• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

An Introduction to Socionics Part 1: The Jungian Dichotomies and IM Elements

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're a ***. Enjoy your [day].

You should add more ad hominems to your argument. That will at least put more words in it.

How you can claim to be Ti-leading with that demonstration of logical critique is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alea_iacta_est

Do you trust in the theory that facial expressions or lack thereof can be telling signs about a person's type? Not the VI utter bullshit.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The loose correlation to the Big Five is in no way a justification of MBTI, a theory that must be proved on its Jungian functions rather than the superficial dichotomies. Even with that argument, Socionics bears the same loose correlation.

No your right it is not a justification? Though what justification has to do with any of this I have no idea. I’m starting to think you haven’t read all that much about MBTI; you seem to keep mixing it up with JCF, which is theoretical and almost entirely unproven. MBTI doesn’t really use Jungian Functions it uses I, E, N, S, T, F, P, J as variables to test statistically which has been done on numerous occasions. The Big Five is basically a derivative of MBTI; it took the parts it thought could be tested and went with it. Socionics does not have the same loose correlation with The Big Five at all.

I wouldn't say that Duality is an extension of the 'Oedipus Complex'. I've never heard of that comparison before and frankly it doesn't fit. At no point does Socionics claim to match young males up with their mothers. One could argue that the idea of duality stems from the Taoist concept of Yin and Yang, the idea that opposites can complement eachother when working together which I think is demonstrably true. Assuming two people with very different skill sets share the shame overall goals and value (Quadra Values), their different abilities contribute to a greater working whole which is the reason for models such as the CPI that put together different people of different roles and capabilities.

No please don’t confuse the mythology with the complex; it’s about the relationship dynamic. I mean the names of the romantic styles say as much; caregiver/infantile (Oedipus), aggressor/victim (Electra). Then once you realise that Se and Si in socionics is tied directly to traditional gender roles it starts to make a lot more sense. Se is equated with masculine and Si with feminine, or at least archaic Russian definitions of them. Honestly had Gulenko released those into the western world, he would have been done for plagiarism.

Socionics has an integral structure that is coherent and definitions that are precisely defined. This means that they can be put up for experimental verification because experiments can be formed to test whether the structure holds in real life, whether, given the definitions of X and Y, the results hold that people who demonstrate X in the way that Y says do Z. This cannot be said of MBTI where the definitions are imprecise and hard to see in day to day behaviour.

No it is arbitrarily defined; precision would require that Socionics have a complete and thorough understanding of the human psyche with a mountain of evidence to back it up. As for the experiment those are just plain terrible; have X, Y, and Z been proven to be real variables? Is X always a dependent variable of Y? On top of that you cannot assume that Z is dependent on X, which is in turn dependent on the assumption of Y that is a hell of a lot of assumptions for a scientific experiment.
Again just to clarify this mix up with MBTI and JCF, MBTI is extremely easy to see in day to day behaviour. JCF is a theoretical concept about how the brain processes information, which you are right, you’re unlikely to be able to clearly distinguish for real world application………. because you know it’s a theory.

What's wrong with the education in the soviet union compared to the majority of community college institutions in the US? If there are Harvard, Yale or MIT graduates here, then I'd say there's a gap to close but otherwise that's just unfounded snobbery. I myself am at an institution of that ilk and I think that with empirical testing Socionics can be verified. Whether it is accepted by the scientific canon is another matter but not one of empirical validity.

Really you think that the tertiary education system jumps from community colleges to Ivy League Universities? Do I actually need to explain the difference? Okay industry application versus conceptual learning.
Again I think you are misusing a term; empirical. Empirical sets a very high standard for evidence, its double blind tests and experiments done in completely controlled environs. Psychology isn’t empirical, because you’re dealing with humans, who are messy contrary creatures how in the world could you set controls on their very psyche? I mean it’s been shown that even the wording of questions can dramatically alter findings. Observation is off the cards for something as complex as this. Which leaves us with the possible use of MRI, EEG, and CAT as potential sources, but even they come with their criticisms.

If this is the case, why are they teaching meditation in psychiatric wards?

Oh dear, (sigh) meditation has been proven to lower stress, blood pressure, and in some cases lower cholesterol. The key word is proven.

Maybe I'm too brainwashed by eastern mysticism, but I see them as different ways of talking about the same thing.

And they would be if socionics was theoretical, but it’s not all the functions are directly tied to attitudes and actions. Therein lies the nib of the matter, socionics really isn’t about cognitive functions as it is observable traits; in that it is similar to Keirsey. the problem with this method is that you end up with all the inherent biases of the observer; an example of this is Se it is associated with all things masculine in Russia, you simply have to look at the SLE descriptions to see why in socionics everyone is a Beta. Which is the problem once you remove all of bias what exactly are you left with, that you can’t get elsewhere?

This is why I love Socionics. The quadra is interesting and seems to have some merit. The emphasis on function stacking also allows for a great deal of variation.

Ah now I get it, your partner is a XSFJ I assume? A new relationship if I was to guess, still a little insecure about it.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No your right it is not a justification? Though what justification has to do with any of this I have no idea. I’m starting to think you haven’t read all that much about MBTI; you seem to keep mixing it up with JCF, which is theoretical and almost entirely unproven. MBTI doesn’t really use Jungian Functions it uses I, E, N, S, T, F, P, J as variables to test statistically which has been done on numerous occasions. The Big Five is basically a derivative of MBTI; it took the parts it thought could be tested and went with it. Socionics does not have the same loose correlation with The Big Five at all.

You mean Keirsey Types? I suppose this is just a matter of semantics but my knowledge of MBTI has always been that it is of Jungian origin and function based but typed by dichotomies.

Still, if you see Keirsey Types and MBTI as the same thing, then rather than update MBTI with Socionics, we should be updating MBTI with Global 5. However, I find this approach doesn't tell us anything of depth to a personality. Socionics doesn't just look at those basic dichotomies but also explains fundamental differences in how we view the world.

No please don’t confuse the mythology with the complex; it’s about the relationship dynamic. I mean the names of the romantic styles say as much; caregiver/infantile (Oedipus), aggressor/victim (Electra). Then once you realise that Se and Si in socionics is tied directly to traditional gender roles it starts to make a lot more sense. Se is equated with masculine and Si with feminine, or at least archaic Russian definitions of them. Honestly had Gulenko released those into the western world, he would have been done for plagiarism.

Isn't the complex derived from the mythology? The young male envies the father and wishes to kill him to have sex with the mother.

The Romantic Styles are observations Gulenko made and are not an essential part of Socionics or intrinsic to Model A. I actually think they're pretty inaccurate as it only gets the Irrational types right. EIEs don't act like Victims for instance. I don't rate his Romantic Styles and don't mention them in my articles although I am a fan of his Communication Styles.

However, I have noticed something similar to Gulenko's Erotic Attitudes... I would say however that Caregiver/Infantile are more about Parent and Child while Aggressor/Victim are more about Man and Woman.

No it is arbitrarily defined; precision would require that Socionics have a complete and thorough understanding of the human psyche with a mountain of evidence to back it up. As for the experiment those are just plain terrible; have X, Y, and Z been proven to be real variables? Is X always a dependent variable of Y? On top of that you cannot assume that Z is dependent on X, which is in turn dependent on the assumption of Y that is a hell of a lot of assumptions for a scientific experiment.
Again just to clarify this mix up with MBTI and JCF, MBTI is extremely easy to see in day to day behaviour. JCF is a theoretical concept about how the brain processes information, which you are right, you’re unlikely to be able to clearly distinguish for real world application………. because you know it’s a theory.

I wouldn't say it's that arbitrarily defined. The dichotomies are essentially building blocks of what makes up a skeleton personality i.e. a focus on what ought to be vs. what you want... preferring to stick to few vs. taking on more... The IM Elements are the eight different kinds of information and I don't see how you could categorise information and create new IM Elements that are different to these or even made up of these. An arbitrary category could be whether people wear blue shoes or not but when it gets as fundamental as this, I don't really see how you can categorise the basics of a personality much differently. The variable are certainly precisely defined however, precisely defined in the sense that if you see X, you know it is X and not Y which is crucial if you want to perform an experiment.

I would certainly say that the above categories are real variables, one can see them in people all the time. However, it might be interesting to look into the regularity of a person's preference for one over the other in day to day behaviour.

They would be dependent variables if you can see that definitionally one has nothing to do with the other. For instance, a physical sensation can be clearly distinguished from an abstract idea.

If A is deduced from B and C, you need not assume A unless B and C are also assumed. If B and C are the case, A is.

I would not say that MBTI/Keirsey Types is easy to see in behaviour. There's nothing fundamental about any of their scales that tells you ,YES! That's an ENTP right there! All you can do is keep a tally of how many Intuitive things they do versus how many Sensory things they do etc. and eventually you add it up to get their type. You certainly cannot explain anything about them other than tendencies towards these four dichotomies.

With Socionics, it's easier because there are things only a certain type would say. Things that make you declare, YES! That's an ILE because only an ILE sees the world and how they fit into it that way. Here's an example:

Stannis Baratheon - "It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son. I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done after the Trident."

Just from the above quote, you know that George R. R. Martin's portrayal of Stannis Baratheon can only be an LSI in Socionics. He could only be a Logical IJ to see the matter as not being about wants but about law-ordained rights. At the same time, he shows an aggression-based idea of how to maintain justice seen with Sensory IJs. It's not about a set of arbitrary behaviours, but a fundamental way in which a character like this views the world. This way of viewing the world just happens to be metabolised into day to day actions.

Really you think that the tertiary education system jumps from community colleges to Ivy League Universities? Do I actually need to explain the difference?

I'm probably just ignorant here. I don't go to University in the US. My bad.

Okay industry application versus conceptual learning.
Again I think you are misusing a term; empirical. Empirical sets a very high standard for evidence, its double blind tests and experiments done in completely controlled environs. Psychology isn’t empirical, because you’re dealing with humans, who are messy contrary creatures how in the world could you set controls on their very psyche? I mean it’s been shown that even the wording of questions can dramatically alter findings. Observation is off the cards for something as complex as this. Which leaves us with the possible use of MRI, EEG, and CAT as potential sources, but even they come with their criticisms.

Many debate whether Psychology is even a science for this reason. After all, a science is often thought to require empirical study. In which case, why are you placing such heavy demands on Socionics?

And they would be if socionics was theoretical, but it’s not all the functions are directly tied to attitudes and actions. Therein lies the nib of the matter, socionics really isn’t about cognitive functions as it is observable traits; in that it is similar to Keirsey. the problem with this method is that you end up with all the inherent biases of the observer; an example of this is Se it is associated with all things masculine in Russia, you simply have to look at the SLE descriptions to see why in socionics everyone is a Beta. Which is the problem once you remove all of bias what exactly are you left with, that you can’t get elsewhere?

