User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Best Laptop

MBTI
    ISTJ

Aha!........I get what you're saying, mister!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    ISTJ

^ That was for Grayscale.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Sony Vaio are also nice laptops, and I am pretty sure they come in various colors.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaCat View Post
    I have an HP laptop. I've had it for about 10 months and it's working amazingly. Even when it stopped working last week, it repaired itself! (Only error it's ever had.) I was surprised. I was so scared that I would have to go to get it fixed, like with another one of my laptops which I couldn't fix myself. But I didn't.

I have the HP Pavillion dv6000. They probably have better models out now, but I love this laptop! It even has a remote control and now their laptops come in an environmentally friendly laptop carrier instead of cardboard and styrofoam packaging

I'm not sure about Dells, but we had those at school and they weren't anything special. They had errors a few time too.
    Okay, thank you. Do you get HP in green or pink?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

And they come in pink.

VAIO

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

I say neither, get a Toshiba. I'm on my second one and I swear by them. I've had Toshibas for six years, and I've had to have a repair exactly once. They're also among the most reasonably priced brands, especially at Best Buy. Dell has terrible customer service and Sony is ridiculously overpriced. I have no direct experience with HP, but I know they merged with Compaq and Compaq was terrible.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I also own a Toshiba. It was an assumed piece of shit buy.. It was on sale for $400 (after rebates of course.. but I didn't have any trouble getting those back.. it was $900 before them all. I had the last rebate back within 4 months. Only complaint was there were like 6 of them lol.) at Office Depot when they were closing to re-open elsewhere. I bought two. One for myself, and one for my sister for college which we were assumed to be in by fall of 2005. (when we bought them.) I still have mine, and it works pretty well. After spending a year traveling all over the heat and dusty weather of Iraq, my lack of caring for technology enough to learn how to keep it in good conditions, and careless downloading and such when I first got it.. it's lasted pretty well. It's a bit slow now that I use it for desktop purposes but I have little complaints on it all.

My sister, however, got so many viruses on hers that the entire system had to be wiped clean. She has no trouble on it now, but it was such a hassle trying to heal it before we made the "fuckit" decision. So, that being the only laptop I've personally owned, I say Toshiba is a good brand.

Mac, however, is not. My friend owned one and had to have it sent in for repair 3 times while in Iraq... deliveries taking to-and-fro 2 weeks each.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I say neither, get a Toshiba. I'm on my second one and I swear by them. I've had Toshibas for six years, and I've had to have a repair exactly once. They're also among the most reasonably priced brands, especially at Best Buy. Dell has terrible customer service and Sony is ridiculously overpriced. I have no direct experience with HP, but I know they merged with Compaq and Compaq was terrible.
    I also have owned a Toshiba laptop since 2004; it's still a very functional piece of equipment. My screen has blacked out 3 or 4 times (where you can hear the machine running perfectly but there's no monitor input) and I have heard this is the one potential major flaw common to this type of computer. It hasn't done this in a few months.

Yet, they've fixed it in their more recent versions, and if I were to be purchasing a laptop I'd go Toshiba again. Bang-for-buck it's fantastic. I really like my Toshiba, and though that no-monitor-input is a serious issue, it's nothing compared to what you're going to get with other brands, most notably, the money-pit investment of a Dell laptop.

Never. Ever. Buy a Dell in laptop version. This is why they sell them to student for dirt cheap--because they are made of crap that breaks. I have several friends who have not made it through their university degrees with their initial (supposedly money-saving) Dell laptop purchases. They die a quick death.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

See?! Toshiba's Ftw.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTP

Pretty much all the major manufacturers make good laptops.

I would encourage you to try to test it out in person before you buy. There are sometimes small quirks in laptops, that are better to figure out before you are stuck with it. (Badly placed ports and such). Also, look at where the fan(s)/vents are located on the bottom of it, and see if that's going to present a problem. (If your knee sits right under the fan, the laptop will run a lot hotter.)

Really though, there are very few "lemons" out there. After you find something that looks good, go do a search or two on it, see what the battery life and such is like.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    My sister, however, got so many viruses on hers that the entire system had to be wiped clean. She has no trouble on it now, but it was such a hassle trying to heal it before we made the "fuckit" decision. So, that being the only laptop I've personally owned, I say Toshiba is a good brand.
    Heh, that has absolutely nothing to do with the model/brand.

Personally, I own an Acer Aspire One netbook. It weighs under 3lbs, cost me a bit under $400, gets 4-5 hours of battery life, and is fine for normal on the go tasks. (I've got a desktop for intensive stuff.) Great device, not recommended for those with eye strain/poor vision issues though...(8.9in screen)
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%