• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI vs Socionics

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a bit confused about something. As I understand it, the dominant functions of an INTP in the Myers-Briggs system is Ti, and the secondary is Ne. The P function (iNtuition) is extraverted, but the introverted function (Thinking) is Dominant.

As I understand it, in the Socionics system, the INTp dominant function is Ni and secondary is Te. The Ti-Ne functions belong to the INTj.

I'm using INTP as an example, but I would guess that this extends to the other types as well. What am I missing here? Should I be looking at them independantly based on functions or what?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Socionics uses Ni, for example, as Introverted Perception (IxxP), and it is an introverted perception, so it would equate to INxP. Myers-Briggs look at P as having S or N preference directed in the outer world, and J as having T and F directed in the outer world. In Socionics, a P preference means that your dominant function is a perception function (Si, Se, Ni, Ne), directed either inward or outward.

Myers-Briggs, Keirsey, and Socionics are the three branches of Jungian measurement, and they're each different and measure different things in different ways.

All three measure things based on the same preference, but Myers-Briggs is more concerned with the inner self -- the way you see the world, and this is then correlated by career.

Keirsey is more concerned with connecting Jungian theory to temperamental humors, and so Keirsey types are more about motivation.

Socionics, I guess you can say, takes the least scientific stance in personality measurement. It's sort of a Jungian phrenology. It's not necessarily based on facial structure, but it's based on the appearance of a person's eyes, which also tends to have a correlation to how people think -- as they say, the eyes are the gateway to a man's soul.

The Socionics assessment on Socionics.com is really more like an MBTI, because Socionics isn't interested in preferences, it measures type based on appearance and outer behavior, which is why it tends to be more spiritual than scientific (as in as scientific as psychology and psychometrics can be).

Needless to say, the MBTI is the most practical assessment, since its goal is to help a person discover a career path, while Keirsey and Socionics focus solely on motivation and behavior, respectively.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Socionics, I guess you can say, takes the least scientific stance in personality measurement. It's sort of a Jungian phrenology. It's not necessarily based on facial structure, but it's based on the appearance of a person's eyes, which also tends to have a correlation to how people think -- as they say, the eyes are the gateway to a man's soul.

I'm going to have to go dig up your picture, Uberfuhrer, and take a close look at those eyes.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Here you go.

I was helped by another member via PM. He said I most resembled an ENTp.

(Or are you just being a smart ass?)

The shadows falling over your eyes make it hard to say for sure, but you look both calm and intense. I wouldn't class you as an ENTP, based on appearance. (He was being a smart ass. Kill him.) :devil:

I read somewhere that if you visually divide somebody's face in half, you should be able to detect which emotions conflict most often within them. To me, the right side of your face seems coolly inquisitive while the left side seems angrily aloof. (But possibly it's just the glaring sunlight in your eyes that makes you look that way to me.)

You should post a better picture.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm a bit confused about something. As I understand it, the dominant functions of an INTP in the Myers-Briggs system is Ti, and the secondary is Ne. The P function (iNtuition) is extraverted, but the introverted function (Thinking) is Dominant.

As I understand it, in the Socionics system, the INTp dominant function is Ni and secondary is Te. The Ti-Ne functions belong to the INTj.

I'm using INTP as an example, but I would guess that this extends to the other types as well. What am I missing here? Should I be looking at them independantly based on functions or what?

Socionics and MBTI functions cannot be correlated precisely, which is why I'm working on adapting a Socionic subtype theory to MBTI. They are formulated differently. The interpretations of Jungian theory differ in subtle but important ways. Socionics is based more on information metabolism than on a person's motivation. The functions are even measured differently.

Also, MBTI formulation bases rationality/irrationality (J/P) on the first extroverted function, while Socionics bases it on the dominant function irregardless of it's attitude.

For some reason, I score as an LII on most Socionic tests, but I'm clearly not an INTx in MBTI, based on my interaction style. So the two often don't correlate, and I'm biased towards MBTI reasoning due to my higher familiarity with it. Also, test results are often disputed by independent experts who analyze type, and that appears to be the typing method of choice in Socionics.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Socionics records Ti-Ne as INTJ because Ti is a judging function. Virtually the same system though different labels. EPs and EJs are recorded the same way because they start with an extroverted function. IJs and IPs are flip-flopped.

