User Tag List

123 Last

Default Socionics vs. MBTI -- not so different in the end!

OK. So I don't know MUCH about the differences in the fuctions of the socionics types versus the corresponding MBTI types. I do know that I've heard that, for instance, if you are an INFJ in MBTI, you would likely be an INFp in socionics. But I don't think that's right. Aren't the functions interpreted differently in each system? Also, haven't you noticed that ISFPs are like ISFps, not ISFjs, and so forth?

Who else is with me?

deleted

I think socionics gets the terms introverted and extroverted mixed up when they name their functions. In any case it's all relative. MBTI is just more convenient.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

The confusion that arises when the two systems are compared is caused by their completely different understanding of the functions.

If we look at the ISFP and SEI/ISFp they are both described as artistic, peaceable, in touch with their physical environment and with the feelings of others. For MBTI the focus is on the archetype while in socionics somebody's 'type' is merely a product of their functions. My personal preference is for socionics but I do not feel it is my place to tell others which system is right (How very un-ENTP of me :rolli: ).

When having discussions on this board I find it doesn't really matter which system is being used. If I convey irritation of my SEI gf and her hedonistic procrastination then others can relate ISFPs with the same behaviour ( followed by all sharing a group hug ). In the end it boils to whether you wish to use functions or personality traits to compare types.

In MBTI:

ISFP = Fi, Se, Ni, Te

ISFJ = Si, Fe, Ti, Ne

While in Socionics:

SEI/ISFp = Si, Fe, Ne, Ti

ESI/ISFj = Fi, Se, Te, Ni

For a decent breakdown of information elements and functions check out Wikisocion home - Wikisocion
    Last edited by D'Artagnan; 02-13-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Chivalry is only a name for that general spirit or state of mind which disposes men to heroic actions, and keeps them conversant with all that is beautiful and sublime in the intellectual and moral world
    - Kenelm Henry Digby

I can relate to the Socionics ISFP and the descriptions. The functions are described differently so the different combinations make sense.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

The best policy when you come to socionics is to throw away any conception about typologies and start anew. When I discovered socionics two years ago, I spent the first two months wasting time explaining that because I was an ENTJ, I must be an LIE. This is not the case. I am actually an SLE in socionics. There are a lot of INTPs who think they're ILIs in socionics, and often they're merely fitting the male stereotype of an IEI. In MBTI, the ESFP is not a commanding figure, at all. In fact, Se has nothing to do with any kind of command. In socionics, commanding takes a great role in Se. For example, Caesar was an SEE, and a lot of great commanders have been SLEs (both of these types have Se as their base function. Anyway, you can see how they are so different, and why you should discard any MBTI-related notions when looking at socionics.

Generally, I prefer socionics because I feel it has more practical value; it is based on a well thought out system of intertype relations. Nonetheless, I still enjoy studying MBTI and Keirsey.

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    While in Socionics:

SEI/ISFp = Si, Fe, Ti, Ne

ESI/ISFj = Fi, Se, Ni, Te
    No, rather in Socionics, each function has a unique disposition. There is less mathematical reasoning of functions and simply more definition.

There is no order of usage, rather implied when one doesn't use the first function, he uses the third. One is pleased by the fifth and one realizes problems with the sixth function. One supposedly creates and reflects with their second. Conceptual yet nominal.

Technically the order they try to give is

SEI/ISFp = Si, Fe, Ni, Te

ESI/ISFj = Fi, Se, Ti, Ne

But I'm no socionicist

I believe Socionics is quite limited in the knowledge that every type is incompletely conceivable. It is designed for those who can't accept truth thus rather accept some personal understanding. There is no proof of negative connotation which is why I am not omitting it, but I'd rather not spend time studying what I think as useless at this moment.

What I really think the socionicists are doing ineffectively is defining sixteen types out of say a hundred possible types, and expecting people to fit into one of them. They're setting themselves up for future complication, and more inevitably a lack of feedback. Soon most people will begin to realize how similar all the functions are to one another, and that the socionicists are just rewriting profiles without any validity of structure.

Though, keep the conversations rolling. I don't mind listening.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I spent the first two months wasting time explaining that because I was an ENTJ, I must be an LIE. This is not the case. I am actually an SLE in socionics.
    Yeah, this is true.. there's a correlation between MBTI and socionics types, but it's not a definite relation. While LIE is a good fit for me (along with ILE), a lot of ENTJs even resonate more with LII.

..in a Google search for the correlation, I stumbled upon one of your threads.. the tables there are pretty telling.

This is so interesting. Talk to me about a possible 100 types, Lemons!?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    This is so interesting. Talk to me about a possible 100 types, Lemons!?
    I don't know what lemons means, but I do know that if you did not force the order in anyway, including all 8 processes, there'd be 40320 permutations. A lot more than hundreds, eh?

However, there are some explanations for why we don't do that.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Glycerine