• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Socionics - Do you recognize your dual when you encounter them?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The duality relationship in Socionics is probably the most talked about and supposedly the strongest one.

"Meeting a dual, interacting with your dual, positive self-realization in a relationship knowing your dual (dualization), duality is the relationship of complete mutual complement…" (Read more here)

Do you feel that instant pull, that supposed connection when you meet someone who is your dual and what is it like? How do you know for sure? What is the dual connection about for you?

List of Duals, for those needing the reference. Keep in mind that your MBTI does not necessarily translate and feel free to check out the quadra threads and the identification thread for this, if need be.

LSE (ESTj) — EII (INFj)
LIE (ENTj) — ESI (ISFj)
ESE (ESFj) — LII (INTj)
EIE (ENFj) — LSI (ISTj)
SLE (ESTp) — IEI (INFp)
SEE (ESFp) — ILI (INTp)
ILE (ENTp) — SEI (ISFp)
IEE (ENFp) — SLI (ISTp)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes by either the warped, obsessive fascination or searing white hatred and disgust that fills my soul.

Maybe I can change my type to ENTj instead.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No. I'm not really sure how to spot an ESFJ, to be honest. I know as an INTP (Socionics INTj) I'm supposed to complain about them all the time (but secretly they're supposed to be exactly what I need), but I'm not really sure if I've interacted with them very much, except for maybe some teachers I may have had in grade school.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Keep in mind that your MBTI does not necessarily translate...

Rubbish.

Yes by either the warped, obsessive fascination or searing white hatred and disgust that fills my soul.

This.

Just as our relationship with our own personal shadow can be negative (rejection/suppression) or positive (aspirational), so can be our relationship with our shadow type (i.e., dual). The trickiest part is really that third manifestation: subconscious compulsiveness. What Marm describes here first ("warped obsessive fascination") is some kind of combination of the aspirational and subconscious compulsive. What she describes second ("white hatred and disgust that fills my soul") is the rejection/suppression manifestation.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im IEI, Zara, and ENFP in MBTI.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Im IEI, Zara, and ENFP in MBTI.

You're identifying with Socionics descriptions of IEIs more than IEEs (for whatever reasons [not saying they're bad ones]).

Your Ni and Fe functions may be well-developed, but your dominant and auxiliary cognitive functions are Ne and Fi.

This doesn't change just because you move from one system to the next.

The two systems are talking about the same underlying reality.

Each system's lens just distorts that underlying reality differently.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're identifying with Socionics descriptions of IEIs more than IEEs (for whatever reasons [not saying they're bad ones]).

Your Ni and Fe functions may be well-developed, but your dominant and auxiliary cognitive functions are Ne and Fi.

This doesn't change just because you move from one system to the next.

The two systems are talking about the same underlying reality.

They just distort that underlying reality differently.

Im Beta, not Delta. All NF descriptions resonate with me but IEI is the closest match. NeFi , the way it is described in socionics is something I can do, but does not come natural to me. And Ive read the function descriptions, they are not exact matches. Regardless of your or my opinion though, this is isnt what this thread is about. Feel free to make a new one, or attempt convincing me on my wall.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Im Beta, not Delta. All NF descriptions resonate with me but IEI is the closest match. NeFi , the way it is described in socionics is something I can do, but does not come natural to me. And Ive read the function descriptions, they are not exact matches. Regardless of your or my opinion though, this is isnt what this thread is about. Feel free to make a new one, or attempt convincing me on my wall.

The Quadras are messy, screwed-up abstractions.

They try to combine two groups that have some similarities, but often have very opposite qualities as well.

(This actually relates to the thread, which is why I am still putting it here.)

Quadras contain each type's dual, and, like I said about the personal shadow and shadow types: the relationship is complicated.

Too complicated, in fact, to make a worthwhile abstraction (i.e., the quadras) without adding false details to individual types within the groupings.

For example:

4. Delta Quadra

Si and Te:
Types from the Delta Quadra value pragmatism, hard work, beautifully functional items, and earthy humor and enjoy "productive" relationships where people do projects together. They are usually emotionally subdued and like to discuss topics seriously with the intention of implementing their conclusions.

Ne and Fi:
Types of this quadra enjoy discussing people, internal motivation, and self-development. They believe in peaceful self-government without coercion and in the inherent potential of each human being for personal fulfillment.

Subdued elements:
The Delta Quadra doesn't appreciate high ideals or abstractions that don't relate well to real life. They also don't like large institutions or power systems that do not take into consideration the interests of separate individuals.

