User Tag List

First 345

Thread: Best Laptop

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Bella View Post
    I'm actually more confused than ever.
    Contradicting opinions on just about every brand.
    The only laptop that seems to get consistently good reviews is the Lenovo T61, but it's so ugly, it breaks my heart.
    that is because consumer technology falls prey largely to opinion, which is going to be based on personal experience (that is, only one person's experience with the product), advertising, etc. "this is better than that one cause i saw the commercial and bought it, and hey, it's not complete shit, it must be the brand to get."

you're supposed to look at the monitor... anyways, as Ivy said, you could get a case skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Lenovos are supposed to be the sturdiest. This is according to my network engineer husband who tried to talk me into buying one, but I bought a Dell instead.
    that makes two industry professionals (plus the handful i know who dont post here!) who agree.

even if it is ugly as sin, you can make up for that in street cred. this is useful if you ever encounter a roving gang of IT employees... "hey, who's this girl on our turf? who does she think she is?!" "guys, it's cool, she's got an IBM, put away the staplers"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    okay, so correct me if im wrong, youre looking for something that reliable and meets your needs. those purposes are very similar to what a lot of large businesses need for their employees... and what they have chosen have been vested through a lot of research.

this was my thinking, so i looked at what a lot of enterprises favor and went with an IBM lenova, it has been exactly what i expected. they have a reputation for being tough (they do also have magnesium frame bodies available) and reliable, even if they arent particularly flashy or "fun". the performance certainly isnt lacking either.
    Are you referring to the Thinkpad series (used to be IBM, now Lenovo)?

I can vouch for these. I've used the T series for a while T20, T40, then T61. They are durable, light-weight and have long battery life. They also have a feature I have a hard time finding anywhere else--the little red button-mouse that I love, and other people seem to dislike (vastly easier to use than the touch pad, in my opinion).

My corporation and others have started moving to HPs and Macs for many engineering users, lately, however. I think they have wider screens in general.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

ibm makes great laptops, very very well made...er lenovo. im running ubuntu on it and i love it. i can run any mac application and any windows application with little effort.

EDIT:

i have the Z60M
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Are you referring to the Thinkpad series (used to be IBM, now Lenovo)?

I can vouch for these. I've used the T series for a while T20, T40, then T61. They are durable, light-weight and have long battery life. They also have a feature I have a hard time finding anywhere else--the little red button-mouse that I love, and other people seem to dislike (vastly easier to use than the touch pad, in my opinion).
    a keyboard clit?

by IBM, I do mean lenovo

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Yes, IBM/Lenovo is what was recommended to me.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by mlittrell View Post
    i have the Z60M
    The Z60m has a nice wide screen too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    a keyboard clit?
    Yes.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield