• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

An Introduction to Socionics Part 1: The Jungian Dichotomies and IM Elements

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A question; if you saw someone who's emotionally animated in a given situation while you know that person's type to be ILI, would you have an explanation for that? If you feel like it, do make this a thought experiment and let me know what explanation it would have. :)

I've seen ILIs being emotionally animated before. One does need to apply context to these situations... To act in the spirit of Fe is to express emotions that are not necessarily sincere so that you can contribute to a group mood. This is what I would be very surprised to see an ILI doing. However, if someone has just managed to excite an ILI (SEEs often can), you can see the emotionality coming out. It's not too common but it happens. The feeling will always be genuine too as they have no Fe to amp things up more than they are.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not too surprised. The cognitive functions are pretty vague and hard to see in people.

In the studies they were given operational definitions so vagueness was not an issue. The problem was, operational definitions didn't behave as neat and didn't show correlations as neat as it would be expected by fans of function and type dynamics theory.

Also, your way of talking about functions does not sound vague at all. It's all operational definitions, you seem to be equating functions with concrete traits. Those things are absolutely not hard to see in people. The advantage is that if you are willing to let go of your assumptions then such a concrete tangible approach will easily show you where the theory doesn't work out so well. So I am wondering, how come you haven't seen that, or have you, but you have explanations for all of it?

If it says that, it'll probably be using gender norms to explain the differences. But yes, I don't take the Romance Styles very seriously.

And then the question is, how does socionics functions and gender norms work together. E.g.; where does a socionics function end and where does the gender norm start?

It's my own addition that I'm still working on. It assumed that Se and Si play a role in your physical movements. People with high Se being physically confident with powerful movements while people with high Si would be physically controlled, making precise, graceful movements. As a result, the opposite would show in Intuitors... those with very weak Se (high Ni) moving delicately i.e. small, frail and self-protective movements and those with very weak Si (high Ne) would move clumsily, lacking control but making bigger movements nonetheless.

Interesting, it would be even more interesting if you did your own study about whether this assumption is actually that correct. :)

Also, how about creative function, I assume your addition is more about leading function showing?

Well, it is if the matter is confusing two things that might appear similarly. You'd be able to apply the qualifiers to distinguish whether it is one thing or the other or know when to suspend judgement between the two until more evidence comes to provide context.

You know, the way these things tend to turn out, I usually end up suspending judgement, meaning that it doesn't seem a very usable theory...

If you look at the article above, the Stable-Normalising temperament (IJ) is one that focuses on personal values/principles etc. and sticks to those rules with a perfectionist quality. If something can't be done perfectly, it often isn't done at all.

Yes, I know that, my question was about however what deeper reason there would be for enneagram 1 overlap with IJ temperament. Enneagram after all is not about cognitive functions, so how come there would be this overlap? Have you ever thought about this?

He could be lying, but it would be unlikely without a reason for why he would be lying. It's very much consistent to the personality he shows in the books.

I didn't imply he was lying. I implied the personality may be more variable than assumed.

I don't know about consistency but the leading function is meant to be set as the source of a person's worldview. As an Ne lead, the basis of all my values and the vast majority of my decisions are those that allow me to do more interesting things with few restrictions and obstacles.

Well glad you have such a consistent worldview that most of your stuff can be categorized under one single approach. I'm not quite sure that everyone is this consistent.

Jesus and then Gandhi, eastern ideas of Ahimsa and other similar memes changed the way we think about resistance. Physical force has been suppressed in western society with the forming of the United Nations. Instead of expansionist wars and conquering of rival nations, countries have to seek arbitration and compromise. Conquering anything by force is no longer seen as valuable but is rather disapproved of. Instead, non-violent resistance is seen as the key to making change. At the same time, western condemnation of Hitler and the Third Reich further vilified Se while also turning people against Fe. Now, not only is violence seen as bad, but being part of public opinion is frowned upon. Peer pressure and sheep-culture are concepts often thrown around nowadays and there is a strong tendency for moral lessons learned in children's TV shows that are of an Fi Ne persuasion.

Just imagine how different the world was back in the ancient world, where things were Beta. Moral worth was tied up with physical superiority and strong leadership. It was the cult of personality that was the 'hero'. Now when we look at Superman, we see the 'hero' fundamentally altered with Delta, Judaeo-Christian morality. At the same time, those who have been oppressed are now looked on with moral warmth. To suffer at the hands of another seems to elevate a person.

