User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Kora View Post
    But, our physical characteristics are genetical. Which means if you're born in a family with long noses, you'll probably have a long nose. But if you're born in a family of SJ, you don't have to be a SJ. There are exceptions, but I think there will be more exceptions in inheriting type (for starters, I doubt you can 'inherit' type) than inheriting physical characteristics.
    we dont know enough about genetics to make this assumption. genetics are much more complicated than this.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    So I was reading the socionics descriptions and it was really cracking me up how they were describing how each type looks physically (i.e. ENFP's are tall, ISFJ's have thick lips, INTP's have large noses etc.). How can they do this? Are they true for the most part?
    Those are funny and not at all true as generalizations

I do believe VI is somewhat accurate though - you just have to do it by the facial expression, rather than the physical characteristics. I.E. S types tend to look very focused on one thing, very linear... whereas N types tend to have a more encompassing look in their eyes. Extroverts tend to radiate energy outward in their eyes, smiles, and presence, whereas introverts appear to contain it, to hold the energy in.

All that said, some people just simply don't look like the types they are. It's not a science.
    j'adore les chats

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    you just have to do it by the facial expression, rather than the physical characteristics.
    Yeah, this is the only way I could ever make sense of VI. From that standpoint, it makes more sense because what you observe could actually be somewhat tied to whatever cognitive function is most prominently displayed.

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Phototyping is real, although it depends on something a lot more amorphous than plain physical characteristics that you can isolate. Which basically means that it's unfalsifiable, and therefore unscientific. There are some generalizations and some people who /do/ fit the archetype. And there are many who don't.

Of course, the position of some Socionists is that most people don't really know typology well enough to actually type others in a consistent manner, instead relying on superficial external characteristics and traits rather than looking at real internal dynamics. Read Jung some time. He really gets into it .

If you want to learn, it helps to pay attention to the extreme minutiae of a person's eyes and what kind of "aura" they give off, for lack of a better word.

Needless to say, I've probably gotten a lot of weird looks from people in real life for this practice. You can get very close to a person by looking at their eyes, and some people don't want you to get that close, lol.
    Sounds bogus, like a pseudo-science. Tea leaves in a pot would probably be more reliable. Heck, how about weed in a bong? That will help you pick up on all that psychedelic minutiae within the aura of their eyes.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Let it be known that V.I. is a more intuitive way of typing people.

It continues to amuse me that people will see body language, mannerisms, and writing style as a valid way of typing people, but when we get into V.I. territory, that's a big no-no.

Not everything the Russians create is useless.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Because Americans hate the idea that they must be like their parents.

We rebel against Mother Russia because our teenage hormones tell us so. It may be right, it may be wrong, but we will never know.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Let it be known that V.I. is a more intuitive way of typing people.

It continues to amuse me that people will see body language, mannerisms, and writing style as a valid way of typing people, but when we get into V.I. territory, that's a big no-no.

Not everything the Russians create is useless.
    Ah, so anyone who doubts the veracity of V.I. is automatically dissing Russia? Give me a break.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiana View Post
    Those are funny and not at all true as generalizations

I do believe VI is somewhat accurate though - you just have to do it by the facial expression, rather than the physical characteristics. I.E. S types tend to look very focused on one thing, very linear... whereas N types tend to have a more encompassing look in their eyes. Extroverts tend to radiate energy outward in their eyes, smiles, and presence, whereas introverts appear to contain it, to hold the energy in.

All that said, some people just simply don't look like the types they are. It's not a science.
    this is how i type people without talking to them and im 80-90% correct usually. introverts almost seem to be squinting and not literally squinting but... gah its hard to explain.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ENTps normally have a long, slim figure. Other parts of the body are also stretched, especially the legs and fingers. They often have rounded shoulders. Sometimes ENTps have a characteristic inwardly sloping chin. Because of their particular physical structure their clothes always seem to fit pretty badly, often slipping down and hanging off them in an unflattering manner. Their buttons also seem to have a habit of falling off.

ENTps usually have a distant, far away look in their eyes and it often seems as though they are paying little attention to what is going on. During conversation ENTps like to play with objects, like a pen for example, often accidentally breaking it. They may gesticulate when passionately telling a story.
    wow- how amazingly wrong! There's no way on earth, genetically speaking, that I could have looked like the description of my type!

I have a chin, I'm short and actually rather well built. Clothes fit me very well. I have rather square shoulders for a female and really small hands with stubby fingers. I'm accused of always having the look of "I'm up to no good, and we're all going to have a lot of fun!" in my eyes as well

However, I definitley look a lot more like my INTP dad than my ISFJ mom (my ENFJ sis looks a lot like my mom and her side of the family, which is almost ALL Js). No one in my family looks anything like the description of how they should look though

(I also fidget a lot while talking and use my hands quite a bit while telling stories though- behavior is on, appearance is way off)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    Sounds bogus, like a pseudo-science. Tea leaves in a pot would probably be more reliable. Heck, how about weed in a bong? That will help you pick up on all that psychedelic minutiae within the aura of their eyes.
    Please note that I explicitly said that it was NOT a science. So how could it be a pseudo-science, in my frame of reference? And actually, weed in a bong is quite good.

You can doubt the veracity of V.I. all you want though. I'm not exactly trying to prove it to you, since I don't believe that it can be proven.