User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the deal with Socionics?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    What's the difference between research and theory? I thought you just did research to understand a theory. I get the feeling there's another kind of research people do that I don't know about.
    Sorry for the confusion. I was using the word in the specific sense of meaning scientific studies.

Junior Member Array

I am an avid fan of socionics. I don't have the time to sing its praises, but I find it to be wonderful. Complex, yes, but....well, I am Ne-leading.... I know of one man who wants to go to the dichotomy method in socionics (as opposed to functional analysis, which is admittedly very complex and very subject to misinterpretation).

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Section 1: Model A

The most widespread and generally accepted model of Socionic theory is Model A. There are a few other models, such as Model X, but I will not discuss those here, as I consider them to be very much fringe theories at the moment. In Model A, there are 8 positions to accomodate the 8 Socionic functions. These positions are subdivided into several categories.

The first division is between conscious and unconsious functions, which are also known as mental and vital tracks. The conscious functions are the aspects of reality of which we are most aware of and try to control. The unconscious functions are aspects of reality that we react to unconsciously, and have somewhat less control over. Our actual strength with these functions vary, so we have two strong, conscious functions (the Ego block[1 & 2]), two weak conscious functions (the Super-Ego block [3 & 4]), two strong, unconscious functions (the Id block [7 & 8]), and two weak, unconcious functions (the Super-Id block [5 & 6]). The Ego functions are the basis of our conscious reality, and our preferred way of looking at reality. The Super-Ego functions are the things we consciously avoid. The Super-Id functions are areas we don't know that we need help with. The Id functions are often used unconsciously, but avoided from the conscious prespective, and may manifest under stress.

In each of these blocks, there are are producing and accepting functions. All even numbered functions are producing functions and all odd numbered functions are accepting functions. Therefore, each "block" contains one of each. Theoretically, accepting functions form a picture of reality, and producing functions build on that perception.
    I like the set-up... MBTI pretty much has provisions for this sort of a schema, provided people properly understand secondary and tertiary functions... the idea of the shadow...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Junior Member Array

*laughs* I'm not surprised. Aushra Augusta, the founder, was ENTp.

One thing that I love is function-valuing. It distinguishes between that which you value and produce, and that which you value and seek. I may love logic and value it, but I'm still an F. Same with S.

When I was introduced to the system many years ago, the Americanized version seemed to make comparisons to MBTI being the most noted point of difference was the J/P or j/p. Since then it seems that the enthusiasts have started using the Russian codes i.e. LIE and so on.

In my recent study of Jung's work, I think that Socionics comes closer to his work regarding the introverted dilemma. Myers-Briggs argues that Jung gave little credence to introversion therefore it is the secondary function that the world sees in introverts. This is to the contrary since in his introduction to type Jung says,
    The two types are so essentially different, presenting so striking a contrast, that their existence, even to the [p. 413] uninitiated in psychological matters becomes an obvious fact, when once attention has been drawn to it. Who does not know those taciturn, impenetrable, often shy natures, who form such a vivid contrast to these other open, sociable, serene maybe, or at least friendly and accessible characters, who are on good terms with all the world, or, even when disagreeing with it, still hold a relation to it by which they and it are mutually affected.
    That tells me and from my experience with people observing and commenting on my behavior that my Ti is very noticeable.