I wouldn't say that everyone is Beta. I certainly am not.

I wouldn't say that Se stems from a Russian bias about masculinity. Some of the keywords might make it look that way but really it's to do with the external statics of objects i.e. physical information in our environment. The Se attitude is Extroverted and Irrational so Se types are best at considering the physical information of their environment and doing what can be done to get what they want. In day to day behaviour this may surface as physical aggression, going for big jobs, fancy cars etc. but these are arbitrary. It's the fundamental way of looking at the world as lots of things to be taken and conquered by one's personal resources and strength of will that defines an Se-lead, not masculinity.

Russia might be particularly appreciative of Se because its overall type is supposedly IEI which is Se-suggestive.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI doesn’t really use Jungian Functions it uses I, E, N, S, T, F, P, J as variables to test statistically which has been done on numerous occasions. The Big Five is basically a derivative of MBTI; it took the parts it thought could be tested and went with it. Socionics does not have the same loose correlation with The Big Five at all.

I never heard of Big Five originating from MBTI. Are you sure? Afaik, researchers to find the Big Five just took words from lexicons and did statistical analysis on them.

Empirical sets a very high standard for evidence, its double blind tests and experiments done in completely controlled environs. Psychology isn’t empirical, because you’re dealing with humans, who are messy contrary creatures how in the world could you set controls on their very psyche? I mean it’s been shown that even the wording of questions can dramatically alter findings. Observation is off the cards for something as complex as this. Which leaves us with the possible use of MRI, EEG, and CAT as potential sources, but even they come with their criticisms.

And you honestly believe that there's such a thing as "completely controlled environment"? You're very naive then :)

Psychology is just as empirical as any other science if you choose to use empirical research methods. It's harder to measure things in a proper way, that's the only real difference. (I'm hoping that we will have better tools for that in future, though.) Yes it can also be harder to control the experiment itself because there will be more unknown variables but that's not because it's not science... Otherwise you might as well declare biology as not being science either... have fun doing that... seriously :/

I guess you're right about this one, about how socionics is apparently trying to mix observable traits and cognitive functioning together. Not the best idea. I've thought of this before, that using cognitive MBTI/JCF for cognitive processing and having Enneagram for various kinds of deep motivations covers most things about personality under the "surface" and then Socionics will only have the task of categorizing of concrete personality traits left... not necessarily a bad thing though.

Btw I don't understand what you mean by everyone in socionics being a Beta?? There's 16 types, only 4 types are in Beta quadra.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You mean Keirsey Types? I suppose this is just a matter of semantics but my knowledge of MBTI has always been that it is of Jungian origin and function based but typed by dichotomies.

Official MBTI is not function based. I don't know if it was in the past. Current official site doesn't mention functions (they have something else instead, that's a new development, some sub-factors I think...?)

However, I have noticed something similar to Gulenko's Erotic Attitudes... I would say however that Caregiver/Infantile are more about Parent and Child while Aggressor/Victim are more about Man and Woman.

So what happens when the woman's the aggressor type... complicated theory eh

I wouldn't say it's that arbitrarily defined. The dichotomies are essentially building blocks of what makes up a skeleton personality i.e. a focus on what ought to be vs. what you want... preferring to stick to few vs. taking on more... The IM Elements are the eight different kinds of information and I don't see how you could categorise information and create new IM Elements that are different to these or even made up of these.

Honestly... an ENTP or ILE should be able to create new ones :'( Why don't any of you ENTPs or ILEs try to do so?

An arbitrary category could be whether people wear blue shoes or not but when it gets as fundamental as this, I don't really see how you can categorise the basics of a personality much differently. The variable are certainly precisely defined however, precisely defined in the sense that if you see X, you know it is X and not Y which is crucial if you want to perform an experiment.

I'm having a hard time seeing the Socionics variables as precisely defined in this sense.

I would certainly say that the above categories are real variables, one can see them in people all the time. However, it might be interesting to look into the regularity of a person's preference for one over the other in day to day behaviour.

And you know what, what I see in people all the time is, is that these "variables" get mixed with each other so arbitrarily that it messes up the theory pretty much.

Either that or we're lacking in objective measurement tools. Yeah, that latter thing is for sure.

I would not say that MBTI/Keirsey Types is easy to see in behaviour. There's nothing fundamental about any of their scales that tells you ,YES! That's an ENTP right there! All you can do is keep a tally of how many Intuitive things they do versus how many Sensory things they do etc. and eventually you add it up to get their type. You certainly cannot explain anything about them other than tendencies towards these four dichotomies.

With Socionics, it's easier because there are things only a certain type would say. Things that make you declare, YES! That's an ILE because only an ILE sees the world and how they fit into it that way. Here's an example

Stannis Baratheon? Eh, I thought it was Enneagram. :p

Anyway, I don't think official Socionics was ever supposed to declare that X thing can be done/said only by Y type. Can you show me an official source that claims this?? I thought only hobbyists were claiming such clearly incorrect things.

He could only be a Logical IJ to see the matter as not being about wants but about law-ordained rights. At the same time, he shows an aggression-based idea of how to maintain justice seen with Sensory IJs. It's not about a set of arbitrary behaviours, but a fundamental way in which a character like this views the world. This way of viewing the world just happens to be metabolised into day to day actions.

Or Enneagram, huh. But sure, can work as a LSI stereotype as well.