Nietzsche talks about this (albeit not through Socionics) in his Genealogy of Morals. He says that the Slave morality has overcome the Noble morality through guilt trips :D

Alright but why is physical force always related to Se? Not only that, but why is Se also always being equated with physical force here? (That is, if something's Se, then it's physical force as well) Before answering this - somewhat rhetorical question - see below what I really mean by it.

The world is indeed heading in a direction where having knowledge/information/intelligence will achieve more than willingness to enter physical fights. Calling this anti-Se is another thing entirely though. This isn't an explanation for anything at all. Reducing Se (as a cognitive function) to the concrete trait of violence does simplify the theory to the extent that it shows that it doesn't actually explain anything, what's left is just a descriptive approach.

I've seen ILIs being emotionally animated before. One does need to apply context to these situations... To act in the spirit of Fe is to express emotions that are not necessarily sincere so that you can contribute to a group mood. This is what I would be very surprised to see an ILI doing. However, if someone has just managed to excite an ILI (SEEs often can), you can see the emotionality coming out. It's not too common but it happens. The feeling will always be genuine too as they have no Fe to amp things up more than they are.

Yes of course almost anyone should be able to be emotionally animated at times. Now, if the feeling is always genuine, then it isn't really Fe, is it? Then why equate Fe with emotional animation? If you decide not to equate Fe with it but make the definition depend on the source of the emotionality (genuine expression of own feelings or just adjusting group atmosphere), then how do you determine just by looking if it's genuine for the person or not? Dangerous grounds again.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those guys must be enneagram image types :p

Ah a jab at my enneagram, you have cut me to the quick! From the man without MBTI or enneagram………. quid pro quo Clarice.

Yes some socionists assumed this relatively equal distribution of all types (is this what you meant?) but that was based on some really theoretical logic. I saw some study where they picked some people and counted the types. I don't know how representative that sample was but it was far from equal distribution of types.

Yes, we have probably seen the same statistics, but the sample sizes where tiny, I think it was a business lecturer testing his class, which came out extremely lopsided. Then again if you need statistics to validate your existence then some deep set introspection is probably in order.

Can you elaborate on the 2nd part of your sentence?

That has to do with the fact I don’t speak a lick of Russian; so bad translations, mistranslations and untranslated works could potentially change my outlook. Also not a lot of scientific development from Russia seems to make its way out to the western world; I believe the last piece I read was about Russian scientists eating mammoth steaks. :shrug:

I haven't read about socionics? Tell me, if you have read so much, do you know what your super-ego functions in socionics are?

Also, I agree that VI is stupid.

Either you are telling me that I am projecting my neuroses of dealing with socionics physical data, and expecting edchidna1000 to pick up the slack for me, or you think that I am attracted to edchidna1000 and am freaking out due to the fact he hasn’t stated how he feels about me, or you still haven’t read my explanation of the Beta joke. I am guessing the latter but if in case you are referring to the former I don’t have a problem with the observational nature of socionics, but rather the mechanisms and reasoning behind them. This is where the outdated concepts and eastern philosophies come into play. If the parameters of observation are held in suspect and do not address all the significant variables; (age, gender, cultural, socioeconomic, and so on.) that are necessary to tie cognitive functions to real world actions; then the observations will likely end up with unknown and uncontrolled biases. So by examining the concepts, attitudes, and environs that led to the observations I gain a measure of what those biases are.

The assumption of a lack of knowledge has to do with your immediate reduction to a personal level. There are several problems with this; one everything I say will be measured against a personal standard, and two it reduces a theory mixed with extensive observations to a battle of personal experience; where understanding is moot. Consider these rhetorical questions; does your personal experience of relationship dynamics somehow invalidate those numerous and successful out of quadra relationships? Does that by extension give you the right to demand conformity to a broad rigid dynamic; given the increasingly complicated and evolving nature of human relationships?

The thread has moved on so this will be my last post in this thread. I probably should have had a more measured approach to this thread. I have always been bad at gauging such things; always too much or not enough. Goodbye :bye:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ah a jab at my enneagram, you have cut me to the quick! From the man without MBTI or enneagram………. quid pro quo Clarice.

Yes, we have probably seen the same statistics, but the sample sizes where tiny, I think it was a business lecturer testing his class, which came out extremely lopsided. Then again if you need statistics to validate your existence then some deep set introspection is probably in order.

