User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Pictures

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Pictures

Okay, I have no idea if this is the place for such a question: however I will give it a go.

Now, I was wondering. I know there is software like PhotoShop out there for improving pictures. (i.e. putting different backgrounds on the pictures, brightening them up, or whatever) I was curious if there were such a program for macs. Or any suggestions at all.

Please remember: I am a technological idiot. So please, if you would be so kind, use normal English (or German) when you answer. Jargon will probably go right over my head, and then I have to ask you to explain. And that's annoying for you.

Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to answer.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Yes it's called Adobe Photoshop. It was designed for Macs in the 80s.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yes it's called Adobe Photoshop. It was designed for Macs in the 80s.
    Oh, doh!!!! Okay, so if I get that program, I should be all set???

For example, instead of a plain background, I would like to have a beautiful background, like an open meadow. Would it be possible with such a program?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Oh, doh!!!! Okay, so if I get that program, I should be all set???

For example, instead of a plain background, I would like to have a beautiful background, like an open meadow. Would it be possible with such a program?
    Yes. But Photoshop isn't cheap -- how much are you willing to spend on such software?

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Yes. But Photoshop isn't cheap -- how much are you willing to spend on such software?
    Gahhhhh it costs five billion euros. Okay, not really, but danggggg....

Does it matter what version I get? I mean, if I get a earlier (i.e. cheaper) version, will it do the same thing?

Or are there other programs that are just as good?

CS4 is like - whewwwwwwwwwww! :rolli:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Photoshop Elements is like a very basic version of the program, though I don't know much about it aside from the fact that it's quite a bit cheaper.

MBTI
    INTP

I think it also depends on how frequently and extravagantly she wants to undertake these photo "projects". If its just simple editing I'm sure you could find some freeware on the internet. I just actually got this Picassa 2 from Google that serves my basic editing needs. Uberfuhrer from my understanding you're an artist so you would probably utilize those programs much more than I would guess Little linguist would.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    xNFP

Well, yes, I guess you need to know that I'm not a professional graphic designer or anything of the sort. It would be more like a hobby just because, well, I would like to experiment in a creative way, and I'm terrible at drawing, so it would kind of be fun to do.

If there is freeware that could do the same thing, that would be great. I found some cheap, authentic versions of photoshop, but they are for students. Otherwise, I will probably have to dish out between 300-600 euros. DOH! Hmmmm....

Photoshop Elements costs around $99 I think, and it has all the features you could ever want for amateur applications like the ones you describe.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    Uberfuhrer from my understanding you're an artist so you would probably utilize those programs much more than I would guess Little linguist would.
    A few marker drawings in my profile does not make me an artist.

I haven't touched Photoshop since Version 5.5, and that was only casual. I just didn't get how to use it. Too much of a learning curve that I was too impatient with.

If I were going to manipulate a photo, I'd much rather direct someone else to do it.