• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cameras

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Can anyone tell me about good cameras that can do both film and digital? That exists, right?

I'm looking to invest but I have no idea where to start.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
never heard of *both* film & digital... unless they have some exotic expensive units that do such a thing?

I believe most folks who do film also have a flatbed scanner for converting them to digital, but that still does require film development.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
this isn't a natural possibility because of the digital image sensor in digicams and DSLRs. you can, however, get digital modules for very expensive professional cameras, but that's going to run you anywhere between $6,000-$10,000 and in most cases, these are significantly larger and heavier. check out leica and hasselblad, both have high-end film lines with digital modules available.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Short answer: If you need both, just shoot film and scan it.

Long answer: Why do you need both? :D

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Short answer: If you need both, just shoot film and scan it.

Long answer: Why do you need both? :D

I don't really, I guess I was just imagining the existence of something that wasn't there :D. Like I said, I know nothing and have done no research.

Okay, then just cameras that shoot film?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I've only owned two kinds of cameras in my life: Disposables, and the Olypmus 770SW. It did extremely well at being water-proof.. and did well in Iraq as well.. I dropped it one too many times though, and now the screen is blank. Overall I think it a pretty decent camera that wasn't too expensive.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I don't really, I guess I was just imagining the existence of something that wasn't there :D. Like I said, I know nothing and have done no research.

Okay, then just cameras that shoot film?

I like Ne. It makes the world an imaginarily better place. I hope you enjoy your hybrid digifilm camera. :D

See, this is why it's the long answer: more questions. ;)

• What subjects do you plan to shoot and for what purpose?
  • What's your budget?
  • Do you mostly want to just post them online screen-sized or smaller, or do you want 16 x 20 or larger prints to hang on your wall?
  • Are you considering something larger than 35 mm, like medium or large format?

If you need the photos or feedback on how they turned out fast, go digital.

If you need huge, high quality prints with stunning clarity and detail, go medium or large format film.

Whether film or digital, Canon or Nikon are both great because of the large selection and availability of lenses. You can probably get by a little cheaper with another brand of camera if you just need a standard lens or two. I use a 35 mm Pentax to shoot mostly transparency (slide) film ("E6"), and a Shen-Hao wooden large format camera with Nikon lenses to shoot E6 and black and white film (for prints). For the typical family and vacation shots, I use a Kodak "prosumer" (SLR-like, but with a fixed lens) digital camera.

If you just want to read and not answer questions :) :

Film vs. Digital

Recommended Cameras

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
What is the deal with the "Flip"? A very specific crowd of odd people seem to be bizarrely aware of its existence.

Mole

Permabanned
What's a Flip?

The internet is part of the electronic media that started well over one hundred years ago with the telegraph.

And it proceeded through the telephone, the radio, the television and now the internet.

And the electronic media, called the noosphere, have slowly been putting it all together digitally.

So now we can now hold video conversations anywhere in the world for free.

And the Flip is perfect for this.

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
I say that to myself everyday...and to Julian too of course...::le sigh::