That has to do with the fact I don’t speak a lick of Russian; so bad translations, mistranslations and untranslated works could potentially change my outlook. Also not a lot of scientific development from Russia seems to make its way out to the western world; I believe the last piece I read was about Russian scientists eating mammoth steaks. :shrug:

Either you are telling me that I am projecting my neuroses of dealing with socionics physical data, and expecting edchidna1000 to pick up the slack for me, or you think that I am attracted to edchidna1000 and am freaking out due to the fact he hasn’t stated how he feels about me, or you still haven’t read my explanation of the Beta joke. I am guessing the latter but if in case you are referring to the former I don’t have a problem with the observational nature of socionics, but rather the mechanisms and reasoning behind them. This is where the outdated concepts and eastern philosophies come into play. If the parameters of observation are held in suspect and do not address all the significant variables; (age, gender, cultural, socioeconomic, and so on.) that are necessary to tie cognitive functions to real world actions; then the observations will likely end up with unknown and uncontrolled biases. So by examining the concepts, attitudes, and environs that led to the observations I gain a measure of what those biases are.

Fine, but I'm responding solely to you accusing me of not having actually read anything. Which I have demonstrated to be bullshit, especially because you have evidently not done as much reading as I have. (I notice you didn't answer my question... a simple question about functional stacking in Socionics. One would think that if you read the material claimed, you would know the answer.)
The assumption of a lack of knowledge has to do with your immediate reduction to a personal level.

If you were attacking me reasoning, then why weren't you attacking my reasoning? Instead you just accused me of not reading anything about it. I guess you shot yourself in the foot.

There are several problems with this; one everything I say will be measured against a personal standard

Thus being like the majority of conversations ever? Not sure I see the problem here.

, and two it reduces a theory mixed with extensive observations to a battle of personal experience; where understanding is moot.

Your goal does not seem to be to understand, actually. I guess we would have to start on what we both think about personality typology, and then work from the common ground to a discussion of differences. I suppose the first thing to ask is whether or not you believe that everyone has all 4 functions, and if there is an unconscious shadow personality.

Consider these rhetorical questions; does your personal experience of relationship dynamics somehow invalidate those numerous and successful out of quadra relationships?

I wouldn't know... people tend to think personality typology in general is not worth studying. I very much doubt there is a study I could cite, so I would have to rely on what I've noticed.

Does that by extension give you the right to demand conformity to a broad rigid dynamic; given the increasingly complicated and evolving nature of human relationships?

Yes. AMERICA.

The thread has moved on so this will be my last post in this thread. I probably should have had a more measured approach to this thread. I have always been bad at gauging such things; always too much or not enough. Goodbye :bye:

Five bucks says that this is wrong and that you'll respond to me. If not, I get the last word and therefore win to the casual observer.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Honestly, I didn't notice what your enneagram was :D

If you want to know my MBTI (or socionics type), check out my type thread and let me know what you think it is... :)

Enneagram I'll put in my profile, one sec.

Lol @ second sentence.

OK, I see. :) Yeah, it doesn't help that we don't see the original sources much.

I'm bad at it too :p But don't quit just because of that! :p

Five bucks says that this is wrong and that you'll respond to me. If not, I get the last word and therefore win to the casual observer.

No. Just because you get the last word, to me you don't necessarily look like you're the one who's won it. :p

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. Just because you get the last word, to me you don't necessarily look like you're the one who's won it. :p

Maybe not to you or me, but to a lot of people. Consider perceptions of who "wins" a Presidential debate.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe not to you or me, but to a lot of people. Consider perceptions of who "wins" a Presidential debate.

Meh... I guess your provocation didn't work on him anyway. :p

Also... back to original topic?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the studies they were given operational definitions so vagueness was not an issue. The problem was, operational definitions didn't behave as neat and didn't show correlations as neat as it would be expected by fans of function and type dynamics theory.

Also, your way of talking about functions does not sound vague at all. It's all operational definitions, you seem to be equating functions with concrete traits. Those things are absolutely not hard to see in people. The advantage is that if you are willing to let go of your assumptions then such a concrete tangible approach will easily show you where the theory doesn't work out so well. So I am wondering, how come you haven't seen that, or have you, but you have explanations for all of it?

It's not supposed to be down to specific behaviours. The specific behaviours are very much based on context and other variables that would need to be checked. Instead, it's a question of seeing the person's attitude behind the behaviours... why they are doing X etc. This is what gives you an insight into the IM element and this is something which you can see in people without being confused by the variation in the concrete behaviours. In the same way, different chimpanzees in different communities develop their own ways of doing things depending on the environment (some spear fish, some knock nuts against rocks), they are still the same species however.

