• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fi vs Fe

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi is meant to be felt and understood (reacts to stimulus in a way that promotes introspection so that one may judge it and see how it situates with them personally, more stable and static than Fe; in that it remains relatively consistent in its judgements (ExFp less so because it prioritizes it's Fi for its desire to explore and take up more space in the world of ideas and people), Fe is meant to be felt and acted upon (reacts to stimulus in a way that promotes activity for some cause, whether the cause is unconscious or mentally planned; more mobile and dynamic than Fi, in that it changes very easily in the moment (IxFp less so because it prioritizes its Fe to help them create the best, most refined experiences that best create their worldview and sense of placement in the world)). :shrug: that's how I see it, and if this is right then I'm more likely an Fi valuing type, Leading or Hidden Agenda.

Aaaand this is where Fe starts to sound like a Jungian/MBTI IxFP.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's a Fi/Fe question...

Is emotional sensitivity that triggers avoidance more common to one of these functions or the other? Or do both tend to avoid certain kinds of emotional negativity? For example:

Not watching/listening to the news because the sadness of it is too much - either because there is nothing you can do about it or it just makes you sad.

Avoiding arguments because the emotional negativity hurts too much.

Avoiding friends who are going through terrible pain because the empathy triggers pain when listening? Which is most likely to stick around and here about tragedy in a friend's life?

Any other circumstances where either Fi or Fe specifically avoids negative emotions? It may be good to clarify if the negative emotions are angry or sad.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Is emotional sensitivity that triggers avoidance more common to one of these functions or the other? Or do both tend to avoid certain kinds of emotional negativity? For example:

Not watching/listening to the news because the sadness of it is too much - either because there is nothing you can do about it or it just makes you sad.

Avoiding friends who are going through terrible pain because the empathy triggers pain when listening? Which is most likely to stick around and here about tragedy in a friend's life?

Any other circumstances where either Fi or Fe specifically avoids negative emotions? It may be good to clarify if the negative emotions are angry or sad.

The examples you gave to me, remind me more of Fe avoidance reasons to me. I avoid things like the plague too, but it's for a different reason. I can't just sense an emotional "climate" of a room and therefore avoid it for that, I avoid situations because I more or less know how it will directly make me feel, and that is separate to how others feel. Other people's sadness doesn't sadden me, it's a part of human nature, and I know the benefit that experiencing sadness at times, can actually bring someone, but hopelessness and low self esteem are more hot button issues for me.

I don't think I was very clear, but basically, I avoid very specific situations that I know exactly will ensure unnecessary pain. "Sad" things or situations that are typically associated with "sadness" don't phase me because I know I may not feel sadness myself and that is something I have to experience first hand to know if it's something worthy of a labeled "sad" situation in my emotional encyclopedia.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The examples you gave to me, remind me more of Fe avoidance reasons to me. I avoid things like the plague too, but it's for a different reason. I can't just sense an emotional "climate" of a room and therefore avoid it for that, I avoid situations because I more or less know how it will directly make me feel, and that is separate to how others feel. Other people's sadness doesn't sadden me, it's a part of human nature, and I know the benefit that experiencing sadness at times, can actually bring someone, but hopelessness and low self esteem are more hot button issues for me.

I don't think I was very clear, but basically, I avoid very specific situations that I know exactly will ensure unnecessary pain. "Sad" things or situations that are typically associated with "sadness" don't phase me because I know I may not feel sadness myself and that is something I have to experience first hand to know if it's something worthy of a labeled "sad" situation in my emotional encyclopedia.
I was trying to not include any bias in my wording, but I may have because just recently I've noticed a little more avoidance from Fe. I avoid some of the large-scale negativity with the news or certain movies on certain days, but not with individuals at all. I love beautiful sadness in images and movies, but extreme violence and tragedy I take in doses - except if it is real and with actual friends, then I can hear a great, heavy load of tragedy, but I understand why most people can't. I have friends who genuinely can't hear too much pain in the lives of their friends because they are too sensitive and have enough going on. One friend is either ISTJ or ISFJ, so I've been curious. It may be more experiential than Fi or Fe, but it will be interesting to hear what people say.

