• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Difference in type between MBTI and Socionics

KDude

Well, that's what I mean. I don't mind simplicity, generally speaking, but life/personality/people aren't that simple. It's insulting to say that one whole temperment has more ideals, or one's more artistic, or cherishes tradition, or rational.

Random Ness

Trying to compare the functions of MBTI and socionics will give you a migrane. I consider them completely seperate, and I get a lot less headaches that way.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't really have too much trouble with them. The migraine comes when trying to figure out how in the hell they could be the same functions (solution: they aren't).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
which function descriptions don't line up?

i can see the most confusion with Fi, but if you contrast socionics Fi vs socionics Fe, it's obvious that Fe lines up perfectly with jungian Fi.

with socionics Fi, there can be confusion about "proper maintenance of social relations" and understanding the social hierarchy. i think the key is that it describes understanding the quality and nature of social relations as well as making moral judgments. i do see Fi doing this (look at the way Fi doms and enfps work so ardently to regulate how individuals should be treated and protecting the various kinds of relationships individuals can have with other individuals and how those relationships should be protected in such an institutionally organized bureacratic world). i see Fi experiencing a much more critical and deliberate reflection about what social relations should be, which is a useful contrastive difference with Fe (focused more purely on expression and persuasion). i think it describes Fi as having a better radar for the actual attitudes of others, which makes sense to me, because it spends more time (when focused on someone else) to imagine the subjective reality of their situation far more than Fe (and really take all of its awareness and learning into a process designed to create emotional truth, or a kind of faith about what's truly important). Fe, by contrast, focuses on how to build a useful and positive social relationship more so than dwelling as deeply on what is and could be true for that person in all its holistic complexity at the level/site of remembered emotionally tagged experiences. instead, nfjs focus far more on imagining the meaningful contexts in a much more linguistic/conceptual way, and then applying those insights via Fe. the source of intelligence is much different. it's constructed out of a different kind of awareness.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
table3.gif

INFj's as humanists and INFp's as Lyricist's now?
ENFj's are the Mentors and ENFp's are the psychologists. :smile:

I suppose, usually still get INFp sometimes INFj.

Random Ness

I've been trying to find this chart forever!

According to it:

Same letters: 30%

One letter switched: 40%
(e/i: 20%
n/s: 16%
f/t: 21%
p/j: 43%)

Two letters switched: 23%

Three letters switched: 7%

Opposite letters: very rare

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let's see...

-ENFJ looks accurate.

-ENFPs are far, far more likely than that to be IEI (and less likely to be EIE), but ENFP as Beta NF > else is accurate. ENFPs are also more likely than is shown to be SEE/SLE.

-That kind of incidence for ENTJ as ILI and especially as LII is absurd. It's exceedingly rare for an ENTJ to have such weak Se. It's otherwise accurate.

-Not enough EIE and definitely not enough IEI for ENTP. Too much ILI. Majority-ILE is correct.

-Not enough SEE for ESFJ.

-I have some trouble figuring out how an N-inferior type could fit N-dominant in Socionics, but based on quadra values I can see how ESFP can fit IEE so well. ESE is the actual dominant type for ESFP, however. Nowhere near enough SLE there, either (I actually think SLE is more common for ESFP than SEE).

-ESTJ is an LIE with an overactive HA, or a Beta ST, not really an LSE. Far too authoritarian to fit Delta values.

-ESTP as majority-SEE is funny, but I could see it. I think ESE is dominant for ESTP though, followed by SEE and SLE (Supposedly EIE ESTPs are more likely Fe-subtype SLEs).

-No ESI for INFJ is absurd. ESI is the second most common INFJ type. IEI is perhaps the third or fourth.

-INFP is roughly correct (though I've found INFPs to be more often H-IEE than EII).

-INTJ is more likely LSI than SLE.

-INTP LIE is weird (not impossible, but this common? Naaah), and INTP is actually more liable to be ILE than LII.

-ISFJ looks roughly accurate, though I think ISFJ EIIs are more likely ESI or SLI. Ne-creative is in direct opposition to Jungian Si-dominance.

-ISFP is definitely right.

-ISTJ is certainly LSI.

-ISTP is likewise certainly SLI > Beta ST, but SLI > LSI is suspect (as is such a strong Delta incidence). I've actually not met a single LSI ISTP IRL. ISTP seems most likely H-SLE.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
geez. going by the functions on wikipedia i'd be Fe/Ti and Ne/Si in socionics. what in the world does that make me? ESFj?

:thinking:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've spent a year on MBTI forums and 6 months on socionics forums (http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/index.php) and from what I can tell, yes, they are the same system. Both systems use the same N-S and T-F dichotomies that describe exactly same underlying phenomena in human psyche, just that they use different wording to describe it.

I like socionics forums more than MBTI forums for their heavier focus on theoretical discussion, but the system itself is nothing new really. Using my knowledge of MBTI I got into Socionics quite easily.

Best type correlations are as follows:
ENFP (IEE) INFP (EII) - delta
INFJ (IEI) ENFJ (EIE) - beta
ENTP (ILE) INTP (LII) - alpha
INTJ (ILI) ENTJ (LIE) - gamma
ESTP (SLE) ISTP (LSI) - beta
ISTJ (SLI) ESTJ (LSE) - delta
ESFP (SEE) ISFP (ESI) - gamma
ISFJ (SEI) ESFJ (ESE) - alpha

Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta are quadra, groupings of 4 types that value the same functions.
Alpha values Ne, Ti, Fe, Si
Beta values Ni, Ti, Fe, Se
Gamma values Ni, Te, Fi, Se
Delta values Ne, Fi, Te, Si

Last edited: