• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Laptop

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Which is better: Dell or HP?

I really want a coloured Dell, but not if it's no good.

Dell. XPS is looking awefully tempting right now. But I already have two laptops. I have two Lenovo Thinkpads. No more! IBM took the Thinkpad quality with them.

Last edited:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
3d_apple_logo_102.jpeg

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd stear clear from HP... decent prices I guess but I had a laptop from them which gave me lots of problems and they have sub-par tech support. After that I got a XPS, the price was a little higher, but I've had zero major problems with it and I still use it a decent amount of time.

XPS might be too much for what you want though, it's really a gaming PC. For basic needs and price the Compaq Presario V5000Z might be better. The Sony VAIO is something else to maybe look at.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
I recently bought a Macbook and it has been the best computer I have ever owned. At least I think I can safely say that now. I suppose if you're going to be playing a lot of intensive games than it isn't for you but other than that I think they are great.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I recently bought a Macbook and it has been the best computer I have ever owned. At least I think I can safely say that now. I suppose if you're going to be playing a lot of intensive games than it isn't for you but other than that I think they are great.

Word. If mine were a car it'd have 200k miles on it. It's a solid computer. I need a newer one someday...

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Have you considered Asus as an option? I've heard pretty great things about their EEE laptops. The most expensive one will run you ~$500 American. It has an Intel Atom processor, SSD hardrive (depending on the model), decent battery life.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Have you considered Asus as an option? I've heard pretty great things about their EEE laptops. The most expensive one will run you ~$500 American. It has an Intel Atom processor, SSD hardrive (depending on the model), decent battery life.

EEE keyboards suck. Buy an Acer Aspire One if you're going that route, I have it, and it's far better in pretty much all respects, only $350-$400. Also, the SSD, while durable, has absymal performance, a normal HD is still the way to go (Which is what I have in mine), unless you're planning on playing catch with your laptop while it's running.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
EEE keyboards suck. Buy an Acer Aspire One if you're going that route, I have it, and it's far better in pretty much all respects, only $350-$400. Also, the SSD, while durable, has absymal performance, a normal HD is still the way to go (Which is what I have in mine), unless you're planning on playing catch with your laptop while it's running.

Interesting. I guess a lot of companies have jumped on the "cheap-compact notebook" bandwagon since the last time I've checked.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lenovos are supposed to be the sturdiest. This is according to my network engineer husband who tried to talk me into buying one, but I bought a Dell instead. It has been fine, but it's less than a year old. The CD/DVD burner/whatever drive crapped out in a matter of weeks, too, so I guess it hasn't been that fine--but they replaced it quickly and no questions asked.

Also, if you want a pink one, consider buying based on quality (Toshiba/Lenovo/Vaio or whatever), and then get an adhesive skin to decorate the cover. I have this one:

LSVan_Gogh_Almond_Blossom-250x200.jpg

but you can get pretty much anything you want. They have suede-like pink ones.

Laptop Skins by Schtickers - Shop, Create, Participate

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Oh yeah, the skins are nice. That er....leopard print one is pushing it a bit.
Thank you.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got the skin because I wanted a green Dell but they had a special on blue ones when I went to buy and I couldn't abide spending an extra 200 bucks for the green one. Heh. Then I found the skins and kinda fell in love with the Van Gogh one. I do kind of wish it was on a Lenovo though. My Dell is okay but I feel kind of dumb now for buying it so hastily and "against medical advice" if you will.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think it's between Lenovo and Sony Vaio now.
As long as it's piiiiiink.

(and I never used to like pink)

Mercurial

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w6
Then don't buy dell. HP or Acer. Dell is useless shit, and they have crappy support.

Apparently the Dell notebook I'm typing this on and have had over a year doesn't work well, then.

The one time I needed support, the call went fast and wasn't a big deal (my wireless router was the source of evil).

Dell got better after about five years pissing off a lot of customers and making the necessary changes to dig themselves out of that hole.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm actually more confused than ever.
Contradicting opinions on just about every brand.
The only laptop that seems to get consistently good reviews is the Lenovo T61, but it's so ugly, it breaks my heart.

Mercurial

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w6
I'm actually more confused than ever.
Contradicting opinions on just about every brand.
The only laptop that seems to get consistently good reviews is the Lenovo T61, but it's so ugly, it breaks my heart.

One person's ugly is a computer geek's :nice:.