12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default What do the subtypes mean?

What do the subtypes mean? How important are they to the overall type?

Would an IEI-Fe act more extroverted than an IEI-Ni? What makes both of these types different?
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    I'm Fe

From my understanding (I could be wrong), an IEI-Fe would be more "Fe-heavy" and an IEI-Ni would be more "Ni heavy."

Take me and @themightyfetus for example. We are both SEI types, but I'm SEI-Si and she's SEI-Fe. fetus is much more visibly Fe than me, while I'm more passive and reliant on my Si then my Fe. Both types use both Fe and Si of course, but they are both more comfortable with one function over the other.
    26 weeks

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    What do the subtypes mean?
    It's a small distinction; it was the first instance of socionics admitting that people (And by that I mean almost everyone.) simply didn't fit the behavioural patterns set out. The distinction is Process (irrational focus) and Result (rational focus). For example a IEI Ni will have a slight preference for methodology over result, while an IEI Fe will will have a slight preference for finishing/end result. Think of it as the difference between someone using MBTI saying I'm 100% P versus someone saying they're 60% P.

How important are they to the overall type?
    It has become at best gimmicky. Purists consider it a waste of time, the numerologists, the gulenko fanboys, the model b fanatics all have theories that propose significant deviation. It's popularity is more due to its buzzword/jargon nature.

Would an IEI-Fe act more extroverted than an IEI-Ni? What makes both of these types different?
    It would be best to throw out the concept of extroversion/introversion; it has never worked particularly well with socionics. It is both too unspecific, and yet also when applied rains havoc within many socionic concepts. In theory the difference in demeanour would be small with the rational focus being a tiny bit more organised and productive.
    Now, therefore, lead on where you would have us go, and we will follow with right goodwill; you shall not find us fail you in so far as our strength holds out, but no man can do more than in him lies, no matter how willing he may be.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    It's a small distinction; it was the first instance of socionics admitting that people (And by that I mean almost everyone.) simply didn't fit the behavioural patterns set out. The distinction is Process (irrational focus) and Result (rational focus). For example a IEI Ni will have a slight preference for methodology over result, while an IEI Fe will will have a slight preference for finishing/end result. Think of it as the difference between someone using MBTI saying I'm 100% P versus someone saying they're 60% P.

It has become at best gimmicky. Purists consider it a waste of time, the numerologists, the gulenko fanboys, the model b fanatics all have theories that propose significant deviation. It's popularity is more due to its buzzword/jargon nature.

It would be best to throw out the concept of extroversion/introversion; it has never worked particularly well with socionics. It is both too unspecific, and yet also when applied rains havoc within many socionic concepts. In theory the difference in demeanour would be small with the rational focus being a tiny bit more organised and productive.
    I second this. It's a bit like enneagram with wings -- you fluctuate between wings but in the end your core type is the one that holds true.

Even Gulenko doesn't distinguish between subtypes in his cognitive theory, which can be read here: Socionics - the16types.info - Forms of Cognition by Victor Gulenko

Sorry if I'm clogging up the post; I'm on mobile.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

As an See-Fi, I understand I may not immediately recognize self like See-Se, the well dressed, fashionable, charismatic natural politician. I may feel myself more sensitive, introverted, ethical, etc....I think SEE-Fi correlates a great deal with the Kersey ISFP...but the SEE may not immediately see in themselves a dominance in physical presence, an adventurous attitude, a sensuality that is naturally there even if they don't "fit the stereotype"...I actually kind of love that about Socionics...you don't fit the stereotype, but we know how other people see you! You're the Janis Joplin to their Katy Perry though you're both ESFP! That thought alone meets my personal needs.
    Likes strychnine, Punderstorm liked this post

All Natural! All Good!

@Marmotini - Once again, I relate to you all too much. I mistyped myself as ISFP in the MBTI for like 5 years. LOL. It was only after I got into Socionics and looked at subtypes that I realized I didn't have the rigidity of the Fi base types, nor was I quite as flexible with Fi as the SEE-Se.

