User Tag List

First 234

Thread: Google Chrome

MBTI
    ISTP

I use it for just about everything as well, except flash. It kicks ass, but really needs to be expanded. Course, then it would probably slow down. But damn, it's nice to have a program that actually displays quickly <_<

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I use it for just about everything as well, except flash. It kicks ass, but really needs to be expanded. Course, then it would probably slow down. But damn, it's nice to have a program that actually displays quickly <_<
    Heh. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at the new version of FF when it's released. Tracemonkey, is the overhaul to their Javascript engine, and makes a very noticeable difference in browsing speed. I believe it should be coming out relatively soon.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

FF always seem to claim that, and very little improvement is made in the speed department. (for me, it seems, anyway) however, that is not to say that change is not noted, i am just saying, its not an astronomical jump in speed like everyone makes it out to be.

chrome, on the other hand, i find, is ASTOUNDINGLY fast compared to FF3 (and IE doesn't even deserve a mention)
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

As I'm running IE8 alongside Chrome I can say that IE8 isn't exactly a slow poke. Plus the addition of it being able with one tick box to wipe all your browsing when it closes is a godsend for work. Google Chrome is a pain... fancy displaying that the website I visit most frequently at work is MBTIc! Who came up with that scheme?

One evolutionary dead end I did check out was a little browser called K-Meleon. It's supposed to be a really stripped browser but on my portable apps drive it seems no better than firefox which really is too large to be of any particular use despite having it mounted on a Rally drive! I wonder if some nice bod will release a portable Chrome? Now that I would snap up!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ Extraordinaire View Post
    FF always seem to claim that, and very little improvement is made in the speed department. (for me, it seems, anyway) however, that is not to say that change is not noted, i am just saying, its not an astronomical jump in speed like everyone makes it out to be.
    I'm using it...it is definitely a noticeable increase in speed. (For the technically inclined, go download a nightly build here, type about:config into the address bar, type "jit" into the "filter" bar, and enable both of the settings.) There are some graphs out there, I think it's on average about 6x faster at rendering Javascript, which is what much of the net consists of. (Still doesn't do much if you have dial-up or the like though.)
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

That's the thing with Firefox. Why the hell don't they optimise it before releasing it and then allow you to slow it down if necessary?

There's tons of stuff you can do to make it faster like have it open more than one connection to a server. However unless you read technical documentation or take a browse through TweakGuides.com how are you going to know about the settings never mind what they can do?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I'm using it...it is definitely a noticeable increase in speed. (For the technically inclined, go download a nightly build here, type about:config into the address bar, type "jit" into the "filter" bar, and enable both of the settings.) There are some graphs out there, I think it's on average about 6x faster at rendering Javascript, which is what much of the net consists of. (Still doesn't do much if you have dial-up or the like though.)
    *sigh* don't get me wrong, i LOVE! firefox, i have never gone back to IE since i used firefox, EVER! unless i had to (i.e School, Etc.) i am just saying, its not a massive breathtaking jump in speed like they make it out to be at times.
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

MBTI
    ENFP

Most of the features people fell in love with are re-implementations of Opera features. Opera is only slightly slower on the CPU front and otherwise is a better browser, more features and better community support. Unless you're a GNU FOSS dork, you should use Opera.

"Google is the online equivalent of the creepy, popular, born-again stepdad whos boinking your mom and trying to be a good guy, but hes just a loser you secretly wish would die."