• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI vs. Socionics: Which one is better?

Idontcare

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Which one do you guys prefer? I personally like socionics over MBTI. i feel that the descriptions used are way more accurate also than the ones you will find on an mbti website. I also like the fact that they also talk about the problems your type is likely to have. That is something I havent seen on many MBTI websites.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
socionics fail even at type functions -> its crap

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like MBTI much better

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Both have their merits, on a MBTI based forum however you will hear a lot of angst against Socionics, naturally the opposite happens on Socionics forums.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I far prefer MBTI. It explains me better. I can see why some may prefer Socionics though - I think it comes down to the system that resonates better with you. I will say that I like how MBTI stays truer to Jung's descriptions of the types, as far as functions go. Socionics sort of puts its own spin on them, which is fine, but far less accurate for me.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like socionics better. But I can relate to both systems in ways.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I like cognitive function theory. I don't think much of the specific branches known as MBTI or socionics.

G

garbage

"Delta NF" explains me better than "INFJ or ENFP." Fi and Ne fit me well under Socionics, as does a huge abhorrence for what's considered to be Se under that system.

I shift from Socionics to MBTI and back again when I try to "make sense" of other people.

In my experience, and from my perspective, certain Socionics stuff such as the hidden agenda (a minor facet) and type relationships (a major facet) are bollocks.

MBTI has its own bollocks, though, but they don't seem as consequential to the system as a whole.

KDude

I don't know what my socionics type is exactly. I like Alpha quadra, but I don't identify with any types there (including ISFp). Go figure. I'll just stick with MBTI.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like socionics for the spin it puts on relationships. It explains well in terms of the functions how you interact with others and why someone is or isn't compatible with you. Socionics also talks about quadras. People in your quadra value similar functions and tend to be easier to get along with. Socionics seems to go more in depth with MBTI regading types. There are various subtype theories floating around in socionics, something I haven't seen with MBTI. Socionics puts more emphasis on visual identification of someone's type. I have mixed feelings about VI, I don't think it should solely be used as a typing method but I do think that certain types are more inclined to give certain facial expressions or body movements, which can be a clue.

Both theories use functions and explain the role of each one in the personality structure. Their approaches are different, not sure which one I like better, but I will say I fit INTP nicely in MBTI and INTj/LII in socionics.

MBTI on the other hand is far more widely known as a theory. It's far easier to find people to discuss MBTI than socionics. MBTI is more accessible and easier to grasp. Alot of socionics is in Russian and when its translated to English, the translation is often poor. It's harder to find good, reliable socionics tests.

I'm also active on the socionics forum, the16types.info/vbulletin I enjoy the forum and the discussions the arise there. But since there's not a whole lot of literature out there (at least the stuff that's translated in English), there's alot more speculation and conjecture. Alot of the stuff I read on that forum is quite abstract and hard to grasp without any good, specific examples. There isn't even always a good general consensus on what some of the basic terms even really mean, which adds to the confusion.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't understand Socionics.

And I wish someone would provide a key to unlocking it's mysteries.

I read "Socionics Demystified" by Spencer Stern.

--Still mystified. :shrug:

Socionics reminds me of Hyper-Calvinism: You either get it or you don't. Making it accessible to ordinary people would only dilute it's purity. :rolli: ;)

Little_Sticks

"Delta NF" explains me better than "INFJ or ENFP." Fi and Ne fit me well under Socionics, as does a huge abhorrence for what's considered to be Se under that system.

Yeah, I like the Se descriptions better. It explains what I abhor about Se as well.

In my experience, and from my perspective, certain Socionics stuff such as the hidden agenda (a minor facet) and type relationships (a major facet) are bollocks.

That's pretty much true. Looking for the hidden agenda doesn't really matter, but it should be there for the individual. Assuming the theory holds, then when someone is typed correctly, the hidden agenda function is supposed to be an uncontrollable and strong influence that can't really be ignored, but not really aware of, unless seen how they compare to everyone else's function, I think. I have an Si hidden agenda. It manifests as being somewhat sensitive to my environment, in that I have a hard time tuning out noise and movement and get more easily over-stressed and preferring a comfortable setting to work in, almost as a necessity to be productive.

I'm not really sure how they gauge the type relationships. It seems like sometimes they are there, and sometimes they are not. It might require that the two types being considered have to have had some kind of long history together and be somewhat close for it to have its theoretical relevance. This is assuming though that neither type has preemptively systematic understanding of the other to manipulate or make the relationship more easy-going and comfortable.

G

garbage

I read "Socionics Demystified" by Spencer Stern.

--Still mystified. :shrug:

This is not a good book :( he describes everything from his perspective (especially apparent in intertype relations) and uses MBTI definitions of functions (apparent with Si and others)

Did you read his interactions with IEE? He described how befuddled they were with him and how he could dominate them :rolli:

Good books? Dunno. In English, wikisocion.org is probably the best bet.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good books? Dunno. In English, wikisocion.org is probably the best bet.

Understanding the People Around You: An Introduction to Socionics (Filatova) is good for beginners but is missing the nuances that more advanced users of socionics look for. It is overall, far better than Socionics Demystified.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmm... I did the socionics test, and liked how it was built, but the socionics description of me seemed to pull some of the stuff from thin air, and when I read it assume how my body looks like I left.

KDude

Yeah, I like the Se descriptions better. It explains what I abhor about Se as well.

Yeah... On the other hand, one should not project it on to MBTI. Many ISFPs and ISTPs are Si in socionics.. And many Socionics SLEs aren't even ESTPs. They're a mix of MBTI types. In MBTI, a lot of types who impose their wills on to people and don't know what effect their having on others are Te. In Socionics, that behavior is Se. This chart goes to show how confusing it is.. even INTJs could be Socionics SLE.

table3.gif

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Socionics seems inconsistent, and there is just alot of unnecessary bs in the system as well. Not a fan.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think for analyzing other people: ie you can't read their thoughts... Then oh keirsey is legitamite. At least his system fully admits and predicates on outward actions.

Mbti, functions and socion rely on analyzing motives and thoughts so much hat they are only useful for self analysis. I like functional analysis within a traditional mbti
framework for self analysis.

For self improvement I think he most useful has been seein enneagram as the bad side of urself to overcome, and then te mbti type is the actual self to actualize.... Works for me!