Typical Delta quadra group behavior:
Discussion of interesting facts about people and places. Enjoy group outdoor activities. "Live and let live" attitude. Engage only in "productive" activities and discussions. Prefer smaller groups. Emotionally subdued; generally serious, but with periodic funny moments.

Take the STJ elements (underlined) out of this, and keep only the NFP ones (bolded), and it sounds a hell of a lot like you.

Where the quadras go wrong is in assuming that because STJs have tertiary and inferior Ne and Fi and NFPs have tertiary and inferior Si and Te that they experience those functions in a similar-enough way that they can be meaningfully grouped together into the concepts known as the quadras.

In reality, STJs more often reject/suppress the NFP qualities, and the NFPs more often reject/suppress the STJ qualities.

As such, grouping them conceptually like Socionics tries to do is fundamentally and seriously flawed.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Did I not just say to make your own thread?

In this thread, I'm asking for personal experiences and anecdotes concerning duals and how that is experienced. Not to be told whether or not I'm typed properly.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
In this thread, I'm asking for personal experiences and anecdotes concerning duals and how that is experienced. Not to be told whether or not I'm typed properly.

I'm not the one who brought up your type...

:whistling:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not the one who brought up your type...

:whistling:

No, you're the one who found it necessary to barge in and tell me my OP was rubbish. I indulged you by making a counter argument though, and you re right, I shouldn't have. If you cannot resist the urge to answer here again, I'll take it to your VM.

/end of discussion.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
My Op, my rules. Play by them or make your own OP. :coffee:

Hey, I'm not trying to derail your thread.

I made a substantive contribution to the question posed by the OP, with theoretical backdrop included.

But if we're talking about duals and Socionics and what not, the accuracy of the quadra idea should be up for discussion.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
No, you're the one who found it necessary to barge in and tell me my OP was rubbish.

I didn't say your OP was rubbish.

I said one (minor, nonessential, but still fundamentally important) claim within it was.

:truthy:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
K, lets try this again: Thread Relaunch:

The duality relationship in Socionics is probably the most talked about and supposedly the strongest one.

"Meeting a dual, interacting with your dual, positive self-realization in a relationship knowing your dual (dualization), duality is the relationship of complete mutual complement…" (Read more here)

Do you feel that instant pull, that supposed connection when you meet someone who is your dual and what is it like? How do you know for sure? What is the dual connection about for you?

List of Duals, for those needing the reference. Keep in mind that your MBTI does not necessarily translate and feel free to check out the quadra threads and the identification thread for this, if need be.

LSE (ESTj) — EII (INFj)
LIE (ENTj) — ESI (ISFj)
ESE (ESFj) — LII (INTj)
EIE (ENFj) — LSI (ISTj)
SLE (ESTp) — IEI (INFp)
SEE (ESFp) — ILI (INTp)
ILE (ENTp) — SEI (ISFp)
IEE (ENFp) — SLI (ISTp)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ESE is supposedly my dual and yet alot of them grate on me. I'm still skeptical of duality in socionics. I could be mistyping myself or the other person. Also even duals have conflicts at times.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
ESE is supposedly my dual and yet alot of them grate on me.

That is normal.

I'm still skeptical of duality in socionics.

Well, duality exists.

It just... isn't (always) what the Socionists make it out to be.

In cases of two extremely mature and developed individuals of their respective types, then it could be magical.

If, you know, they're attracted to each other.

And all the other stuff lines up as well.

I could be mistyping myself or the other person.

Maybe, but probably not.

Your observations aren't out of line with reality.

Also even duals have conflicts at times.

Duals have conflicts a lot of the time.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to ignore socionics types (because EII aka FiNe sounds like e9 & Delta is too "earthy") and just go with the Jungian types....

Yes, I easily spot ESTJs, although it's less love/hate than despise intensely or develop a gentle fondness for over time.
I was good buddies with an ESTJ girl in childhood, but that bond in no way rivaled the ENFP best friend I had, who was more like a kindred spirit.

Okay, for the sake of the game, I'll tell you my reaction to ESTPs (since IEI sounds more like me, being 4ish). I tend to get along swimmingly with them until it all falls to pieces because they have no morals (!) or dismiss them as meatheads rather apathetically. They almost never make my blood boil like some ESTJs can.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like my "love/hate" type is the ESFp more than the ESFj, even though I'm 90% sure I'm an INTj. I relate to that description more, and the functional stack is the same.