Edit: I typically do feel in response to any negative emotion I encounter, but with friends it's worth it. I have really high tolerance for emotional pain. That's why I was wondering if there is a connection with function.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi = needs awareness
Fe = attitudes/moral orientations

Fe and Fi have a different sense of values ecology. Fi, to me, seems so much more likely to validate the reality of the other immediately (altho, to be precise, focused Fi validates the experience of the other rather than the reality). Fi is better, in this sense, of exploring and gathering information, and it often has a better compass for this, digging deeper to get at what the person is needing. Needs are accepted and validated rather than pressured by a sense of what would be best. the bestness comes from ways of meeting needs that are helpful rather than harmful as much as possible.

Fe is more like, we must search for the good and embody it. there's a different relationship with how the idea of it informs us, and it has to do with how we integrate our sense of self (our various senses of self). there's this refinement of aim and purpose, trying to build a perspective and sense of guidance to aim what we strive to become. sometimes the downside of this is we lose the sense that in terms of actual choice, we can only really choose a path. the upside is that we take the time to build predictive models within ourselves that lend themselves to much consideration, when we do the work to use them skillfully. i've been told, personally, that i have these darts, this way of asking questions to pull things out from otherwise hidden spaces. the process just involves having cultivated models that help me make good guesses. working with those constructively, tho, means being present in the actual situation and the ebb and flow in terms of how we are making a sense of that together, inside and out.

they're both a side of the values process. having growth models is helpful, as is getting to the core essence of self beyond identity, where we remember what being alive is like most fully. similarly, having a rich language/grammar to articulate is valuable, as is remembering how to interact in a way that produces real, exploratory dialogue.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi is, roughly speaking, knowing what you want in relationships, and having ability to regulate that. Fe is, roughly speaking, emotional display appropriate to the situation.

I agree.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I only have my own anecdotes to contribute. They obviously aren't a reflection of Fi as a whole.

I don't watch or listen to the news. If I want to know about a specific political event I'll look into it, but I don't watch everday or anything like that. A large part of that is because it gets very overwhelming and creates this sense of helplessness, bitterness, and horror for me and makes me question whether life is worth living in a world like this. Another part is that endless political posturing in the form of arguing or debating bores and irritates me.

I don't avoid arguments because I feel compelled to confront and speak my mind. I view it as the right thing to do. I don't like arguments though and would prefer that they just didn't happen.

I wouldn't avoid friends who are going through pain unless they are clingy or so steeped in negativity that being around them is draining.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
-Fi in socionics (base of ESI): attitude towards someone, like/dislike, love/hate in individual form, attachment, sadness, fairness/unfairness, sympathy, kindness.
+Fi in socionics (base of EII): motivation, love in universal form, right/wrong, punishment (as in, of a wrongdoing), internal emotion, values, empathy, good.
-Fe in socionics (base of ESE): acceptance, being mean to someone in order to better their situation, championing for your values in the external world, minimizing negative emotion, gossip, bluntness, objetivity.
+Fe in socionics (base of EIE): emotional atmosphere, maximizing emotion, interpretation, being kind to someone no matter their circumstances, mentoring, acceptance of someone without judging them.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I was trying to not include any bias in my wording, but I may have because just recently I've noticed a little more avoidance from Fe. I avoid some of the large-scale negativity with the news or certain movies on certain days, but not with individuals at all. I love beautiful sadness in images and movies, but extreme violence and tragedy I take in doses - except if it is real and with actual friends, then I can hear a great, heavy load of tragedy, but I understand why most people can't. I have friends who genuinely can't hear too much pain in the lives of their friends because they are too sensitive and have enough going on. One friend is either ISTJ or ISFJ, so I've been curious. It may be more experiential than Fi or Fe, but it will be interesting to hear what people say.

Edit: I typically do feel in response to any negative emotion I encounter, but with friends it's worth it. I have really high tolerance for emotional pain. That's why I was wondering if there is a connection with function.

