User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 42

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    105

    Default Socionics-Must Read for MBTI People (Especially Introverts)

    I am not sure if any of you are aware of Socionics. It uses the same underlying framework Carl Jung developed much like MBTI and even has the same letters E/I S/N T/F P/J however there is a large difference for introverted personality types.


    In MBTI the J or P is dictated by the direction of the Perception/Judgment functions

    For example

    INFJ

    Introverted Intuition
    Extroverted Feeling

    INFP

    Introverted Feeling
    Extroverted Intuition


    In Socionics however the J/P is based on the primary function. If you are a J you will have a judgment function primary, likewise if you are a P you will have a perception function primary. Let's take the same two types as an example

    INFJ
    Introverted Feeling
    Extroverted Intuition

    INFP
    Introverted Intuition
    Extroverted Feeling

    Of course this is just touching on the basics, there are other differences as well, however all Extroverts will have the same primary function order as they would have in MBTI.

    I highly recommend anyone take a look, especially introverts who feel that MBTI just doesn't quite explain them. Now I know these personality indicators can never fully explain people, but I think you get the gist of what I am saying

    Check the wiki link out first

    Socionics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Then you can check out the Socionics homepage

    ₪₪₪ Socionics - The New Psychology ₪₪₪


    Personally, I think it to be a little more true to Jungian Theory as far as I know it, but that is just my opinion. I think everyone should study both if you are interested, but you may find one or the other rings more true, or seems to make more sense for you.

    Have Fun, and Good Luck.

  2. #2
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Socionics sucks. I find it to be one of the least accurate. Sorry nothing personal against you but that's just my opinion.

  3. #3
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Same crap repackaged with a different label.

    Virtually no significant conceptual differences, despite what all the haters will tell you.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #4
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Same crap repackaged with a different label.

    Virtually no significant conceptual differences, despite what all the haters will tell you.
    That's easy for extroverts to say because it doesn't change anything with you guys.

  5. #5
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    It doesn't change anything with anyone.

    The functional definitions are the same; it just arbitrarily labels IxxP types as IxxJ and vice versa.

    There's still no conceptual difference at all; an ISTp in socionics still has virtually all the same properties as an ISTJ in MBTI. It's just changing the arbitrary label; both are still Si/Te users and the definitions of those functions are still virtually the same (they have trivial surface differences but are conceptually very very similar.)

    That's like saying I'm going to invent my own system where each IS type uses the letter Q instead of S, so now we have IQTJ, IQTP, etc...except oh wait, that changes absolutely nothing of any importance; we've just stuck a different label on the same idea.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #6
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It doesn't change anything with anyone.

    The functional definitions are the same; it just arbitrarily labels IxxP types as IxxJ and vice versa.

    There's still no conceptual difference at all; an ISTp in socionics still has virtually all the same properties as an ISTJ in MBTI. It's just changing the arbitrary label; both are still Si/Te users and the definitions of those functions are still virtually the same (they have trivial surface differences but are conceptually very very similar.)

    That's like saying I'm going to invent my own system where each IS type uses the letter Q instead of S, so now we have IQTJ, IQTP, etc...except oh wait, that changes absolutely nothing of any importance; we've just stuck a different label on the same idea.
    I get what you mean but the personality descriptions stay the same, so it does change things.

  7. #7
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I get what you mean but the personality descriptions stay the same, so it does change things.
    How does it change any actual concepts? As you said, the personality descriptions stay the same! That's the whole meat of the system. Which types get which arbitrary letter labels is almost entirely irrelevant.

    It doesn't change any of the actual CONTENT of the system, just the arbitrary surface labeling; thus, it is not actually a different system at all!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #8
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    How does it change any actual concepts? As you said, the personality descriptions stay the same! That's the whole meat of the system. Which types get which arbitrary letter labels is almost entirely irrelevant.

    It doesn't change any of the actual CONTENT of the system, just the arbitrary surface labeling; thus, it is not actually a different system at all!
    ... the descriptions stay the same so an MBTI intj and Socionics intj will have the same description...but when the MBTI INTJ takes the socionics test he will come out as INTP, THUS a different description of his type.. DUH?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It doesn't change anything with anyone.

    The functional definitions are the same; it just arbitrarily labels IxxP types as IxxJ and vice versa.

    There's still no conceptual difference at all; an ISTp in socionics still has virtually all the same properties as an ISTJ in MBTI. It's just changing the arbitrary label; both are still Si/Te users and the definitions of those functions are still virtually the same (they have trivial surface differences but are conceptually very very similar.)

    That's like saying I'm going to invent my own system where each IS type uses the letter Q instead of S, so now we have IQTJ, IQTP, etc...except oh wait, that changes absolutely nothing of any importance; we've just stuck a different label on the same idea.

    Well I think you might be overgeneralizing a bit. There are differences, read the page. Also, Socionics explores our strong yet unconscious functions a bit better. It acknowledges all 8, and gives them specific places in our psyche.


    It also fits a bit better with Jung's ideas in my opinion because of the fact that IJs don't have a primary judgment function, it is secondary. This makes it a bit easier to introduce people to the concept. Also I think that some IJs IPs are more MBTI and some more Socionics. That is, for example, some INFJs are more feeling, and some more intuition.

    It gives you more possibilities which in my opinion, due to the complicated nature of the human psyche (more complicated than any personality system could describe) helps create a more accurate picture of people.

    It also goes into the relations between the different types, something MBTI doesn't touch on.

    This isn't Coke and Pepsi, MBTI and Socionics are not mutually exclusive.


    Edit: "but when the MBTI INTJ takes the socionics test he will come out as INTP, THUS a different description of his type.. DUH? "

    Not always true, some stay the same, some change, depends on the person. The wiki article even acknowledges the MBTI types of introverts could be either or.

  10. #10
    HAHHAHHAH! INTJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatman455 View Post
    Well I think you might be overgeneralizing a bit. There are differences, read the page. Also, Socionics explores our strong yet unconscious functions a bit better. It acknowledges all 8, and gives them specific places in our psyche.


    It also fits a bit better with Jung's ideas in my opinion because of the fact that IJs don't have a primary judgment function, it is secondary. This makes it a bit easier to introduce people to the concept. Also I think that some IJs IPs are more MBTI and some more Socionics. That is, for example, some INFJs are more feeling, and some more intuition.

    It gives you more possibilities which in my opinion, due to the complicated nature of the human psyche (more complicated than any personality system could describe) helps create a more accurate picture of people.

    It also goes into the relations between the different types, something MBTI doesn't touch on.

    This isn't Coke and Pepsi, MBTI and Socionics are not mutually exclusive.


    Edit: "but when the MBTI INTJ takes the socionics test he will come out as INTP, THUS a different description of his type.. DUH? "

    Not always true, some stay the same, some change, depends on the person. The wiki article even acknowledges the MBTI types of introverts could be either or.
    Yea well that too, I think their inter type relations are garbage. Keirsey seems more accurate in the real world to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM
  2. Thinking of doing Astrology readings for MBTI enthusiasts
    By Eluded_One in forum Other Personality Systems
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 06:51 PM
  3. Book List - Good Books to Read on MBTI, Socionics, Ennegram, Crossovers, Other
    By TopherRed in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
  4. Superlatives for MBTI types
    By alcea rosea in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 05:32 PM
  5. Collective Nouns for MBTI Types
    By JivinJeffJones in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 01:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO