• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Se ego yet long term thinker?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
working alongside my friend has made me realize that I am a much more long term thinker than he is.

Everything I do seems to have long term results. everything he does is instantaneous. It kinda baffles me. Its like, long term thought to him is painful and difficult but it shows tangible results. Me on the other hand, I will spend 2 months saving money in order to buy an advertisement program. Saving money involves sitting at home not driving my car, talking on the cell phone and playing video games.

This has actually helped me realize why I have difficulty at so many jobs. They always want immediate results and I have none to give. For example, while he is in managing the business, cleaning, and making phone calls for sales, I am pondering the difficulties I'm having with my employees and wondering how I can better fix them so they can do the job more efficiently and have fun doing it. So I spend a lot of time meditating, but also meditating on my anger, and then I'll get into my car and set up an appointment with one of the guys and we'll have a long conversation. I'll do this with 5 other people all at once. In the end, there are no short term results. Are there long term results? I don't even know, but its worth a shot.

So this slow methodical ponderous behavior of mine makes me wonder what my deal is. Does anyone have an insight as to the reason for my long term behavior? I always test as SLE. Are SLE's long term thinkers in this respect? It seems to go against what I understand of Se base.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
hmm I wonder if this is a difference in strategic/tactical dichotomy, or even a combination of carefree + strategic vs farsighted + strategic.

G

garbage

According to the theory, Se-Ego leads one to place an emphasis on short-term, tactical, and immediately tangible thoughts. Any mixture of Reinin dichotomies (which are themselves contentious anyway) won't trump that.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
According to the theory, Se-Ego leads one to place an emphasis on short-term, tactical, and immediately tangible thoughts. Any mixture of Reinin dichotomies (which are themselves contentious anyway) won't trump that.

Hmm. you're an enfj right? can you identify with this guy?

I do strive for tangible things, namely money at the moment. But its like, long term tangible things, and everything up until that point isn't really even considered, just understood. I have to get across an obstacle course, my parietal lobe takes over and my body traverses the obstacles. The end point is in mind, the eyes look at the obstacle temporarily, but when there is an empty field without obstacles, my eye is set on the end goal of running across the field, whereas with this guy he seems to be thinking about ensuring every footstep lands properly, and if I'm not doing the same thing that means I'm not doing anything at all.

Perhaps Se dominance makes me take the details for granted, whereas an ENFJ would get caught up and lost in the short term obstacles as they pertain to the big picture?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
working alongside my friend has made me realize that I am a much more long term thinker than he is.

Everything I do seems to have long term results. everything he does is instantaneous. It kinda baffles me. Its like, long term thought to him is painful and difficult but it shows tangible results. Me on the other hand, I will spend 2 months saving money in order to buy an advertisement program. Saving money involves sitting at home not driving my car, talking on the cell phone and playing video games.

This has actually helped me realize why I have difficulty at so many jobs. They always want immediate results and I have none to give. For example, while he is in managing the business, cleaning, and making phone calls for sales, I am pondering the difficulties I'm having with my employees and wondering how I can better fix them so they can do the job more efficiently and have fun doing it. So I spend a lot of time meditating, but also meditating on my anger, and then I'll get into my car and set up an appointment with one of the guys and we'll have a long conversation. I'll do this with 5 other people all at once. In the end, there are no short term results. Are there long term results? I don't even know, but its worth a shot.

So this slow methodical ponderous behavior of mine makes me wonder what my deal is. Does anyone have an insight as to the reason for my long term behavior? I always test as SLE. Are SLE's long term thinkers in this respect? It seems to go against what I understand of Se base.

You have 7 in your enneatype!

It's Ego - Planning!

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
where does it say e7's are planners?

Wuit??

I can't believe you've never heard of that!? lol

That's why I relate to you so much in your videos! lol You ooooze enneagram 7!! lol

http://www.gratefulness.org/readings/enneagram_7.htm

I read a book called :The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul

Sandra Maitri always talks about the 7's Ego being Planning.

Edit: This describes the passions and virtues.
http://books.google.com/books?id=69...#v=onepage&q=ego planning enneagram 7&f=false

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=14015]Urarienev[/MENTION] [MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]

Actually, I believe 6 is the ultimate planner because they feel they must to prepare fully for all possibilities (to avoid bad things, or try anyway). It's part of the anxiety component. 7's by contrast kind of fly by the seat of their pants. Not that they can't or don't plan, but 6 is definitely more prone to it.

Sunny Ghost

I was going to suggest an enneagram difference or instinct difference. Maybe you have a stronger self preservation instinct than your friend.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually, I believe 6 is the ultimate planner because they feel they must to prepare fully for all possibilities (to avoid bad things, or try anyway). It's part of the anxiety component. 7's by contrast kind of fly by the seat of their pants. Not that they can't or don't plan, but 6 is definitely more prone to it.
This is true to a degree. While I don't plan as in writing out a specific schedule for the week, I try to be mentally prepared and visualize various scenarios of what could possibly happen.

hmm I wonder if this is a difference in strategic/tactical dichotomy, or even a combination of carefree + strategic vs farsighted + strategic.
SLE 8w7 is not very likely to get into planning. EP 8w7s take blows as life deals them, but they have good awareness and flexibility so they can afford this approach. Seeing that you type as ISTP another explanation could be that you're of LSI type. This type is close to SLE but is fundamental in its thinking, thorough and a good planner (historical example of this would be Stalin's 5 year plans).

G

garbage

Hmm. you're an enfj right? can you identify with this guy?
I do strive for tangible things, namely money at the moment. But its like, long term tangible things, and everything up until that point isn't really even considered, just understood. I have to get across an obstacle course, my parietal lobe takes over and my body traverses the obstacles. The end point is in mind, the eyes look at the obstacle temporarily, but when there is an empty field without obstacles, my eye is set on the end goal of running across the field, whereas with this guy he seems to be thinking about ensuring every footstep lands properly, and if I'm not doing the same thing that means I'm not doing anything at all.

Perhaps Se dominance makes me take the details for granted, whereas an ENFJ would get caught up and lost in the short term obstacles as they pertain to the big picture?
I don't identify with that guy at all. I relate more to your account in the OP--e.g. penny pinching to save up for a greater endeavor, investing in people, and so on. Time's a continuum; there's a fluidity between what we do now and what will happen later.

Wikisocion's LIE description, under the Ni-creative function section, says it all pretty well:
Whenever occupied with a task, LIEs are already thinking ahead. Their attention tends to be less focused on their immediate surroundings and the specific details of an activity, than on their longer-term implications, consequences, and usefulness. More present-focused people may see that as laziness: they are not really dedicated to doing something immediately because they are already realizing that it may be pointless in the longer term, so why even do it.
Though that snippet's from the LIE description, the bolded would also apply to any other types with Ni-creative, and probably all Ni-ego types. It's part and parcel to what Ni is.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't identify with that guy at all. I relate more to your account in the OP--e.g. penny pinching to save up for a greater endeavor, investing in people, and so on. Time's a continuum; there's a fluidity between what we do now and what will happen later.

Wikisocion's LIE description, under the Ni-creative function section, says it all pretty well:

Though that snippet's from the LIE description, the bolded would also apply to any other types with Ni-creative, and probably all Ni-ego types. It's part and parcel to what Ni is.

Well if that is what an LIE IS then call me an LIE. But I thought LIE's were clumsy and forgetful of details. I remember everything and I'm a born ninja hence my current ISTP descriptor MASTER OF TOOLS (i'm also taking actual ninjutsu classes, hay!)

Whatever personality has the highest kinesthetic prowess, that's what I am. end of story.

I like the idea that i am the smartest estp on earth. Why not. all the other estbitches here are pussy shits with their fingers up their noses. :harhar:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]
I think you're an ENTP in MBTI. that would explain it (though you are certainly Beta in Socionics. like, too Beta :alttongue: )

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
[MENTION=5578]garbage[/MENTION]

this enfj, its almost as if he has managed to convince himself that he is Se dominant or something, and completely hates his own Ni. he said he is always trying to improve people in a long term way, however he is never around to see the results, so he instead always seeks instantaneous results in order to be happy, as he is never satisfied.

