• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Laptop

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm actually more confused than ever.
Contradicting opinions on just about every brand.
The only laptop that seems to get consistently good reviews is the Lenovo T61, but it's so ugly, it breaks my heart.

that is because consumer technology falls prey largely to opinion, which is going to be based on personal experience (that is, only one person's experience with the product), advertising, etc. "this is better than that one cause i saw the commercial and bought it, and hey, it's not complete shit, it must be the brand to get."

you're supposed to look at the monitor... anyways, as Ivy said, you could get a case skin. :yes:

Lenovos are supposed to be the sturdiest. This is according to my network engineer husband who tried to talk me into buying one, but I bought a Dell instead.

that makes two industry professionals (plus the handful i know who dont post here!) who agree. :D

even if it is ugly as sin, you can make up for that in street cred. this is useful if you ever encounter a roving gang of IT employees... "hey, who's this girl on our turf? who does she think she is?!" "guys, it's cool, she's got an IBM, put away the staplers"

ygolo

My termites win
okay, so correct me if im wrong, youre looking for something that reliable and meets your needs. those purposes are very similar to what a lot of large businesses need for their employees... and what they have chosen have been vested through a lot of research.

this was my thinking, so i looked at what a lot of enterprises favor and went with an IBM lenova, it has been exactly what i expected. they have a reputation for being tough (they do also have magnesium frame bodies available) and reliable, even if they arent particularly flashy or "fun". the performance certainly isnt lacking either. :)

Are you referring to the Thinkpad series (used to be IBM, now Lenovo)?

I can vouch for these. I've used the T series for a while T20, T40, then T61. They are durable, light-weight and have long battery life. They also have a feature I have a hard time finding anywhere else--the little red button-mouse that I love, and other people seem to dislike (vastly easier to use than the touch pad, in my opinion).

My corporation and others have started moving to HPs and Macs for many engineering users, lately, however. I think they have wider screens in general.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
ibm makes great laptops, very very well made...er lenovo. im running ubuntu on it and i love it. i can run any mac application and any windows application with little effort.

EDIT:

i have the Z60M

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Are you referring to the Thinkpad series (used to be IBM, now Lenovo)?

I can vouch for these. I've used the T series for a while T20, T40, then T61. They are durable, light-weight and have long battery life. They also have a feature I have a hard time finding anywhere else--the little red button-mouse that I love, and other people seem to dislike (vastly easier to use than the touch pad, in my opinion).

a keyboard clit? :D

by IBM, I do mean lenovo

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, IBM/Lenovo is what was recommended to me.