For MBTI, a P is one that treats the external world with a perceiving function. Extroverted Intuition or Extroverted Sensing. For Socionics, a P is one that has a dominant perceiving function, be it introverted or extroverted.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read somewhere that if you visually divide somebody's face in half, you should be able to detect which emotions conflict most often within them. To me, the right side of your face seems coolly inquisitive while the left side seems angrily aloof. (But possibly it's just the glaring sunlight in your eyes that makes you look that way to me.)

Let's just say that whenever the sun glares in my eye, the left side of my face always squints like that no matter what direction the sun is shining.

And I'd think the coolly inquisitive expression is synonymous with ENTp character. What were you thinking I was? (Just curious.)

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
Let's just say that whenever the sun glares in my eye, the left side of my face always squints like that no matter what direction the sun is shining.

And I'd think the coolly inquisitive expression is synonymous with ENTp character. What were you thinking I was? (Just curious.)

Well, you do look like an ENTp if the left side is the result of sun-squint, as you say. But I would like to see a better picture. I get bipolar vibes from that one.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you do look like an ENTp if the left side is the result of sun-squint, as you say. But I would like to see a better picture. I get bipolar vibes from that one.

What does the left side look like (pretend the sun doesn't exist)?

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
What does the left side look like (pretend the sun doesn't exist)?

Quit being stubborn, Ubie! Upload a better picture. (I know you have access to a digital camera . . . .)

Hard to pretend the sun doesn't exist, when the sunlight is making you squinch up half your face in that picture.

(Stubborn INTJ! Excuse me: ENTp, by the Socionics definition.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quit being stubborn, Ubie! Upload a better picture. (I know you have access to a digital camera . . . .)

Hard to pretend the sun doesn't exist, when the sunlight is making you squinch up half your face in that picture.

(Stubborn INTJ! Excuse me: ENTp, by the Socionics definition.)

That pic was taken with a digital camera!

What, you can't use your Ne to pretend the sun doesn't exist? Shame, shame! :alttongue:

The truth is that I'm camera shy. Cameras might steal my soul.

Here's my Kubrick stare.

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
That pic was taken with a digital camera!

My digital camera takes crappy pictures, too. It's a Nikon Coolpix 3200. I can't get the focus right. I liked my old HP Photosmart 318 better even though it didn't have all the fancy features.

The truth is that I'm camera shy. Cameras might steal my soul.

You wouldn't be bad looking if you'd quit making faces, glowering, etc. But then, you wouldn't be you, either. I'm trying to envision you in a glamour shot . . . . :yim_rolling_on_the_

With that Kubrick stare, I'm pretty sure your soul is safe, but I wouldn't want to encounter you in a dark alley. So, you stay out of bright sunlight and I'll stay out of dark alleys.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My digital camera takes crappy pictures, too. It's a Nikon Coolpix 3200. I can't get the focus right. I liked my old HP Photosmart 318 better even though it didn't have all the fancy features.

You wouldn't be bad looking if you'd quit making faces, glowering, etc. But then, you wouldn't be you, either. I'm trying to envision you in a glamour shot . . . . :yim_rolling_on_the_

With that Kubrick stare, I'm pretty sure your soul is safe, but I wouldn't want to encounter you in a dark alley. So, you stay out of bright sunlight and I'll stay out of dark alleys.

But wouldn't smiling be considered making a face just as easily?

And do different facial expressions not impact Socionics typing that much?

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
But wouldn't smiling be considered making a face just as easily?

I don't find it easy to smile unless I'm actually laughing. Often I think I'm smiling but I'm not, and then some smartass will tell me to smile when I thought I already was. Annoys me.

But yes, smiling is making faces. Don't do it.

And do different facial expressions not impact Socionics typing that much?

I assume a person who is not smiling or glaring would be easiest to read, but that assumption is based at least partly on my personal limitations with expressions.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So what do you mean by saying my "soul is safe?"

I'm just seeing multiple meanings on that one...

Recluse

MBTI Type
INXP
So what do you mean by saying my "soul is safe?"

I'm just seeing multiple meanings on that one...

I was just saying that with your Kubrick stare, no camera would dare to steal your soul. Don't get all paranoid on me now, Ubie!

Although one can't help but notice that with a stare like that, it's impossible to see beyond the intimidation factor to the person within, which may have been the intention. Or perhaps it's just a byproduct of the Berlin Wall that you've built around your inner self to shut the world out. Argh! Now I'm seeing multiple meanings in the blasted comment, even though I'm pretty sure when I said it there were none. (But who knows? Subconsciously . . . maybe.)

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
While Socionics is closer to Jung is some ways, physiognomity is 99% bullshit. When dabbling in typology the temptation of physiognomity is always there and yet must always be resisted.