12311 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Socionics is BAD

It's easy to castigate something as "bad" based on one aspect, even a minor one. With Socionics, it is the "typing by face" aspect. Typing by face is an unproven method of typology. But it isn't specific to Socionics, and in fact I've known some Enneagrammists to base e-type on facial features.

Socionics has done something right, however; and that is, to change the nomenclature by which types are named. INTP in Socionics theory is INTj. This is the way things are going anyway, even in MBTI circles. The J is nothing more than to place dominance on Thinking. Every dominant F/T type gets a j, and every dominant S/N type gets pegged with a p.

This effectively eliminates all descriptive content from the labels P and J which traditionally mean perceiving and judging as well as a slew of other things. For some, Se has even been limited to merely "looking." Such confusion has arisen from this function talk that even an intellectual such as Carl Jung is considered by some - an ISTP, as if he were some motorcycle mechanic or something.

So the way things are going, the Socionics labeling system may as well be adopted. At least we can see from its nomenclature that a Ti is not only a thinker and an introvert, but is also judging in accordance with those thoughts, as according to the idea of what is logical and what is not logical.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

The trend for face typing came later in Socionics, from what I understand. It's funny that it's associated with it so much. It had nothing to do with it's creator, and not even the majority of her adherents/students. I think one practitioner (Filatova) had conducted some testing with a wide variety of people, and took corresponding photos, just for record keeping. After the fact, she had noticed some trends with expressions (not actual facial features). She left it at that. Others picked up on her comments and took it to what you see now.. "visual identification". I agree though, it's bogus.
    Likes Daydreaming Swan liked this post

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Where are you getting your sources on this matter? Sure some socionics sites list types having physical differences, but that notion can be abandon entirely and is done so by many others who seriously practice socionics. I mean once you ignore the whole 'type by face' thing, socionics actually exceeds other typing systems; it actually strives to account how certain types of people interact with each other, which JCF/MBTI and Enneagram fail do accomplish.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Where are you getting your sources on this matter? Sure some socionics sites list types having physical differences, but that notion can be abandon entirely and is done so by many others who seriously practice socionics. I mean once you ignore the whole 'type by face' thing, socionics actually exceeds other typing systems; it actually strives to account how certain types of people interact with each other, which JCF/MBTI and Enneagram fail do accomplish.
    I'm not saying Socionics is bad.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    I'm not saying Socionics is bad.
    Oh my bad

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Oh my bad
    Yes. You spoke out in favor of Socionics on this forum of all places. What next - Kiersey?

I can't be saying that Socionics is bad if I favor adopting its j/p nomenclature. Socionics face-typology, in case you haven't noticed, is strictly limited to Caucasian faces. So it is limited to race. The first time I heard of this method involved the Enneagram a couple decades ago. And it wasn't limited to any race.

garbage

Yeah. Baby, bathwater, etc.

While I'll never understand those who advocate Socionics so much and who don't particularly bother with validating the broader theory before they go off and define "subtypes" with insane logical rigor (rant!), its definition of sensing (but not of intuition) and its major dichotomies (but not the Reinin deals) seem to be a lot more useful than MBTI's.

In my opinion, Socionics is good because there I know my type. hah..more sure at least. Here, SiTe is practically alien. All because of associating Si with tradition and "memories". The only way to approximate Jung's Pi dominant types in some cases is an IXXP in MBTI. Not an IJ. I could give the reasoning, but... I've said this too many times as it is.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I just don't understand the differences in mbi functions vs socionics ones. I always get as INFp but don't get why I'm Ni/Fe when I dont relate to those functions based on the definitions I know them by. also I think the descriptions are all poorly translated Russian which doesn't help matters. and yeah the photo typing is stupid, especially since the drawings are all based on Russian faces. although I do look a little similar to the IEI drawing.. but I'm also of eastern European ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I just don't understand the differences in mbi functions vs socionics ones. I always get as INFp but don't get why I'm Ni/Fe when I dont relate to those functions based on the definitions I know them by. also I think the descriptions are all poorly translated Russian which doesn't help matters. and yeah the photo typing is stupid, especially since the drawings are all based on Russian faces. although I do look a little similar to the IEI drawing.. but I'm also of eastern European ancestry.
    Fe is another function botched by MBTI.. it always seems to be associated with "groupthink" or status quo morality.

In Socionics, Fe is accomodating, but it's more about visible intensity, expressiveness, effusiveness, and in some cases, theatrics.