• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Laptop

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Which is better: Dell or HP?

I really want a coloured Dell, but not if it's no good.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
apples and oranges... what are you looking to get out of a laptop, exactly?

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm horribly technologically challenged. I don't really want it for something specific, just tired of using a work pc or someone else's laptop. Even if it's for basic stuff only, I do NOT want to buy junk. I'm willing to pay extra for something that won't give in after six months.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Then don't buy dell. HP or Acer. Dell is useless shit, and they have crappy support.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Oh rly! Ahhh, I'm dissapointed, I don't think you get nice coloured HP or Acer's like Dell have. I have't checked though, might be wrong.

Thank you.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
okay, so correct me if im wrong, youre looking for something that reliable and meets your needs. those purposes are very similar to what a lot of large businesses need for their employees... and what they have chosen have been vested through a lot of research.

this was my thinking, so i looked at what a lot of enterprises favor and went with an IBM lenova, it has been exactly what i expected. they have a reputation for being tough (they do also have magnesium frame bodies available) and reliable, even if they arent particularly flashy or "fun". the performance certainly isnt lacking either. :)

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
er...I'm not a large bussiness though...I'm just a girl who wants a pink laptop.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
i know, but what i am saying is... why not take a hint from "the people who know better"? :)

businesses put a lot of thought into cost effectiveness, when it comes to technology a huge part of this is reliability and longevity. these decisions, at least with something like which laptop brand to use for employee laptops, are then vetted through hundreds if not thousands of trials. let's say 6% of HP laptops have a hard drive crash after 2 years, while only 4% of IBMs, that would be a difference of hundreds of units across a large business, something that the support department would definitely notice.

edit: sorry if im pounding your "just wanna pink laptop" into a pulp, but a few years from now id rather you be a girl with a pink laptop, rather than a girl with a pink laptop and 200 Gb of lost storage, or girl sending her pink laptop in for repair every few months. :) there is nothing cute about having your crap break after the warranty expires

edit2: i take my technology a bit too seriously :coffee:

edit3: all of this is in reference vs. consumer targeted models, by the way.

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have an HP laptop. I've had it for about 10 months and it's working amazingly. Even when it stopped working last week, it repaired itself! (Only error it's ever had.) I was surprised. I was so scared that I would have to go to get it fixed, like with another one of my laptops which I couldn't fix myself. But I didn't.

I have the HP Pavillion dv6000. They probably have better models out now, but I love this laptop! It even has a remote control and now their laptops come in an environmentally friendly laptop carrier instead of cardboard and styrofoam packaging :D

I'm not sure about Dells, but we had those at school and they weren't anything special. They had errors a few time too.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sony Vaio are also nice laptops, and I am pretty sure they come in various colors.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I have an HP laptop. I've had it for about 10 months and it's working amazingly. Even when it stopped working last week, it repaired itself! (Only error it's ever had.) I was surprised. I was so scared that I would have to go to get it fixed, like with another one of my laptops which I couldn't fix myself. But I didn't.

I have the HP Pavillion dv6000. They probably have better models out now, but I love this laptop! It even has a remote control and now their laptops come in an environmentally friendly laptop carrier instead of cardboard and styrofoam packaging :D

I'm not sure about Dells, but we had those at school and they weren't anything special. They had errors a few time too.

Okay, thank you. Do you get HP in green or pink?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I say neither, get a Toshiba. I'm on my second one and I swear by them. I've had Toshibas for six years, and I've had to have a repair exactly once. They're also among the most reasonably priced brands, especially at Best Buy. Dell has terrible customer service and Sony is ridiculously overpriced. I have no direct experience with HP, but I know they merged with Compaq and Compaq was terrible.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I also own a Toshiba. It was an assumed piece of shit buy.. It was on sale for $400 (after rebates of course.. but I didn't have any trouble getting those back.. it was $900 before them all. I had the last rebate back within 4 months. Only complaint was there were like 6 of them lol.) at Office Depot when they were closing to re-open elsewhere. I bought two. One for myself, and one for my sister for college which we were assumed to be in by fall of 2005. (when we bought them.) I still have mine, and it works pretty well. After spending a year traveling all over the heat and dusty weather of Iraq, my lack of caring for technology enough to learn how to keep it in good conditions, and careless downloading and such when I first got it.. it's lasted pretty well. It's a bit slow now that I use it for desktop purposes but I have little complaints on it all.

My sister, however, got so many viruses on hers that the entire system had to be wiped clean. She has no trouble on it now, but it was such a hassle trying to heal it before we made the "fuckit" decision. So, that being the only laptop I've personally owned, I say Toshiba is a good brand.

Mac, however, is not. My friend owned one and had to have it sent in for repair 3 times while in Iraq... deliveries taking to-and-fro 2 weeks each.

Usehername

On a mission
I say neither, get a Toshiba. I'm on my second one and I swear by them. I've had Toshibas for six years, and I've had to have a repair exactly once. They're also among the most reasonably priced brands, especially at Best Buy. Dell has terrible customer service and Sony is ridiculously overpriced. I have no direct experience with HP, but I know they merged with Compaq and Compaq was terrible.

I also have owned a Toshiba laptop since 2004; it's still a very functional piece of equipment. My screen has blacked out 3 or 4 times (where you can hear the machine running perfectly but there's no monitor input) and I have heard this is the one potential major flaw common to this type of computer. It hasn't done this in a few months.

Yet, they've fixed it in their more recent versions, and if I were to be purchasing a laptop I'd go Toshiba again. Bang-for-buck it's fantastic. I really like my Toshiba, and though that no-monitor-input is a serious issue, it's nothing compared to what you're going to get with other brands, most notably, the money-pit investment of a Dell laptop.

Never. Ever. Buy a Dell in laptop version. This is why they sell them to student for dirt cheap--because they are made of crap that breaks. I have several friends who have not made it through their university degrees with their initial (supposedly money-saving) Dell laptop purchases. They die a quick death.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Pretty much all the major manufacturers make good laptops.

I would encourage you to try to test it out in person before you buy. There are sometimes small quirks in laptops, that are better to figure out before you are stuck with it. (Badly placed ports and such). Also, look at where the fan(s)/vents are located on the bottom of it, and see if that's going to present a problem. (If your knee sits right under the fan, the laptop will run a lot hotter.)

Really though, there are very few "lemons" out there. After you find something that looks good, go do a search or two on it, see what the battery life and such is like.

My sister, however, got so many viruses on hers that the entire system had to be wiped clean. She has no trouble on it now, but it was such a hassle trying to heal it before we made the "fuckit" decision. So, that being the only laptop I've personally owned, I say Toshiba is a good brand.

Heh, that has absolutely nothing to do with the model/brand.

Personally, I own an Acer Aspire One netbook. It weighs under 3lbs, cost me a bit under $400, gets 4-5 hours of battery life, and is fine for normal on the go tasks. (I've got a desktop for intensive stuff.) Great device, not recommended for those with eye strain/poor vision issues though...(8.9in screen)