Question, how was Robespierre LII type over LSI? All those executions, seems aggressive to me. I'm not just mocking, I'm honestly curious how the hell that got to be LII type...?

I wouldn't say that Se stems from a Russian bias about masculinity. Some of the keywords might make it look that way but really it's to do with the external statics of objects i.e. physical information in our environment. The Se attitude is Extroverted and Irrational so Se types are best at considering the physical information of their environment and doing what can be done to get what they want. In day to day behaviour this may surface as physical aggression, going for big jobs, fancy cars etc. but these are arbitrary. It's the fundamental way of looking at the world as lots of things to be taken and conquered by one's personal resources and strength of will that defines an Se-lead, not masculinity.

I'm OK as far as the Se definition here without the day to day behaviour examples. The latter is apparently often explained by other things.

Russia might be particularly appreciative of Se because its overall type is supposedly IEI which is Se-suggestive.

Lol when I saw that ex-socionist called Rick whatever, typing countries, it kind of reduced his credibility. Some of that credibility did come back when I saw him posting about the issues with Socionics after becoming an ex-socionics. Yeah. Ridiculous idea really, assigning a type to a whole country. :)

Also, Augusta, the founder of Socionics was ILE so pretty much against Se and Socionics does get this criticism a lot that Se is depicted in such a negative light.

Contradicting stuff here, I guess it's all really subjective eh.

I do agree with the original post saying there's bias in the theory, though. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's bias in official theory or bias in hobbyists' interpretations of it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Really you think that the tertiary education system jumps from community colleges to Ivy League Universities? Do I actually need to explain the difference? Okay industry application versus conceptual learning.

Oh dear, (sigh) meditation has been proven to lower stress, blood pressure, and in some cases lower cholesterol. The key word is proven.

Everyone isn't a beta. I don't associate myself with really any of the things described as "Se" by socionics at all, and there are a lot of women who would associate themselves with those things and who I would associate with those things. At any rate, it sounds like your biases are creeping in.

Ah now I get it, your partner is a XSFJ I assume? A new relationship if I was to guess, still a little insecure about it.

Well, it isn't serious yet, but probably. Anyway, it also plays true in terms of friendships I've had, as well. In addition, my parent's relationship is another part of it. They are very different for being introverts, being composed of an SJ and an NF, and yet they've somehow stayed together in the face of things that would have been the end of a lot of other couples.

Anyway, I would be willing to listen to your perspective if you offered anything of merit, but all you are doing is imposing distinctions and differences where they don't need to exist. I can't really see any point you are making other than that.

One question though... are you interested in this stuff for personal development and understanding or merely ego enhancement?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Official MBTI is not function based. I don't know if it was in the past. Current official site doesn't mention functions (they have something else instead, that's a new development, some sub-factors I think...?)

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/understanding-mbti-type-dynamics/the-eight-function-attitudes.asp

This looks pretty function based to me. I don't like the definitions but it's still proof that they use functions.

So what happens when the woman's the aggressor type... complicated theory eh

A manly woman, I guess. In truth, I don't rate this theoretical add-on very highly.

I will say that the most traditionally 'masculine' types are SLE and LSE while the most traditionally 'feminine' types are EII and IEI. It is often the case that female SLEs and LSEs can come across as rather 'manly'.

Honestly... an ENTP or ILE should be able to create new ones :'( Why don't any of you ENTPs or ILEs try to do so?

Mostly because I find these ones more interesting and I don't think the one's I might create are going to be less arbitrary.

I have been creating my own add-ons to the theory though. I refined and expanded on Gulenko's work on Temperament and I am working on improving his Communication Styles (strongest Rational IM Element) while creating my own Movement Styles (strongest Irrational IM Element). I'd be a Firm Communicator (4D Te) and a Clumsy Mover (4D Ne).

I'm having a hard time seeing the Socionics variables as precisely defined in this sense.

And you know what, what I see in people all the time is, is that these "variables" get mixed with each other so arbitrarily that it messes up the theory pretty much.[/QUOTE]

I've found that these variables become quite distinct when you understand their definitions and how they surface in day to day behaviour.

Stannis Baratheon? Eh, I thought it was Enneagram. :p

Enneagram? You mean he's a 1? Probably. 1s are almost always going to be the IJ temperament.

Anyway, I don't think official Socionics was ever supposed to declare that X thing can be done/said only by Y type. Can you show me an official source that claims this?? I thought only hobbyists were claiming such clearly incorrect things.

No official source claims that. I should be more clear:

Of course you have to apply some context. Anyone can say the words he said because anyone can read them off the page. Anyone can recite these words having had them recited. However, only Ti-types can view the world through Ti in such a way that their primary reason for action is based on it being ordained by rules, ordination and logic at the absence of wants and desires. Only one type can say what Stannis said as an accurate communication of their world view. We know this because Ti is defined this way and the Leading function is defined in such a way as to dictate the person's worldview

Question, how was Robespierre LII type over LSI? All those executions, seems aggressive to me. I'm not just mocking, I'm honestly curious how the hell that got to be LII type...?

Good question. I don't know. A lot of the Russian attempts at typing non-Russian people and characters were a little questionable in my opinion. I don't think Don Quixote is a reasonable example of an ILE either, just a schizophrenic.

Lol when I saw that ex-socionist called Rick whatever, typing countries, it kind of reduced his credibility. Some of that credibility did come back when I saw him posting about the issues with Socionics after becoming an ex-socionics. Yeah. Ridiculous idea really, assigning a type to a whole country. :)

Well, if you go back to what I said about each type having an inherent world view, if the values of a country strongly coincide with the world view of a particular type, you can give a general type to that country. It doesn't mean the country metabolises information like a person, rather the dominant memes and traditions floating around that country were probably made by people of a certain type and this has effected how people in the country are expected to behave as well as how it is perceived to behave by others. Do you ever feel like your personal worldview conflicts with the worldview of your country?

It is debatable whether this actually has practical merit (a theory of inter-country relations) or whether Rick was just engaging in intellectual masturbation. I might ask him ;)

It was when Gulenko started typing furniture that I thought he had gone way too far with this thing. At least a country is made up of people.

Also, Augusta, the founder of Socionics was ILE so pretty much against Se and Socionics does get this criticism a lot that Se is depicted in such a negative light.

I do agree with the original post saying there's bias in the theory, though. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's bias in official theory or bias in hobbyists' interpretations of it.

If there is bias, it should be fixable. It probably isn't a good thing that the theory has been created by a vast majority of ILEs.

It is questionable as to whether Se is depicted in a negative light or that the values of the west are anti-Se.

One could compare Beta values (including Se) to Homeric values and Delta values (anti-Se) to Judaeo-Christian values. After all, I think Se used to be the most important and valued function in the ancient world. The 'hero' was essentially Se idealised.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you trust in the theory that facial expressions or lack thereof can be telling signs about a person's type? Not the VI utter bullshit.

I trust in the theory but not the methods attempted so far, including my own. It makes sense to say that what one shows on their face can be suggestive of a person's information metabolism although I'd like to research into it more. I do think that if someone is emotionally animated then they are probably not an ILI. Some of it is quite useful in that reading body language can tell you the amount of difficulty a person is having in using certain IM Elements when talking. If someone starts off unemotional but lightens up to another person's emotional input, they may be LxI. Someone who from their body language seems to be charismatically controlling a conversation towards a certain message could be an Fe lead. So yes, facial expressions are one of many ways in which we can collect data about a person and interpret what their likely type is but none of it is definite as of yet. What they say to convey their viewpoints is often more indicative.

Visual Identification is an area lots of people have jumped at and come to terrible errors, as well as severely alienating Socionics from the world of psychology because www.socionics.com is so misrepresentatively named. I would say that there are certainly patterns that suggest a correlation (not causation) between certain facial/bodily features and type but it will require a lot of work to come to something you could type someone off of.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey [MENTION=5759]edchidna1000[/MENTION] I was going to continue to probe your mind but I find myself honestly exhausted by all of this. Firstly I must say you are far and away the most reasonable and through socionist I’ve ever met, so ill clear up a few points then leave it at that. :)

• MBTI really does only pay lip service to JCF; if someone prefers kinaesthetic style activities then S, emotive rather than analytical F, organised J. Most of the in depth reading is considered JCF.
  • the end result of the complex is that you are supposed to be socially conditioned to be attracted to someone like your opposite parent, and Gulenko’s relationship dynamics have always creeped me out due to the similarity.
  • My use of the word arbitrary has to do with the fact that at some point someone decided that this was Ne, Se, and so on. Tying it to actions, which given the time it was developed was always going to be the case.
  • I don’t hold socionics to a higher stand, my umbrage was with the use of empirical which has extremely high standards; had you merely said experiments I wouldn’t have knit picked.
  • The Beta comment was a joke about how guys read that horrid Beskova portrait of male SLE and immediately start acting like jackasses. While IEI often use the socionics portraits to dismiss people on MBTI sites……. despite as far as I am aware socionics has always assumed a relatively equal population of all types; which would mean they should be welcoming people in with open arms.

Now I admit I was pushing your buttons to see whether you where one of those self-righteous and superior socionists, come to belittle and demean those who reject duality. They always seem a little unhinged, but you seem to reject the more idiotic facets of socionics, which leads to the question what parts do you hold true? You mention writing articles; perhaps you could link me to them?

I never heard of Big Five originating from MBTI. Are you sure? Afaik, researchers to find the Big Five just took words from lexicons and did statistical analysis on them.

hmmm I take it back I thought I had read an article about how one of the founders had been involved with MBTI before creating The Big Five; but I can’t seem to find.

And you honestly believe that there's such a thing as "completely controlled environment"? You're very naive then :)

:laugh: No, but that’s why retesting is so important.

Psychology is just as empirical as any other science if you choose to use empirical research methods. It's harder to measure things in a proper way, that's the only real difference. (I'm hoping that we will have better tools for that in future, though.) Yes it can also be harder to control the experiment itself because there will be more unknown variables but that's not because it's not science... Otherwise you might as well declare biology as not being science either... have fun doing that... seriously :/

I probably should have clarified that, I cannot think of a way to empirically test a personality as a whole. I also hope that we will have tools in the future to do this.

I guess you're right about this one, about how socionics is apparently trying to mix observable traits and cognitive functioning together. Not the best idea. I've thought of this before, that using cognitive MBTI/JCF for cognitive processing and having Enneagram for various kinds of deep motivations covers most things about personality under the "surface" and then Socionics will only have the task of categorizing of concrete personality traits left... not necessarily a bad thing though.

That is my mind set as well, though I’m always hopeful that my preconceptions will be overturned.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anyway, I would be willing to listen to your perspective if you offered anything of merit, but all you are doing is imposing distinctions and differences where they don't need to exist. I can't really see any point you are making other than that.

The reason you don’t see any points as it is becoming increasingly obvious to me; has to do with the fact you haven’t read in to socionics. At best scratched the surface; perhaps more time spent reading and less time critiquing is in order? Ignorance does make monkeys of men.

One question though... are you interested in this stuff for personal development and understanding or merely ego enhancement?

As for the loaded question; I left my ego after the fall, it no doubt sits waiting in the sands of time. No I’m here for hope; I found so much knowledge and self-awareness from JCF and Enneagram. I want to give socionics a chance, but to deny and ignore the glaring issues I see would be the worst kind of intellectual dishonesty.

Please don’t bother to respond I’m sure you have a thousand and one witty repartees; but as I am devoid of any merit it would be a complete waste of time, which you could no doubt spend reading. :bye:

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey [MENTION=5759]edchidna1000[/MENTION] I was going to continue to probe your mind but I find myself honestly exhausted by all of this. Firstly I must say you are far and away the most reasonable and through socionist I’ve ever met, so ill clear up a few points then leave it at that. :)

• MBTI really does only pay lip service to JCF; if someone prefers kinaesthetic style activities then S, emotive rather than analytical F, organised J. Most of the in depth reading is considered JCF.
  • the end result of the complex is that you are supposed to be socially conditioned to be attracted to someone like your opposite parent, and Gulenko’s relationship dynamics have always creeped me out due to the similarity.
  • My use of the word arbitrary has to do with the fact that at some point someone decided that this was Ne, Se, and so on. Tying it to actions, which given the time it was developed was always going to be the case.
  • I don’t hold socionics to a higher stand, my umbrage was with the use of empirical which has extremely high standards; had you merely said experiments I wouldn’t have knit picked.
  • The Beta comment was a joke about how guys read that horrid Beskova portrait of male SLE and immediately start acting like jackasses. While IEI often use the socionics portraits to dismiss people on MBTI sites……. despite as far as I am aware socionics has always assumed a relatively equal population of all types; which would mean they should be welcoming people in with open arms.

Thankyou, [MENTION=10550]Dr Mobius[/MENTION]

Maybe I just confused 'in-depth reading' with 'the real stuff you actually have to know if you want to understand things on the superficial level'.

Hmmm... I wouldn't put it past Gulenko. Some of his stuff has been a really valuable contribution to socionics but other attempts have either been interesting but ungrounded or plain wacky. Either way, neither my mother nor my father are anything like an SEI :)

Ah, you mean people saying that Se was aggression, Ne novelty etc.? I tried to get away from those as definitions. I now think the best way to understand the essence of an IM Element is in the dichotomies that make it up. Extroverted Intuition would be Extroverted (expanding over a broad range of things), Static (deals with snapshots of discrete entities), Irrational (made up of perceptions, taking in how things are) and Internal (information sourced from introspection/interpretive). When you put these together, you get Extroverted Intuition.... i.e. 'lots of possible states in which things could be' and from there the pursuit of possibilities that the Extroverted Intuition user most enjoys/finds interesting, all the while trying to keep the other possibilities open.

Beskova's portraits aren't the best. I appreciate her attempt to distinguish observational differences in males and females but I think she was 1. limited to people about 30 years ago in Eastern Europe and 2. limited by her own IEE way of looking at things. I don't appreciate her primitive attempts to talk about physical features, although sometimes she gets them spot on with certain people of those types.

A socionics evaluation of Pod'lair would say that the movement is very IEI. IEIs tend to approach logical tasks with a slightly compensatory Ti and terrible Te... making dodgy rules and logical assertions with absolutely no factual basis, all the while subtly promoting Beta values such as 'us vs them' mentalities.

Really, every system has its nuts and the same sort of crazy people who found themselves in MBTI found themselves also in Socionics. If you take a sunday trip down to 16types.info you can see some of these crazy people, prowling the forum, hunting down and feeding on fresh meat. Just don't put your hands through the bars.

Now I admit I was pushing your buttons to see whether you where one of those self-righteous and superior socionists, come to belittle and demean those who reject duality. They always seem a little unhinged, but you seem to reject the more idiotic facets of socionics, which leads to the question what parts do you hold true? You mention writing articles; perhaps you could link me to them?

There is a strong sentiment among Socionists that MBTI people have a nasty anti-Sensor bias. It's probably a reaction to that.

I wonder if we know the same unhinged people... I've had arguments in the past with some of them over the theory. One sincerely believed she could type people based on what colours they most enjoyed.

I've written three articles so far. The first is this thread's OP. The other two are on this subforum a little bit further down. They're all begun with 'An Introduction To Socionics'.

Here we are:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...duction-socionics-part-2-functions-model.html
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nics-part-3-quadras-inter-type-relations.html

What I have written is what I believe in, the rest I do not believe due to a lack of evidence or logical following from what I already believe. I would say that these beliefs stem not from assumptions about people but assumptions about information itself. Information can be classified into eight kinds and ordered in such a way that 16 possible structures come about and these 16 structures are instantiated in the 7 billion people on this planet.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Last edited:
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You believe in pseudoscience. Your belief goes far beyond the evidence and you will justify it at all costs in order to protect your ego.

Are you and [MENTION=16476]badger055[/MENTION] the same person? You show the same inability to tackle my actual responses but continue with dogmatic assertions about my character.

It's comparable to this example:

A: "You're a fire-breathing dragon!!!"

