. They are good at rallying people to their cause and they easily get lost in the excitement of the feeling they've created (positive or negative). They know how people will react to them/their ideas/values and can use that knowledge flexibly.

They are similar in the sense that they have causes that matter to them and they spend their lives trying to do what is most meaningful for them. Both of them really aren't practical people, not naturally. Both are similar in the sense that they need to be stimulated or they get bored. Deltas are stimulated by Ne to chase after new experiences that life has to offer or new ways of understanding humanity. There is not a single "goal" to meet ...as Ne is all about seeking newness.

Betas are stimulated by Se. Se is about competition and pushing yourself hard to accomplish something ...so they will want to be the "best" or most influential and will tire themselves out acheiving their goals. Keep in mind that Se is lower in their stack (but still valued) ...so they can still appear lazy/lack focus ...but they still value pushing themselves to reach their goals and will compare themselves against a benchmark as they work.

As an EII myself, it's easy to see myself in both delta and beta NF ...but my distaste for competition is clear. Also, I don't care to "share" my passions with the world, I keep it to myself and only share it with select few who already feel the same or understand without me having to explain myself much.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thoughtlost said:
Beta (ST) is about Hierarchy and social structure and working within those structures. I can't see how a Beta NF would relate to that (maybe it's because I am not a beta NF), but focusing on social order/rules doesn't seem to be something they're natural at.

The beta NFs I have known are very into rules and order, especially those that prefer Fe over Ni.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
The beta NFs I have known are very into rules and order, especially those that prefer Fe over Ni.

You know, when I made that post, I would have disagreed with you. But now, I see things differently. I do think that people with Fe care about social structure A LOT. More than I realized. Even the introverted ones are into it, they won't blindly adhere to it, but they'll recognize that a social structure exists and develop a world and self view in relation to that.

Thelema

Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think those types are similar at all, as they belong to opposite quadras. EIE, as a Beta extrovert type, can be much more harsher than any of the Delta NFs. Betas value VISIBLE, dynamic emotional expression - which is Fe in Socionics. To Deltas, this kind of expression may come across as vulgar/unpleasant, and they don't care as much about sharing their opinions with a group.

Dashy CVII

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you want to understand the essence of Beta NF vs Delta NF, honestly, look at the images of the people who Filatova typed herself in-person. Then you might ask the question, does an MBTI type have anything to do with one's Socionics type?

When I look at these photos, I see one thing: Since humans live more in their minds than not, Xi is the default process, and Xe is a reaction to the outside. Look at these pictures of IEEs and EIEs: Jung called the extreme extrovert one detached from who he/she really is. For the Beta NF, that false self is the feeler, while the real self is the intuitive. Fe is the perk-up. And so for normal EIEs, thought always goes back to intuition, until the environment calls for Fe reaction. As someone rooted in intuition, an EIE must demonstrate their judgement strength once provoked by externals. That Fe is their survival reaction, else they will be left vulnerable.

IEEs by Filatova
L4h47af.jpg

EIEs by Filatova
rWStpz7.png

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is interesting. I’ll think about it then get back with you.

Enneagram
9w1
I relate to both so maybe I'm an LII.

I have pretty bad Fi in that I don't care for relations with people as much as the ideas and emotions they give me, and that's what I give others. But my Fe is also pretty bad in that I am more in my head than expressing what others want, if anything the only thing Fe about me is my love for romanticism and drama, a more intuitive use of emotions rather than physical.

I am a joker at heart though. If that means anything.

Actually I'm pretty damn sure I'm an LII. Well that's what I always say. I always get a revelation that I'm that type but then I go back on it.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Personally speaking -

Beta's way of looking at and approaching the world, relationships, human beings can feel very alien and confusing to me. Guess maybe it is the naivete of the Se PoLR partly, and also aligns with the way EII are portrayed (that I don't understand, nor can detect manipulation, even social/political 'benign' manipulation). Honestly I knew nothing about it and didn't even realize this was a thing until my brother, who is LIE, explained this to me, given that he has better access to the Ni/Se and is also way more skeptical of people than I am.

I think these give a pretty good picture:

Beta:
2. "Decisive" trait (predominance of involutionary irrational aspects -Ni -Se)
In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to interact with others from the position of power 2) to interact with others from the position of advantage in rights, standing, and power 3) to use power methods to fight for an advantageous position within the system and have the right to put a claim to it 4) to operatively, in condensed periods of time, solve problems, his own and those of others, making responsible decisions and making others obey them 5) to win a dominating place in a system, to advantageously and operatively use own fighting qualities and particularities of the present moment 6) to authoritatively impose one's own will, decisions, and opinions.

3. "Subjectivist" trait (predominance of evolutionary rational aspects +Ti +Fe)
In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to subjective analysis of events, opinions, and actions 2) to search for "the culpable" and displace them from the system, at the same time resisting being displaced, fighting for one's own place within the system 3) to contend the opinions and decisions of others and impose his own opinion as the final truth 4) to deliver his opinions firmly, sharply, unequivocally, displacing opponents out of the argument, out of the system of relations, out of the social system, and into the lower strata.

Delta:
2. "Objectivist" trait (predominance of evolutionary logic of actions and ethics of relations: +Fi +Te)
In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to trust their personal experience – professional, pragmatic, business experience derived from personal observations – and insist on one’s right to further act in accordance to it 2) to trust facts and to become persuaded by facts – to provide them as the main proof of one's correctness 3) to evaluate the situation by already transpired facts and to act in accordance with circumstances existing up to date, trusting one's own experience and one's notion of expedience of a particular course of action 4) to evaluate a person according to the level of his qualifications, based on facts of his professional training, attainments, and competence 5) to remove (or ask for removal) from work those who are inept and negligent, to push them out from work and projects 6) to fight for one's own participation in work or a project, for one's place on a working team, and to be able to defend it.

3. "Judicious" trait (predominance of involutionary intuition of potential and sensing of sensations: -Ne -Si)
In accordance with this trait, every person has the right 1) to develop their own creative abilities and talents, to be proud of them, and to demonstrate them at any convenient opportunity 2) to freely develop one’s own creative potential, to choose an occupation by one’s preferences 3) to at length discuss any interesting to them topic from perspective of multiple meanings, demanding respect towards one’s opinion irrespective of whether or not one is knowledgeable of the topic 4) to respect the opinion of authoritative experts, to make references to authoritative sources (for as long as they are considered to be so) 5) to indefinitely talk about and discuss an interesting to them problem instead of resolving it (or in place of resolving it)

Also apparently, according to my brother, some Beta NFs can "bullshit" (obviously not always, but they are still capable) manipulating actual reason in favor of public persuasion through charm (Fe) and force (Se). They sound convincing even if they are not actually. Of course given that Te is 1D for me, I cannot spot this either; all I can tell is whether I find someone genuine or not. I am not a fan of "performances" whether through writing or oral, clearly attempting to (agenda) achieve some kind of public impact (persuasion; practically borders on attempted brainwashing at times - closing down alternative viewpoints, steamrolling people, repeating something (en masse; bandwagon effect kind of) so often it starts sounding like the only viewpoint out there - I find it obnoxious) when it comes to an argument, regardless of whether or not they are correct, or to what extent they are correct - and then going on to pretend they are not doing anything. I am, of course, not suggesting Beta NFs, or Betas in general, are insincere all the time, but I have seen the downside of desperately wanting social power and influence - REGARDLESS of instinct - so bad that I have developed a distaste for it.

None of this I would have known had I not encountered the typology community. I tend to stay comfortable with people close to me, who understand me.

Of course Delta NFs can also have flaws, it depends on the individual and interpersonal compatibility between two people.