I am by far no authority on Fi or Fe, and hopefully, I didn't come across as accusatory, but no, I don't feel your words were filled with bias :)

I think there may be some subtleties between Fi and Fe users in emotional avoidance, I mean, who wishes to bask in depressive environments unless that's just "your thing" then hey, more power to ya. But that's the thing, I think there would be more similarities than differences, and the differences, are probably seen more in the nuances between how the types differ, or the underlying currents beneath the outward expressions.

When it comes to emotion and feeling, that's one area how I feel people as a whole, share more commonalities, rather than differences. It's also an area where simple interests or biases in thought and perception cannot merely cover up as emotion is so visceral and genuine. How does one mask something that is so true? Then again, this comes from the mind of a Feeler. I'm sure some Thinkers would think otherwise.

Kind of what I was alluding to in my prior reply, it's hard for me to feel like I understand an emotional atmosphere towards a situation if I haven't yet experienced something similar to it before. I literally won't know how to approach it and will feel rather numb at first. I'll need time to process and sift through all th information first, before making any judgements on it.

Though I feel in touch with emotion rather strongly and can pinpoint nuances rather adeptly, I suck at picking up the social emotional atmosphere without first probing someone at least a little. Once I get some words out of someone, and it doesn't have to be directly tied to how they're feeling, but just how I "read" their words and responses, THEN, I can pick up the emotion external to my own.

I think it's pretty bad ass that some people can literally pick up on the emotional vibes of a situation. I feel I can, but it's something I have to actively do, it isn't something I'm just reading by default. What I pick up on by default, tends to be more the social climate of a room, more So dom type things... I think :p

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I realize that introverted feeling can be a bit unfair of when it comes to their feelings of like/dislike towards someone.
I can dislike a person despite how sweet and genuinely caring; they care about humanity/individual people... like, they can be genuinely good people, and realize that, but I still don't like them. Of course, I will try to still act nice and stuff because I am aware that I need to and I try not to be an active jerk. But I am always highly aware about how my feelings about that particular person.

Extroverted feeling is different. They care more about getting along with others and having a good atmosphere where people can be social. Extroverted feeling (from my personal experience) seems to be much nicer/doesn't usually strongly dislike individual people. I am not saying Fe people are nicer (they can be harsh in their own way).

Keep in mind that this is just my experience, but basically a focus on Fe creates an externally comfortable environment (and even if they don't create it ...they like it when it is created) for others while a focus on Fi creates an externally cold environment in general.

I don't actually think people with Fi are super cold people. We can be really warm, but that's harder to maintain and I can only do it if I am in the mood. It's not my main way of being.

My question is that why does Fi have to be so "cold"? Why do I prefer "colder" people? Why does a strong focus on Fe have to annoy me so much?

Enneagram
9w1
Fi is very contemplative in searching for what it feels or what it wants to feel or make others feel, it needs to know what it truly is and believes; it is more fantastical and idealistic and not as keen on implementing its desires, very oriented towards the most accurate idea of who they are. Also is way more stable and not able to effectively act in a way that is unlike how they have judged to be most proper and respectable. Not emotionally flexible, can't feel what others are feeling if it is unlike what they feel at the moment. Negative interpretations of Fi might include: fake, overly idealistic yet not really being who they say they are, cold and inexpressive, selfish, way too sensitive for the real world, unable to feel natural around people they dislike, silently judgemental yet won't talk it out.
Fe is way more dynamic and more adaptable to what is happening at the moment; it isn't so concerned about maintaining some sort of beliefs of who they are and "who they should be most of the time", but instead tries to convey what emotions are suitable to the situation and also taking into consideration the effects of their presence on the emotional selves of everyone else. It is more about tampering around with the appropriate emotional temperature as a catalyst for what they desire, very oriented towards the effect of who they are. Negative interpretations might include: rude, scheming, manipulative, exaggerating, pointing out and separating others, generalizing how others feel and disrespecting those without the same feelings, invasive.