And then the question is, how does socionics functions and gender norms work together. E.g.; where does a socionics function end and where does the gender norm start?

It depends on how we see gender norms... Wearing a dress is part of a gender norm but has nothing to do with Socionics. Being competitive and using aggressive tactics to get something of desire is very much Se but also associated with male gender norms. I think the reason why Se is associated with masculinity is due to the requirements of hunter gatherers to be Sensoric with an expansive mindset in the tough world before civilisation properly developed. I think one can see Se as necessary to the system without thinking of gender norms however.

Interesting, it would be even more interesting if you did your own study about whether this assumption is actually that correct. :)

Yes, I plan to set up some experiments when I'm doing my PhD.

Also, how about creative function, I assume your addition is more about leading function showing?
Leading function AND Demonstrative function. Communication and Movement styles look at the two strongest functions, not necessarily the most valued.

You know, the way these things tend to turn out, I usually end up suspending judgement, meaning that it doesn't seem a very usable theory...

That's the reasonable position to take until you are accustomed to seeing the distinctions after interpreting the motivations from everyday behaviour. Socionics is hard to use and easy to misuse until you really know what you're doing.

Yes, I know that, my question was about however what deeper reason there would be for enneagram 1 overlap with IJ temperament. Enneagram after all is not about cognitive functions, so how come there would be this overlap? Have you ever thought about this?

The two are separate systems of different origin, however it shows that both systems saw a certain pronounced quality of certain people that was not present in others, using it as a method of distinction. It suggests that the quality really exists and isn't just fabricated and projected.

I didn't imply he was lying. I implied the personality may be more variable than assumed.
It isn't so variable that his motivations aren't distinctly Ti-driven. He's a very solid character in this respect.

Well glad you have such a consistent worldview that most of your stuff can be categorized under one single approach. I'm not quite sure that everyone is this consistent.

With the people I know, it is. For instance, everything my EIE friend does with purpose is to affect the way people around him feel. Everything my LSE father does with purpose is to make something or someone function more productively.

Alright but why is physical force always related to Se? Not only that, but why is Se also always being equated with physical force here? (That is, if something's Se, then it's physical force as well) Before answering this - somewhat rhetorical question - see below what I really mean by it.

The world is indeed heading in a direction where having knowledge/information/intelligence will achieve more than willingness to enter physical fights. Calling this anti-Se is another thing entirely though. This isn't an explanation for anything at all. Reducing Se (as a cognitive function) to the concrete trait of violence does simplify the theory to the extent that it shows that it doesn't actually explain anything, what's left is just a descriptive approach.

Se really isn't synonymous with violence unless you have a very broad definition of violence. The information itself is simply External Statics of Objects i.e. the things that are physically there. The metabolising of that information amounts to navigating and exploiting your physical space.

Yes of course almost anyone should be able to be emotionally animated at times. Now, if the feeling is always genuine, then it isn't really Fe, is it? Then why equate Fe with emotional animation? If you decide not to equate Fe with it but make the definition depend on the source of the emotionality (genuine expression of own feelings or just adjusting group atmosphere), then how do you determine just by looking if it's genuine for the person or not? Dangerous grounds again.

Well, it's still Fe. It's just Fe that's so weak that there's no control of it and so unvalued that it only comes about accidentally. So it's not a case of determining whether it is Fe or not. It is. Instead it's a question of determining the strength and valuing of that Fe, so that we can work out what function the IM element is playing in that person's psyche. Is the person passively reacting to someone's joke? Is the person talking persuasively and affecting someone else's emotional state? Is the person reacting poorly with the general emotional atmosphere? These are the questions we ask after seeing Fe.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Socionics is far more elaborate and makes more sense than MBTI in its more defined parts. MBTI is a tad more open ended and is not held down by any properly grounded psychological research in the present.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not supposed to be down to specific behaviours. The specific behaviours are very much based on context and other variables that would need to be checked. Instead, it's a question of seeing the person's attitude behind the behaviours... why they are doing X etc. This is what gives you an insight into the IM element and this is something which you can see in people without being confused by the variation in the concrete behaviours. In the same way, different chimpanzees in different communities develop their own ways of doing things depending on the environment (some spear fish, some knock nuts against rocks), they are still the same species however.

Okay. I just see it all the time, tying functions down to specific shit.