I also looked at Accepting/Producing and Inert/Contact dichotomies. It was immediately clear that I had Accepting Se and Producing Fi.
    Strychnine is all-natural,
    So strychnine is all good.
    It's Godly and righteous,
    So eat it, you should.
    Who are you to refuse nature's will?

Don't use the multiquote; it was planted by the devil to deceive us.

Social Role: Asscrack/Piece of Shit/Public Defecator/Spiteful Urinator

A different type everyday - so no need to type me anymore. But feel free to enjoy the sound of your own asscrack.
    Likes Thalassa, Punderstorm liked this post

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

While this is an interesting PoV regarding the subtypes, I'm not sure I agree. I don't see how methodology correlates to irratonal functions while end results correlate to rational ones; if anything focus "end result" seems like how appraoches ideas while focus on "methods" is more like . Introverted thinking will look at something and think "this is what the conclusions are, this is what is being said" whereas extroverted thinking will look at it and say something like"this is how they arrived at these conslusions", focused just as much (if not more) on the means than the end. Another reason I disagree is because the words "process/result" refer to a Reinin dichotomy.

But this is getting off-topic which is the subtypes, I feel that if we are talking two subtypes theory, and we take an IEI, which is defined by two functions conservative and creative. The dominant function is a pool of information that I call "conservative" because it has its opinion on this apsect of reality which rarely ever changes. The creative function is constantly modifying its opinion about this aspect of reality, seeing it not as an objective reality, but something to modify and amend as a personal skill. So an IEI can prefer either the concervative process which holds to its values, or the creative process which values change and diversity in this aspect. I think the subtype which prefers the dominant/conservative function appears more infexible, whears the other subtype appears more open-minded. The first conservative subtype is thus a more "classic/stereotypical" model of their type in terms of what they value, an IEI-Ni will value imagination and stick with the fantasies of their childhood till the end(the stereotypical IEI) , whears the creative subtype, while it will have some of that stubborness in their fantasies, is more focused on being unpredicteable in how they interact with people and the social image they give off.

Of course, its not all black and white and some people have no subtype preference, some people have a slight prefernce and others a clear-cut one.
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The subtypes are simply what functions the types prefer in its function stack. They can help distinguish two individuals of the same type even further and can add insight to the functions a person prefers. Producing subtypes place emphasis on all producing functions while resulting subtypes do the opposite. That's why we can have subtypes that could actually be good at their PoLR, because they have emphasis on the same function orientation. The IEI-Fe is going to seem more extroverted and more sensorish because it would place emphasis on Fe,Se,Fi and Si, whereas the IEI-Ni is going to have much less Fe warmth and more Ni-Ti planning.
    IxxP-Conscientious-Slytherin-Leisurely-Idiosyncratic-9w1-4w3-7w6-sp/so-LII-Ne

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
    -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LIE Ni

The first step in disagreeing with me would be to not write out a long and unnecessarily convoluted mimicry of my statement.
    It looks like you took my statements about disagreeing with you personally when they were not meant to be. It also looks like you didn't understand what I wrote, or you wouldn't be saying it is a mimicry or what you wrote, which it wasn't.

Both of your examples are end results. Ti needing to filter into its system, and Te conclusions. Or as you call it flexible/conservative.
    No.

My example was about Te intersted in the process/method, whereas Ti about the end result. Which you appearantly understand, but play dumb like you don't. Also, flexible/conservative isn't the same thing as method/end result, nor do I see how it could be.

Also, it needs to be said : when you use words that are accepted by the socionics community to mean one thing, then use them to mean something else in another context, its not helpful, its confusing. If you feel Reinin is a moron, feel free, but at least take into account the understanding most people have of these terms.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Like others have said, it's like enneagram wing in that it's a 'coloring' of your type. My preference for Ne means I'm a little less staunch in conclusions or convictions in life situations, erring on the side of entertaining multiple thoughts, feelings, possibilities. I've seen other ENFPs bring the hammer down way before I would feel ready to.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.