User Tag List

12 Last

Default What's the deal with Socionics?

I've read a lot of very general negative comments about this system here but I'm not familiar enough with personality systems to have formed an opinion. Could someone please give me a brief explanation as to why this system has so few fans here? Thanks in advance.

MBTI
    INTP

I have been wondering the same thing. It is a system used in Russia and the Balkans I think. Look at the INTPc .. I think they are more familiar with it over there. Then you can come back and explain to us what it is.
    Last edited by wildcat; 01-16-2008 at 11:10 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here are some links I found while studying it:

Socionics in the West

The 'Socionics, Mentology and Personality Psychology' journal. Issue 1/2007

the16types.info - the #1 socionics community in english

SOCIONICS: Personality Types and Relationships

Model A - Wikisocion

I was going to write an introduction several months ago, but I got distracted by something more important. Here's the first part of it, it's woefully incomplete, so I'll probably finish it later on:

Section 1: Model A

The most widespread and generally accepted model of Socionic theory is Model A. There are a few other models, such as Model X, but I will not discuss those here, as I consider them to be very much fringe theories at the moment. In Model A, there are 8 positions to accomodate the 8 Socionic functions. These positions are subdivided into several categories.

The first division is between conscious and unconsious functions, which are also known as mental and vital tracks. The conscious functions are the aspects of reality of which we are most aware of and try to control. The unconscious functions are aspects of reality that we react to unconsciously, and have somewhat less control over. Our actual strength with these functions vary, so we have two strong, conscious functions (the Ego block[1 & 2]), two weak conscious functions (the Super-Ego block [3 & 4]), two strong, unconscious functions (the Id block [7 & 8]), and two weak, unconcious functions (the Super-Id block [5 & 6]). The Ego functions are the basis of our conscious reality, and our preferred way of looking at reality. The Super-Ego functions are the things we consciously avoid. The Super-Id functions are areas we don't know that we need help with. The Id functions are often used unconsciously, but avoided from the conscious prespective, and may manifest under stress.

In each of these blocks, there are are producing and accepting functions. All even numbered functions are producing functions and all odd numbered functions are accepting functions. Therefore, each "block" contains one of each. Theoretically, accepting functions form a picture of reality, and producing functions build on that perception.

Thanks! If I figure it out I will be sure to summarize it for everyone else.

MBTI
    INFP

I've looked into it a year ago, but I gave up for the time being.

Its difficult to understand for various reasons. Its much more complex as it emphasizes relationships. Also, the majority of info isn't in English, and there isn't much of the non-English info that is translated well. On top of that, the functional ordering is different and the functional descriptions are different. You have to chuck out most of your knowledge of MBTI to try to understand it.

Besides, there is only one Socionics forum in English that is very active.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

It's mainly due to misunderstanding.

To explain why certain types get on better with others, and to explain cognitive processes, I find it much more consistent and logical than MBTT. However, I delve into MBTT simply because I enjoy looking at the different kinds of personality systems and defining myself within said personality system. It's also good to keep discussion up, and if narrowmindedness somehow arises, it can be quashed with a defence against dogmatism.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    To explain why certain types get on better with others, and to explain cognitive processes, I find it much more consistent and logical than MBTT.
    MBTT doesn't have anything to compare to the relationship theories of Socionics, but I don't yet know what to make of those theories. As for the cognitive processes, why do you think its more consistent and logical?

The main aspect where I see MBTI excelling is in the area of research. The MBTI has had tons of research. And the MBTI has been correlated with other personality research such as FFM which has had even more research. I don't know how much research has been done on Socionics, but I know I couldn't find any in English.

Do you know of any Socionics research in English?

It will take time before I can decide if Socionics makes sense of my experience. I do want to study it in depth eventually, but there is a lot of info to figure out.

With the MBTT, I type clearly as INFP and all of the descriptions fit me perfectly. It took me a lot longer to figure out my Socionics type. It only began to work for me when I looked at the sub-types.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    Do you know of any Socionics research in English?
    Didn't you see the links I gave above? They have all the information about the theory I could find in English.

With the MBTT, I type clearly as INFP and all of the descriptions fit me perfectly. It took me a lot longer to figure out my Socionics type. It only began to work for me when I looked at the sub-types.
    It took me a long time to find my type in MBTI, and I still don't know my Socionics type. I usually get tested as LII for some reason, but I've also gotten EII, IEI, and ILI.

I know a lot about it, and I still don't know how to type people with it. I know how the theory works and how everything is defined, but I just don't see how it can be applied.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Didn't you see the links I gave above? They have all the information about the theory I could find in English.
    Yeah. I've looked at most of that stuff before, but I don't think I've read the journal. I looked at those links and I could find any research being referenced. I also looked at the most recent issue of the journal and didn't see any research. Its all theory being presented at those links.

I don't have any problem with pure theory, but research is often helpful for when I'm trying to figure out something complex and speculative. I have heard of research done in Russia and I'd like to see translations of it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade View Post
    Yeah. I've looked at most of that stuff before, but I don't think I've read the journal. I looked at those links and I could find any research being referenced. I also looked at the most recent issue of the journal and didn't see any research. Its all theory being presented at those links.

I don't have any problem with pure theory, but research is often helpful for when I'm trying to figure out something complex and speculative. I have heard of research done in Russia and I'd like to see translations of it.
    What's the difference between research and theory? I thought you just did research to understand a theory. I get the feeling there's another kind of research people do that I don't know about.