It depends on how we see gender norms... Wearing a dress is part of a gender norm but has nothing to do with Socionics. Being competitive and using aggressive tactics to get something of desire is very much Se but also associated with male gender norms. I think the reason why Se is associated with masculinity is due to the requirements of hunter gatherers to be Sensoric with an expansive mindset in the tough world before civilisation properly developed. I think one can see Se as necessary to the system without thinking of gender norms however.

What about a male EII?

Yes, I plan to set up some experiments when I'm doing my PhD.

Cool. :)

Leading function AND Demonstrative function. Communication and Movement styles look at the two strongest functions, not necessarily the most valued.

Ahh, okay.

So e.g. an ESI would have Si style movements?

The two are separate systems of different origin, however it shows that both systems saw a certain pronounced quality of certain people that was not present in others, using it as a method of distinction. It suggests that the quality really exists and isn't just fabricated and projected.

Yes it's good for validation of concepts in that sense. My problem is more with offering different explanations apparently for the same thing. What do you think about that?

It isn't so variable that his motivations aren't distinctly Ti-driven. He's a very solid character in this respect.

He's a character in a film series so of course it's just a black and white one. I am talking about real life characters.

With the people I know, it is. For instance, everything my EIE friend does with purpose is to affect the way people around him feel. Everything my LSE father does with purpose is to make something or someone function more productively.

Alright, I'll be curious to see if you can find my default leading motivation/purpose. :) (In your other thread)

Se really isn't synonymous with violence unless you have a very broad definition of violence. The information itself is simply External Statics of Objects i.e. the things that are physically there. The metabolising of that information amounts to navigating and exploiting your physical space.

This is perfectly okay, but your original history related explanation seemed more one-sided about Se and about just replacing some words with other symbols (replacing the word "violence" with the symbol "Se") instead of digging deeper to find real explanations. Perhaps only because it was summed up in only a few lines but it really came off that way. This is the sort of stuff I take issue with both in MBTI and Socionics.

Well, it's still Fe. It's just Fe that's so weak that there's no control of it and so unvalued that it only comes about accidentally. So it's not a case of determining whether it is Fe or not. It is. Instead it's a question of determining the strength and valuing of that Fe, so that we can work out what function the IM element is playing in that person's psyche. Is the person passively reacting to someone's joke? Is the person talking persuasively and affecting someone else's emotional state? Is the person reacting poorly with the general emotional atmosphere? These are the questions we ask after seeing Fe.

Hmm okay, that's reasonable :) I do still have some more general issues as explained above.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about a male EII?

That's why there's often a priestly caste. ;)

So e.g. an ESI would have Si style movements?

Yes, Controlled movement.

Yes it's good for validation of concepts in that sense. My problem is more with offering different explanations apparently for the same thing. What do you think about that?

Well that does lead to the issue of which explanation is correct. I think Socionics gives a better demonstration of why things are the way they are than the strange leaps that Enneagram takes from a basic fear to the behaviour of a person.

He's a character in a film series so of course it's just a black and white one. I am talking about real life characters.

Vladimir Putin: "You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place."

Alright, I'll be curious to see if you can find my default leading motivation/purpose. :) (In your other thread)

Funnily enough, that was the one thing I couldn't determine... It's Extroverted and Irrational though, either Ne or Se.

This is perfectly okay, but your original history related explanation seemed more one-sided about Se and about just replacing some words with other symbols (replacing the word "violence" with the symbol "Se") instead of digging deeper to find real explanations. Perhaps only because it was summed up in only a few lines but it really came off that way. This is the sort of stuff I take issue with both in MBTI and Socionics.

Yes, it's hard to give an example of Se like that that sums up its entire meaning rather than a particular approach.

valaki

MBTI Type
SeNi
Enneagram
8+7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's why there's often a priestly caste. ;)

Ehh :p

Yes, Controlled movement.

Ahh ok. Trying to understand your theory a bit more, what's the difference between confident (Se) and controlled (Si) movement?

Vladimir Putin: "You must obey the law, always, not only when they grab you by your special place."

Did you see him beyond public appearances? Of course I'm not debating that someone quite like e.g. stereotypical LSI can exist. What I'm debating is if this is that common.

Funnily enough, that was the one thing I couldn't determine... It's Extroverted and Irrational though, either Ne or Se.

Ahahaha! :p

Btw thanks and I replied to it now, I don't know if it helps you decide lol. I'll be curious to see though!

Yes, it's hard to give an example of Se like that that sums up its entire meaning rather than a particular approach.

True, that. I did also take issue with using socionics symbols in place of words in that description of history of western memes, though. Oh well this leads far and I need to go right now. :/