• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Searching The Internet Increases Brain Function

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Good news. There goes any guilt I might have had about being on the internet too much...

ScienceDaily (Oct. 15, 2008) — UCLA scientists have found that for computer-savvy middle-aged and older adults, searching the Internet triggers key centers in the brain that control decision-making and complex reasoning. The findings demonstrate that Web search activity may help stimulate and possibly improve brain function.

The study, the first of its kind to assess the impact of Internet searching on brain performance, is currently in press at the American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and will appear in an upcoming issue.

"The study results are encouraging, that emerging computerized technologies may have physiological effects and potential benefits for middle-aged and older adults," said principal investigator Dr. Gary Small, a professor at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA who holds UCLA's Parlow-Solomon Chair on Aging. "Internet searching engages complicated brain activity, which may help exercise and improve brain function."

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm a fucking rocket scientist then. ^_^b Sweet!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah I'm basically ready to walk into NASA and hand out responsibility to people...