B: "Actually, I'm not. As you can see I have none of the features of a dragon. I don't have scaly skin. I am clearly a bipedal mammal and genetic tests show I am clearly human. I'm not even carnivorous."

A: "You scaly monster! You fly around and eat people!"

B: "Umm... no"

If I believe in pseudoscience, what exactly do you believe in, having been a member of a typology forum for nearly half a year?

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/understanding-mbti-type-dynamics/the-eight-function-attitudes.asp

This looks pretty function based to me. I don't like the definitions but it's still proof that they use functions.

Ah, right, sorry, I didn't know they still have that on the site.

Well I read somewhere that they were phasing out the functions, introducing new sub factors instead. Probably because of how studies didn't manage to confirm 4-letter dichotomy correlating with the functions too well.

A manly woman, I guess. In truth, I don't rate this theoretical add-on very highly.
I will say that the most traditionally 'masculine' types are SLE and LSE while the most traditionally 'feminine' types are EII and IEI. It is often the case that female SLEs and LSEs can come across as rather 'manly'.

Heh, my point was about how it's mentioned in this theory that female aggressors are different... okay and why? Explanation outside Socionics, I guess.

LSI, SLI, not as masculine?

Mostly because I find these ones more interesting and I don't think the one's I might create are going to be less arbitrary.

I have been creating my own add-ons to the theory though. I refined and expanded on Gulenko's work on Temperament and I am working on improving his Communication Styles (strongest Rational IM Element) while creating my own Movement Styles (strongest Irrational IM Element). I'd be a Firm Communicator (4D Te) and a Clumsy Mover (4D Ne).

What's this Movement Styles thing exactly?

And you know what, what I see in people all the time is, is that these "variables" get mixed with each other so arbitrarily that it messes up the theory pretty much.

I've found that these variables become quite distinct when you understand their definitions and how they surface in day to day behaviour.

No. It's nothing to do with understanding "the definitions" or not.

Enneagram? You mean he's a 1? Probably. 1s are almost always going to be the IJ temperament.

And why would that be?

No official source claims that. I should be more clear:

Of course you have to apply some context. Anyone can say the words he said because anyone can read them off the page. Anyone can recite these words having had them recited. However, only Ti-types can view the world through Ti in such a way that their primary reason for action is based on it being ordained by rules, ordination and logic at the absence of wants and desires. Only one type can say what Stannis said as an accurate communication of their world view. We know this because Ti is defined this way and the Leading function is defined in such a way as to dictate the person's worldview

Thing is how do you know Stannis doesn't have wants and desires over rules and logic in other situations? (Using your original example)

You don't know...

I often find in real life that these things are not fixed for people like that. You could say I should only expect such consistency from the leading function but I still see a problem there.

Good question. I don't know. A lot of the Russian attempts at typing non-Russian people and characters were a little questionable in my opinion. I don't think Don Quixote is a reasonable example of an ILE either, just a schizophrenic.

Lol yeah

Well, if you go back to what I said about each type having an inherent world view, if the values of a country strongly coincide with the world view of a particular type, you can give a general type to that country. It doesn't mean the country metabolises information like a person, rather the dominant memes and traditions floating around that country were probably made by people of a certain type and this has effected how people in the country are expected to behave as well as how it is perceived to behave by others. Do you ever feel like your personal worldview conflicts with the worldview of your country?

It is debatable whether this actually has practical merit (a theory of inter-country relations) or whether Rick was just engaging in intellectual masturbation. I might ask him ;)

It was when Gulenko started typing furniture that I thought he had gone way too far with this thing. At least a country is made up of people.

God, typing furniture? o_O

I recall some other socionist couple ended up only caring about two types (out of the 16). (See http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Meged_and_Ovcharov)

Yeah, this whole theory is dangerous if you masturbate about it too much. :p

Anyway about typing countries, I don't care about this idea of a country having one specific worldview, so no, I don't feel a conflict with my country in this sense. And sure, there may be traditions but it's not just one group of traditions available, and I'm sure many other countries also have more diversity in tradition lines. I'm sure there's exceptions to this but I'm not really good at using such categories in general so don't ask me which ones...

If there is bias, it should be fixable. It probably isn't a good thing that the theory has been created by a vast majority of ILEs.

It is questionable as to whether Se is depicted in a negative light or that the values of the west are anti-Se.

One could compare Beta values (including Se) to Homeric values and Delta values (anti-Se) to Judaeo-Christian values. After all, I think Se used to be the most important and valued function in the ancient world. The 'hero' was essentially Se idealised.

As I said it's all subjective :))

How would you sum up the values of the west that are anti-Se? In a more specific fashion than just saying "Judeo-Christian" values

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I trust in the theory but not the methods attempted so far, including my own. It makes sense to say that what one shows on their face can be suggestive of a person's information metabolism although I'd like to research into it more. I do think that if someone is emotionally animated then they are probably not an ILI. Some of it is quite useful in that reading body language can tell you the amount of difficulty a person is having in using certain IM Elements when talking. If someone starts off unemotional but lightens up to another person's emotional input, they may be LxI. Someone who from their body language seems to be charismatically controlling a conversation towards a certain message could be an Fe lead. So yes, facial expressions are one of many ways in which we can collect data about a person and interpret what their likely type is but none of it is definite as of yet. What they say to convey their viewpoints is often more indicative.

Visual Identification is an area lots of people have jumped at and come to terrible errors, as well as severely alienating Socionics from the world of psychology because www.socionics.com is so misrepresentatively named. I would say that there are certainly patterns that suggest a correlation (not causation) between certain facial/bodily features and type but it will require a lot of work to come to something you could type someone off of.

I like how you say it's not definitive. :) I find the idea that VI determines type total BS, but sure, maybe there's some weak correlations.

A question; if you saw someone who's emotionally animated in a given situation while you know that person's type to be ILI, would you have an explanation for that? If you feel like it, do make this a thought experiment and let me know what explanation it would have. :)

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Beta comment was a joke about how guys read that horrid Beskova portrait of male SLE and immediately start acting like jackasses. While IEI often use the socionics portraits to dismiss people on MBTI sites……. despite as far as I am aware socionics has always assumed a relatively equal population of all types; which would mean they should be welcoming people in with open arms.

Those guys must be enneagram image types :p

Yes some socionists assumed this relatively equal distribution of all types (is this what you meant?) but that was based on some really theoretical logic. I saw some study where they picked some people and counted the types. I don't know how representative that sample was but it was far from equal distribution of types.

:laugh: No, but that’s why retesting is so important.

Yeah it is :)

I probably should have clarified that, I cannot think of a way to empirically test a personality as a whole. I also hope that we will have tools in the future to do this.

Too much agreeing here :D

That is my mind set as well, though I’m always hopeful that my preconceptions will be overturned.

Can you elaborate on the 2nd part of your sentence?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The reason you don’t see any points as it is becoming increasingly obvious to me; has to do with the fact you haven’t read in to socionics. At best scratched the surface; perhaps more time spent reading and less time critiquing is in order? Ignorance does make monkeys of men.

I haven't read about socionics? Tell me, if you have read so much, do you know what your super-ego functions in socionics are?

Also, I agree that VI is stupid.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, right, sorry, I didn't know they still have that on the site.

Well I read somewhere that they were phasing out the functions, introducing new sub factors instead. Probably because of how studies didn't manage to confirm 4-letter dichotomy correlating with the functions too well.

Not too surprised. The cognitive functions are pretty vague and hard to see in people.

Heh, my point was about how it's mentioned in this theory that female aggressors are different... okay and why? Explanation outside Socionics, I guess.

LSI, SLI, not as masculine?

If it says that, it'll probably be using gender norms to explain the differences. But yes, I don't take the Romance Styles very seriously.

LSI and SLI are pretty masculine but a lot more restrained and less boisterous. Less proactive about taking charge.

What's this Movement Styles thing exactly?

It's my own addition that I'm still working on. It assumed that Se and Si play a role in your physical movements. People with high Se being physically confident with powerful movements while people with high Si would be physically controlled, making precise, graceful movements. As a result, the opposite would show in Intuitors... those with very weak Se (high Ni) moving delicately i.e. small, frail and self-protective movements and those with very weak Si (high Ne) would move clumsily, lacking control but making bigger movements nonetheless.

No. It's nothing to do with understanding "the definitions" or not.

Well, it is if the matter is confusing two things that might appear similarly. You'd be able to apply the qualifiers to distinguish whether it is one thing or the other or know when to suspend judgement between the two until more evidence comes to provide context.

And why would that be?

If you look at the article above, the Stable-Normalising temperament (IJ) is one that focuses on personal values/principles etc. and sticks to those rules with a perfectionist quality. If something can't be done perfectly, it often isn't done at all.

Thing is how do you know Stannis doesn't have wants and desires over rules and logic in other situations? (Using your original example)

You don't know...

I often find in real life that these things are not fixed for people like that. You could say I should only expect such consistency from the leading function but I still see a problem there.

He could be lying, but it would be unlikely without a reason for why he would be lying. It's very much consistent to the personality he shows in the books.

I don't know about consistency but the leading function is meant to be set as the source of a person's worldview. As an Ne lead, the basis of all my values and the vast majority of my decisions are those that allow me to do more interesting things with few restrictions and obstacles.

I recall some other socionist couple ended up only caring about two types (out of the 16). (See http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Meged_and_Ovcharov)

Yes, apparently only ILEs and EIEs can be famous...

How would you sum up the values of the west that are anti-Se? In a more specific fashion than just saying "Judeo-Christian" values

Jesus and then Gandhi, eastern ideas of Ahimsa and other similar memes changed the way we think about resistance. Physical force has been suppressed in western society with the forming of the United Nations. Instead of expansionist wars and conquering of rival nations, countries have to seek arbitration and compromise. Conquering anything by force is no longer seen as valuable but is rather disapproved of. Instead, non-violent resistance is seen as the key to making change. At the same time, western condemnation of Hitler and the Third Reich further vilified Se while also turning people against Fe. Now, not only is violence seen as bad, but being part of public opinion is frowned upon. Peer pressure and sheep-culture are concepts often thrown around nowadays and there is a strong tendency for moral lessons learned in children's TV shows that are of an Fi Ne persuasion.

Just imagine how different the world was back in the ancient world, where things were Beta. Moral worth was tied up with physical superiority and strong leadership. It was the cult of personality that was the 'hero'. Now when we look at Superman, we see the 'hero' fundamentally altered with Delta, Judaeo-Christian morality. At the same time, those who have been oppressed are now looked on with moral warmth. To suffer at the hands of another seems to elevate a person.

Nietzsche talks about this (albeit not through Socionics) in his Genealogy of Morals. He says that the Slave morality has overcome the Noble morality through guilt trips :D

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

People can start by reading my articles ;)