Would that make more sense?

S

Stansmith

[MENTION=10984]Azure Flame[/MENTION]
I think you're an ENTP in MBTI. that would explain it (though you are certainly Beta in Socionics. like, too Beta :alttongue: )

Eh...He seems too tunnel vision-y with his convictions to be a myers-Briggs Ne-Dom..it's almost as if he has a blindspot in regards to naturally perceiving alternatives. Don't mean it as an insult...

His ideas are also epiphanic in nature, as opposed to coming from a grounded framework of possibilities and alternatives.

G

garbage

Well if that is what an LIE IS then call me an LIE. But I thought LIE's were clumsy and forgetful of details.
Never heard that. I know that they don't have the patience for details if they don't see the long-term benefit.

We've gotta pull in someone who knows a thing or two about Socionics for that one.

(The snippet from the description of LIE that I pulled up, though, was more to illustrate what a Ni-ego might be thinking--that is, it's not exclusive to the LIE but also covers ILI, EIE, and IEI.)
[MENTION=5578]garbage[/MENTION]

this enfj, its almost as if he has managed to convince himself that he is Se dominant or something, and completely hates his own Ni. he said he is always trying to improve people in a long term way, however he is never around to see the results, so he instead always seeks instantaneous results in order to be happy, as he is never satisfied.

Would that make more sense?
One wouldn't hate one of his ego functions--or, at least, it's very improbable. 'Cause by definition, they represent a POV that they're comfortable and confident in.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't know, I am typed as SLE (by tests and socionics people) but I don't relate too much to what you describe here. I mean I can meditate or whatnot but I don't do it all day. I am at my best however if I'm focusing on a concrete immediate goal where I can clearly see all the concrete steps, not necessarily right at the start, some of these will be appearing and getting fleshed out more as I move forward with the goal. No I can't call myself a very good long term thinker, though I do very much like to have a direction, a bigger picture of where I am going but that's kind of vague unless I force myself to spend time thinking about it but as I said I'm not doing that sort of meditating often enough.

What if you're EIE lol. Or SLE stuck in superid for some reason, not that I know how that'd make sense.

Lol parietal lobe, lol I like that sort of stuff myself. I do relate to what you described here now, I relate much more to *this* than the meditating whatever you talked about in the first post.

The part about taking details for granted, I dunno, I don't like to get lost in details too much, just whenever I need them. I have a more broad focus by default, like, taking in everything at once. This applies to stuff around me, when I need to think something through that's different. I'm not sure how to explain this well though.

Well if that is what an LIE IS then call me an LIE. But I thought LIE's were clumsy and forgetful of details. I remember everything and I'm a born ninja hence my current ISTP descriptor MASTER OF TOOLS (i'm also taking actual ninjutsu classes, hay!)

Whatever personality has the highest kinesthetic prowess, that's what I am. end of story.

I like the idea that i am the smartest estp on earth. Why not. all the other estbitches here are pussy shits with their fingers up their noses. :harhar:

Naw you aren't the smartest ESTp on earth. You're the pussy shit :p

You are ENTP. Problem solved.

Praytell why?!

Eh...He seems too tunnel vision-y with his convictions to be a myers-Briggs Ne-Dom..it's almost as if he has a blindspot in regards to naturally perceiving alternatives. Don't mean it as an insult...

His ideas are also epiphanic in nature, as opposed to coming from a grounded framework of possibilities and alternatives.

I see him the same way. Yeah. No way this guy is Ne in any system. I'm the same way too so I understand what it's like.

Never heard that. I know that they don't have the patience for details if they don't see the long-term benefit.

Heh that's a bit like the opposite of me, I assume LIE first sees that there'll be a long term result and everything else comes after that. Me, I first see something in front of me, so it's more a detail oriented view. I do relate to the impatience, from a slightly different angle; I'm impatient to get quick results but if I'm somehow shown that I need to expect it long term instead then I will find the needed patience. If that makes sense.

You have 7 in your enneatype!

It's Ego - Planning!

I have a strong 7 too and I still don't relate to the first post as it's put.